Ranking of QBs from past 2 drafts

racketmaster

How could you even include the QB's from this season? I mean, even including QB's from last season is a stretch.

Let's discuss a couple years from now. I guerentee it will look a LOT different by then.

9 hours ago, No Place To Hyde said:

Heard on radio today (and again...small sample size) that Watson has never won an NFL game where he has trailed at any point. 

He has come back to put them ahead late in the 4th Quarter multiple times. Hasn't had any help from the defense. 

16 hours ago, no name said:

no way can I can compare the failed EJ Manuel to the up and coming Josh Allen. they don't even compare and Allen has shown me much more potential in his first two games then EJ did in his.

stats are stats but to me Allen looks like the real deal and feel no one will have to worry about him ending up in the raiders boneyard...

You are assuming that because Manuel ended up being a bust that his play sucked from the very beginning and because Allen has done well in his first two starts that he's going to be successful.  That's not how things go -- as numerous posters have shown by their examples.   It takes about 3 years to determine the quality of a starting QB, and that evaluation can be distorted by a number of factors,  including coaching and team talent.  

Furthermore, it's not as simple as either a QB is great or he's a bust.  Very few starting QBs in the league are great, and the busts don't last long as starters, so the majority of starting QBs are on a spectrum from very good to mediocre to solid-backup-but-not-really-a-starter.  I'd put guys like Tannehill, Carr, Winston, Mariota, Keenum, Cousins, Smith, Prescott all in this middle group.  Complicating matters is the fact that QBs can look really good or really bad for a short time or an extended period,  frequently because of the team around them and coaching.  The definitive example of this, of course, is ol' FitzMagic himself, but JP Losman had a respectable season in 2006 and looked to be on his way to being a decent NFL QB before the wheels fell off his cart.

17 hours ago, Philo Beddoe said:

Much better than the "actually bad Cowboys"!

Speaking of which, Prescott has REALLY taken a step back. I think that team around him his rookie year made him look much better than he actually is. 

I think, for most QBs, it is hard to separate their level of success from the talent of the team around them. The truly great ones seem to maintain a greater, and more consistent, level of success even with lesser talent.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

You realize Rosen hasn't played hardly at all, right?

Yes that’s exactly my point. He’s barely played and when he did he did absolutely nothing. Allen as of now should be ranked higher than Rosen. 

19 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Rosen has played 5 minutes.  This rankings are completely insane.  Are they going to switch the list after every game?

The list is a joke. 

4 hours ago, SoTier said:

You are assuming that because Manuel ended up being a bust that his play sucked from the very beginning and because Allen has done well in his first two starts that he's going to be successful.  That's not how things go -- as numerous posters have shown by their examples.   It takes about 3 years to determine the quality of a starting QB, and that evaluation can be distorted by a number of factors,  including coaching and team talent.  

Furthermore, it's not as simple as either a QB is great or he's a bust.  Very few starting QBs in the league are great, and the busts don't last long as starters, so the majority of starting QBs are on a spectrum from very good to mediocre to solid-backup-but-not-really-a-starter.  I'd put guys like Tannehill, Carr, Winston, Mariota, Keenum, Cousins, Smith, Prescott all in this middle group.  Complicating matters is the fact that QBs can look really good or really bad for a short time or an extended period,  frequently because of the team around them and coaching.  The definitive example of this, of course, is ol' FitzMagic himself, but JP Losman had a respectable season in 2006 and looked to be on his way to being a decent NFL QB before the wheels fell off his cart.

I never said he was going to be successful. I said he looks like the real deal, never said he was, yet.

in another thread I said

you're barking up the wrong tree mac. one thing is certain though, EJ was a bust and it didn't take long to figure that out and certainly did not take three years in his case. given that, Allen has played two games with last weeks game showing some promise and one should have a more clear idea of where he may stand in the future after this season?

he may join EJ in the QB boneyard, or he may succeed?

time will tell...