Sign in to follow this  
John from Riverside

For those of us who were not alive to see it, how did the class of '83 look out of the gate?

I think it is important to note that with the exception of Darnold the other QBs are playing because the starter in front of them has crapped the bed. 

There is just no possible way to know. 

Just because all 4 QBs takes in the top 10 will be starting by week 4 doesn’t mean it’s a great QB class. 

I mean, who knows, they could all flame out in 5 years time... 

We have a LONg way to go before we can even say that it’s better than many QB draft classes over the years that have produced good starters. 

Josh Allen reminds me of a hybrid John Elway/Ben Roethlisberger kind of QB.  You know, like a Ben Elway without John's horse teeth and Roethlisberger's raper face.

Edited by Peace Frog
  • Haha (+1) 7

33 minutes ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

This thread stems from the thread asking if this was already the greatest QB class ever. I was not alive in 1983, and I was wondering how some of the quarterbacks looked right out of the gate. I won't count Kelly because of the whole Houston Gamblers thing. But, how did guys like Ken O'Brien or Todd Blackledge look? Did Elway and Marino look like world-beaters from the start? I know Marino sat for a few games, but Elway started immediately. 

Kelly was in the USFL for 3 years and lit it up.

• Like (+1) 1

Marino WAS awesome, and Kelly was dead to me also. Marino was the cream of that crop. Miami just couldn’t get all of the pieces in place. Too many early round busts..

1 minute ago, matter2003 said:

Kelly was in the USFL for 3 years and lit it up.

Right. Kelly was great out of the box, but ... USFL.

Marino was one of those guys who obviously "had it" right from his first game.

Elway? That was rough. He looked kind of like Josh Allen in his first game ...

Todd Blackledge hardly played. When he did the following year, it wasn't good.

Tony Eason played a little and was awful, then pretty o.k. the next year. Ditto Ken O'Brien.

So what can we tell from this?  Well, I guess that the guys who looked ready right away actually were pretty damn good. Other than that, nothing really.

Blackledge never amounted to much. Kelly was in the USFL and off everyone's radar. Elway had some tough early games.  Marino was the one that looked great right from the start. Ultimately, they had 10 super bowl appearances between the big three with only two wins.Those QBs dominated their era. You would have thought there would be more wins in the super bowl, though. 

1 minute ago, SF Bills Fan said:

Blackledge never amounted to much. Kelly was in the USFL and off everyone's radar. Elway had some tough early games.  Marino was the one that looked great right from the start. Ultimately, they had 10 super bowl appearances between the big three with only two wins.Those QBs dominated their era. You would have thought there would be more wins in the super bowl, though. 

Almost more interesting is how people assessed these guys after their SECOND year in pro ball. (And yes, I am old enough to remember)

- Marino and Elway: both recognized as obvious franchise QBs and guys with HOF talent. Elway went 12-2 in his second year as a starter.

- Kelly: I think everyone who was paying attention believed he would make it in the NFL. But of course that hadn't happened yet, so he couldn't be ranked up there with Elway and Marino yet.

- Eason/O'Brien: I wasn't alone in thinking that the Pats and Jets had found themselves really good QBs. No, I wasn't fooled into thinking they were in the Elway/Marino class. Think Andy Dalton of 1984.

- Blackledge: he just always looked like a bust.

• Like (+1) 2

This thread title makes me feel old

• Thanks! (+1) 1

Elway was rough.  Marino was a stud.. I was too pissed off at Kelly to watch the usfl. 

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Whites Bay said:

I remember Elway really stumbling in his first year.  But I also remember him throwing INCREDIBLY hard, fast passes.  He was known for breaking fingers.

Marino went to a Super Bowl in his second year, and everyone thought it would be the first of many.  The kid was amazing.  Very, very quick release.

Eason went in 1985 and got so shell-shocked that he never recovered.

Allen reminds me of Elway.  I don't know why.

Marino in '84 is the best season by any QB, ever.

48 minutes ago, Seasons1992 said:

Elway's first few starts were NOT good but then he turned it around. He famously lined up under the guard instead of the center, IIRC.

Blackledge was arguably the best coming out based on his college performance (as Mofo brought up).

Tyrod also once lined up behind a guard, tho perhaps less famously.

Why anyone is so anxious to entertain this question in week 4 of these rookie QB's seasons is beyond me. Mayfield and Rosen haven't even started their respective 1st games. 

There is no credible way to answer.

7 minutes ago, no name said:

check back on this question in about 3 seasons.

1) I was probably too stoned to remember 

2) what no name said. 

7 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Why anyone is so anxious to entertain this question in week 4 of these rookie QB's seasons is beyond me. Mayfield and Rosen haven't even started their respective 1st games. 

There is no credible way to answer.

Why you ask.  It’s simple.  

This is a discussion that happens almost every season.  

Remind us again of what you have said about Jimmy Garappolo before he won even 5 games. 

The next Tom Brady maybe

(and better looking). 

Ok. I added that last part for chuckles.  

Edited by ShadyBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Don’t know yet.  Mixed bag from Darnold and Allen.  Baker Mayfield has played one good game.  Rosen played 4 minutes and looked okay.  LJ is at best a gadget player at this point.  We’ll see.  ‘83 was a pretty good class.

