highest percentage of passes dropped -

Socal-805

10 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

What about Nate's?

Allen has played the whole year.

Well, Nate mostly throws to the opposition, so I'm not sure his part in this, is that significant. ;)

Against the Chargers, there were some tough balls to catch, that better receivers should catch.  Against the Vikes, there should be no excuses - just about every ball was well placed to be caught easily, on all the drops.

11 hours ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

Boo this guy!

Just Joshing around man, lol.

Seriously though, I'm sure this all levels out as the season goes on and more chemistry is developed between Allen and the WRs.

Edited by Rookie84
Spelling

16 hours ago, Socal-805 said:

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2018/9/27/17911480/the-bills-have-the-highest-percentage-of-passes-dropped

Does anyone know what the heck is going on?

Holy freakin: CRAP!!!

I really don't understand the K.Benjamin  thing and probably never will...

I don't think the KB thing is a thing.  Look it up - since a rookie, he's been a 50% of targets caught kind of guy.  Last game, he was a 62% guy.  That's good for KB. 

He's not truly a #1.  Others have pointed out, he's used to being the guy who takes advantage of the fact that the #1 corner is covering somebody else.  So for a #2 WR who historically only catches 50% of the targets he gets, he's kind of doing as expected.  Beane may have traded for him hoping he'd take a step given the chance, so far he hasn't, but that was a hope, not a reasonable expectation for a guy now in his 5th season.

With the caveat that targets are not drops:

Week 1 10 receptions out of 27 targets, 37.0%

Week 2 12 receptions out of 22 targets, 54.5%

Week 3  11 receptions out of 17 targets, 64.7%

So at least part of what's going on:

We had a horrible first game where the only thing our guys were able to catch in the Baltimore rain was a cold

We had a blow-out second game where we were slinging it and taking some marginal shots

We had a third game where we got out to a lead early, had no need to take high-risk shots, and our catch % wasn't that remarkable

I think if it were broken down game by game, you'd find the drops track with the overall catch % - horrid the first 6 quarters, unremarkable (good or bad) the second 6 quarters.

Which team gonna show up in Green Bay tomorrow, can't tell you.

10 hours ago, BillsRdue said:

Richard Matthews is known for solid hands. He's there. But rumor is that he and Terry R don't see eye to eye.

I wondered about that. 

The evidence presented is that he didn't like Terry R's play calling as OC of Tenn.  Well, neither did Tenn

Terry R isn't calling plays here.

Seems like they should at least talk to him.  I would think, though, that wanting to see a bit more of what Allen is like as a QB might factor into it.

I'm sure he'd prefer to go to someone more established.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Bobby Hooks said:

Insult? I called you a genius. 

You took everything I wrote in the first post literally, why change it up now? 

Oh... probably because you knew exactly what I meant in my original post but had to take the opportunity to agitate instead of have a grown up discussion. Speaks to your character.

Dude, you used the word "genius" sarcastically.  Cowboy up, don't weasel.

Free clue: you're talking to a guy who has been paid money by NFL teams for college scouting reports.  He knows something.

25 minutes ago, Doc said:

I'd like to know the actual number of drops Josh has had from his WR's.  As it stands right now, he's 39/70 (55.7%).  Three drops gets him to 60%.  Eight drops gets him to 67.1%, which is about league average.

There's an interesting meta-issue behind that "average completion" number.

Last year the league average (of the 32 QB with the highest number of passing attempts) was under 63%, 62.7 to be exact.  This year, it's currently running higher, at 65%. 

Is it going to stay higher because of the new QB hit penalties, or will there be some "regression to the mean" as the season wears on?

As far as Allen, he's gone from 40% to 54% to 68% completions over the last 3 games, so I think it's probably fair to say there's been more to it than drops.  Learning to take what the D is giving him and get the ball out quickly instead of going for the game-changer on every throw is part of it.   Not having to play against the clock and throw his way out of a deficit is likely part of it too.

