Ranking of QBs from past 2 drafts

racketmaster

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000967033/article/qb-index-week-4-ranking-qbs-from-past-two-drafts

Here’s a link to NFL.com’s qb rankings of the quarterbacks from past 2 drafts. At least Allen was ranked ahead of Trubisky and Beathard. 

Personally, I’d go Mahomes (but he has a ridiculous amount of weapons so it is hard to say whether he could carry a team), Mayfield (was very impressive the other night but limited action), and then Allen. 

Watson is nice but seems to have regressed from last year. Never been a big Rosen fan and he has done nothing yet and Darnold was impressive week 1 but has been shaky since. 

5 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Anyone else feel that Watson has come back down to earth a bit?

He's having trouble reading blitzes I've noticed. Still going to be a solid QB, but he's never going to consistently look like the all-pro he was at first, IMO.

23 minutes ago, ChuckMan08 said:

So Rosen is ranked ahead of Allen based on what?  College is over. Rank them based on what they’ve done in the NFL. Allen easily out ranks Rosen in all categories as of now. 

Rosen has played 5 minutes.  This rankings are completely insane.  Are they going to switch the list after every game?

17 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

This list would be cool...if it was made two years from now.  

He did call it “ridiculously premature”, but maybe should have added “but I didn’t write something they weren’t going to pay me”. 

I agree it is too early to make definitive statements but it would not be very interesting to wait 5 years to see how these guys are playing. 

Also, I think more often than not we can tell early on whether a qb can play or not. 

Luck, Wilson, Newton all showed well from the start. RGIII played really well but injuries caused him to rely less on his legs and he was not prepared enough as a pocket passer. 

Guys like Bortles, Manuel, Geno Smith, Blaine Gabbert have really been less than impressive from the start. 

One player that that drastically improved was Goff but he went from probably the worst offensive coaching to the best. But there still was a huge difference so nothing is set in stone at this point. 

Just now, racketmaster said:

I agree it is too early to make definitive statements but it would not be very interesting to wait 5 years to see how these guys are playing. 

Also, I think more often than not we can tell early on whether a qb can play or not. 

Luck, Wilson, Newton all showed well from the start. RGIII played really well but injuries caused him to rely less on his legs and he was not prepared enough as a pocket passer. 

Guys like Bortles, Manuel, Geno Smith, Blaine Gabbert have really been less than impressive from the start. 

One player that that drastically improved was Goff but he went from probably the worst offensive coaching to the best. But there still was a huge difference so nothing is set in stone at this point. 

EJ Manuel had a better rookie year than Goff.

Just now, Augie said:

At the end of each quarter, more clicks that way. 

I mean that’s our society now.  You don’t get on television by saying it’s only been 3 games, let’s be patient and not evaluate too soon.

1 minute ago, racketmaster said:

That’s why I listed Goff as an outlier. But Manuel had an up and down season and never really made improvement from his first few starts. 

But you could go with other guys like Rodgers and Brady who didn’t play as rookies. Peyton struggles big time, along with a lot of other qbs.  Alex Smith threw 1 td and 11 ints.  

The quarterback position so difficult it’s hard to conclude things one way or another so quickly.

Long story short, I think it is safe to say that when qb plays well early his odds of being a success are greater than if he plays poorly. So there are no guarantees but as more information comes in on these guys, the clearer the picture will be. Let’s just hope Allen continues to play well as that would be a great sign for the future. 

Just now, racketmaster said:

Long story short, I think it is safe to say that when qb plays well early his odds of being a success are greater than if he plays poorly. So there are no guarantees but as more information comes in on these guys, the clearer the picture will be. Let’s just hope Allen continues to play well as that would be a great sign for the future. 

Honest question: were Allen’s 2 starts better than EJ’s first 2?  

The key with allen will be being consistent.

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

But you could go with other guys like Rodgers and Brady who didn’t play as rookies. Peyton struggles big time, along with a lot of other qbs.  Alex Smith threw 1 td and 11 ints.  

The quarterback position so difficult it’s hard to conclude things one way or another so quickly.

I agree, there are a lot of problems when doing this but I still think it is useful to get an idea of what these guys will be. 

Think of it it this way, how much weight do you think an NFL gm would place on evaluating a qb prospect if they could magically see him play even just 3 NFL games. I think it would be huge in the evaluation but maybe that is just me.

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Honest question: were Allen’s 2 starts better than EJ’s first 2?  

The key with allen will be being consistent.

Yes. For sure. First, there has been limited supporting cast, at least EJ had Stevie at wr. But Allen has improved from his first 2 quarters of play and Allen was actually playing great football on the road last week. If you just walked in and started watching the game last week knowing nothing about Allen, one might ask who the heck is that big tall qb running past, jumping over and throwing accurate passes when extending plays. He was special at times and the best EJ ever was in his career was promising at the beginning.