I think Mayfield,  Darnold and Allen will be top 15 franchise guys but not top 5 elite. Rosen will shine for awhile then the injuries will start piling up. Lamar is a gadget guy only. 

57 minutes ago, Whites Bay said:

I remember Elway really stumbling in his first year.  But I also remember him throwing INCREDIBLY hard, fast passes.  He was known for breaking fingers.

Marino went to a Super Bowl in his second year, and everyone thought it would be the first of many.  The kid was amazing.  Very, very quick release.

Eason went in 1985 and got so shell-shocked that he never recovered.

Allen reminds me of Elway.  I don't know why.

Allen has the legs of Elway, the arm of Marino and the heart of Kelly.

Blackledge was considered a bust in KC lasting only 5 years and 2 with Pitt.

O'Brien had a decent career (2 pro bowls) with the Jets but only got them to the playoffs 3 years and lost each in the first round.

• Like (+1) 2

Elway was definitely very good right out of the gate.

Marino was better

Kelly took off for a few years but he was killing it in the USFL

I don't know how this class compares to that one we won't know for 10 years probably.  

Better question is how does this class compare to 2004?    Manning/Rivers/Roethlisburger/bagof*icks.....

Which one will be that last one?  Hopefully not Allen

1 hour ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Don’t know yet.  Mixed bag from Darnold and Allen.  Baker Mayfield has played one good game.  Rosen played 4 minutes and looked okay.  LJ is at best a gadget player at this point.  We’ll see.  ‘83 was a pretty good class.

Agreed, tough to beat the class of 83.  You had 3 first ballot HOFers & you also had Ken Obrien, who had a pretty dam good career but doesn't get the credit since he is always compared to the other 3.  Blackledge & Eason sucked imo.

1 hour ago, RobbRiddick said:

Will take years to know and will take a hell of an effort to beat 85, or even the year of Big Ben, Eli and Rivers.

I assume everyone here has watched the 30 for 30 show 'Elway to Marino'. If you haven't, do it right now. Fantastic documentary. That entire first round was special. So many great players like Dickerson and  Matthews etc. and so many great stories behind the scenes. Fascinating that the Cowboys were desperately trying to get Elway, and for a time Bill Walsh considered trading Montana so he could go after Elway.

Even Tony Eason got his team to a Super Bowl despite having a poor career. Ken o Brien was no slouch (25,000 yards over an 11 year career).

The other factoid of useless trivia associated with the QB greats of that era (I will also include Montana even though he was already in the league before '83) that I find interesting as I'm from there originally, is that most of them came up in the steel mill geography of western PA--nicknamed the Cradle of Quarterbacks because it literally churned out so many good ones--Marino, Kelly, Montana, Hostetler, and before that, Unitas, Namath, just to name a few...good article about that here:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-1994-01-30-9401300392-story.html

• Like (+1) 1

Marino played in 11 games, starting 9 of them in his rookie season. Threw for 2200 yards, 20 TDs to 6 INTs, 7-2 record as a starter.

The following season he blew up, throwing for 5084 yards and 48 TDs.

He fell to the bottom of the first round because his senior season at Pitt wasn't great and there was a lot of rumors that he was a party hound and wouldn't take the job seriously. The Rooney's, to this day, still lament not taking Marino. They took Gabe Rivera, a nose tackle who drove drunk about six weeks into his rookie season, crashed his car at high speeds and ended up paralyzed as a result. Art Rooney, Jr. is on record saying that his dad, even toward the end of his life, would still often say, "We should've taken Marino." 

Not only was that draft incredible for QBs, producing three Hall of Famers, it also produced Hall of Famers Eric Dickerson (2nd overall), Bruce Matthews (9th overall) and Darrell Green (28th overall). 

24 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

Elway was definitely very good right out of the gate.

Marino was better

Kelly took off for a few years but he was killing it in the USFL

I don't know how this class compares to that one we won't know for 10 years probably.  

Better question is how does this class compare to 2004?    Manning/Rivers/Roethlisburger/bagof*icks.....

Which one will be that last one?  Hopefully not Allen

When Losman and Edwards were on this team, I used to say, "I wish we could take Edwards' brains and field-reading ability and merge it with Losman's athletic ability." Probably would've had a decent QB. But, Trent played scared while Losman played dumb.

Edited by blacklabel
  • Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

The other factoid of useless trivia associated with the QB greats of that era (I will also include Montana even though he was already in the league before '83) that I find interesting as I'm from there originally, is that most of them came up in the steel mill geography of western PA--nicknamed the Cradle of Quarterbacks because it literally churned out so many good ones--Marino, Kelly, Montana, Hostetler, and before that, Unitas, Namath, just to name a few...good article about that here:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-1994-01-30-9401300392-story.html

I love reading and watching stuff about the old days. The 30 for 30 shows and A Football Life are great. I watch the NFL still, but for me it's just not the same game I grew up loving. I know I sound like an old fart, but all the rule changes have hurt the sport IMO. Some were necessary but the league is so obsessed with high scoring games, and so many of the younger fans are so obsessed with fantasy that it's watered the whole thing down. 

• Thanks! (+1) 1

Sign in to follow this