For those of us who were not alive to see it, how did the class of '83 look out of the gate?

Well it certainly could turn into something special.  I still wonder about Rosen.  Idk why really but he is the one a wonder about the most.  I just dont see any fire.  He has that Jay Cutler type demeanor to me.  But he could be great who knows.

If it does turned into something truly special the Bill's were part of it again...just like we were in the Kelly draft.

Edited by Skins Malone

This thread stems from the thread asking if this was already the greatest QB class ever. I was not alive in 1983, and I was wondering how some of the quarterbacks looked right out of the gate. I won't count Kelly because of the whole Houston Gamblers thing. But, how did guys like Ken O'Brien or Todd Blackledge look? Did Elway and Marino look like world-beaters from the start? I know Marino sat for a few games, but Elway started immediately. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Don’t know yet.  Mixed bag from Darnold and Allen.  Baker Mayfield has played one good game.  Rosen played 4 minutes and looked okay.  LJ is at best a gadget player at this point.  We’ll see.  ‘83 was a pretty good class.

Rosen looked okay when he had a clean pocket. When he was under pressure, he didn’t look so hot.

I think the evaluation process was so different then. Blackledge especially, I have been a PSU fan since 1981 and I don't remember him being all that good, he was a good QB in college on a stacked team. I think scouts etc back then valued wins and team success in college more then they do now.

8 minutes ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

This thread stems from the thread asking if this was already the greatest QB class ever. I was not alive in 1983, and I was wondering how some of the quarterbacks looked right out of the gate. I won't count Kelly because of the whole Houston Gamblers thing. But, how did guys like Ken O'Brien or Todd Blackledge look? Did Elway and Marino look like world-beaters from the start? I know Marino sat for a few games, but Elway started immediately. 

Elway's first few starts were NOT good but then he turned it around. He famously lined up under the guard instead of the center, IIRC.

Blackledge was arguably the best coming out based on his college performance (as Mofo brought up).

• Like (+1) 1