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

There's an interesting meta-issue behind that "average completion" number.

Last year the league average (of the 32 QB with the highest number of passing attempts) was under 63%, 62.7 to be exact.  This year, it's currently running higher, at 65%. 

Is it going to stay higher, or will there be some "regression to the mean" as the season wears on?

I wonder if this has to do with early-season conservative play-calling or, perhaps, more checkdowns early in the season.  I think 65% would be a high average, as 60% seems to be the unofficial "line" between good/bad for many people (fans).

I notice that Cleveland is second on the list. Both teams made a change at QB from one with a lesser arm to one with a stronger arm (much more so with Allen).  In addition to the change in velocity of the throws the WRs have to adjust to the new QBs haven’t had much of a (any?) chance to work with them. Things should get better with practice. 

4 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I wonder if this has to do with early-season conservative play-calling or, perhaps, more checkdowns early in the season.  I think 65% would be a high average, as 60% seems to be the unofficial "line" between good/bad for many people (fans).

It's a fair question.  You'd recognize a bunch of the top names - Brees, Carr, Goff, Cousins, Rivers - and say "yep, them guys good"
Some are newbies to a list like that (even if not to the NFL) - Fitzpatrick, Trubisky, Mahomes
Others, I wonder if checkdowns are it - Tannehill, Manning, etc.

I never looked, but it's possible that other years have started out hot and seen regression to the mean.
I think the necessary completion percentage to be good has crept up over the last 5 years or so, though. 

18 hours ago, Socal-805 said:

been saying this since training camp confirmed by the desperation move to pick up corey coleman-

The Bills have (1) legitimate starting wide receiver and he ain't that good.  The rest are not starting NFL quality receivers and most of them would need a stretch to call them legit backups.  

But- when we do develop or acquire some good ones- LOOK OUT!  

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2018/9/27/17911480/the-bills-have-the-highest-percentage-of-passes-dropped

Does anyone know what the heck is going on?

Holy freakin: CRAP!!!

I really don't understand the K.Benjamin  thing and probably never will...

55 minutes ago, Doc said:

I'd like to know the actual number of drops Josh has had from his WR's.  As it stands right now, he's 39/70 (55.7%).  Three drops gets him to 60%.  Eight drops gets him to 67.1%, which is about league average.

From the Vikings game I could count 3 although some would argue Foster's drop as a tough catch vs a drop.

I think there were 2 drops in the LA game. 

Don't remember much of the Baltimore game since I didn't really watch much after the first half.

41 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

From the Vikings game I could count 3 although some would argue Foster's drop as a tough catch vs a drop.

I think there were 2 drops in the LA game. 

Don't remember much of the Baltimore game since I didn't really watch much after the first half.

My opinion of what seems like a dropped ball never seems to match the ESPN guys scoring it so I don't try

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

I think some people confuse real football with Madden. 

Undoubtedly, but in this case, I think the difference lies in the instructions given to the ESPN scorers: Drop are "incomplete passes where the receiver SHOULD have caught the pass with ORDINARY effort" and "Only use this if the receiver is 100 percent at fault and no one else can be blamed for the incompletion"

In other words: in real football (not Madden) many of the catches good NFL WR make would not be scored as "drops" if they weren't hauled in.

If you have a former NFL QB who pulls no punches commenting the game and saying the ball was perfectly thrown, the WR needs to make that catch in "real football" or he'll be "NFL" (not for long)

I get a chuckle when some folks think that catching a 60 yrd pass when the receiver is running full speed is easy, or when an NFL receiver misses such a pass it’s because he can’t track a ball or he has poor hand eye coordination.

The greatest receiver of all time had many horrible drops.

Edited by Sky Diver

50 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

My opinion of what seems like a dropped ball never seems to match the ESPN guys scoring it so I don't try

It's hard to judge for sure.  Same as if a defender makes a hell of a play to rake the ball out.  Do you call that a drop or a great defensive play?  Not really asking just kind of saying two people could see it either way.