Has anyone posted about the Bills rally Friday?

It's called BLUE FRIDAY and is downtown at Fountain Plaza. Players and Alumni will be there to kick off the season. It's taking the place of Jumbogate.

I can get more info if any of you are interested it is at 5:30pm

It's called BLUE FRIDAY and is downtown at Fountain Plaza.  Players and Alumni will be there to kick off the season.  It's taking the place of Jumbogate.

I can get more info if any of you are interested it is at 5:30pm

21180[/snapback]

89...Why did you have to remind that there is no more Jumbogate? I still think the league ruling on this is a joke and the charity that benefited from this is getting screwed.

I'm going to try and be there. Thanks for the heads up.

:rolleyes::o

89...Why did you have to remind that there is no more Jumbogate?  I still think the league ruling on this is a joke and the charity that benefited from this is getting screwed.

I'm going to try and be there.  Thanks for the heads up.

:rolleyes:  :o

21499[/snapback]

can someone explain to me the whole story of Jumbogate being cancelled, all I've ever heard is that were no longer allowed to hold the event due to "inflexible nfl rules", what gives?

I believe that this is the same charity that had Jumbogate. It was something about broadcasting the game I think. Totally stupid on the NFL's part but at least the Bills stepped it up with this Blue Friday and are having many players participate.

Sounds like the beginning of bigger and better Blue Fridays to come. The Friday before the season opens. What great timing.

Guest Answer Man
can someone explain to me the whole story of Jumbogate being cancelled, all I've ever heard is that were no longer allowed to hold the event due to "inflexible nfl rules", what gives?

21510[/snapback]

Basicly it came to how they count TV audiences.

Since events like Jumbotron are not rated by Neilsons they (NFL and broadcasters) feel it depresses ratings which costs NFL (thru future licensing) and broadcasters (thru ratings) money.

An article on it from last year in Buffalo Business Journal:

http://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/stories.../28/story4.html

This Rally is from 5:30 - 9 PM It is free. Food and beverages are avail. for a fee.

They have 23 Alumni signed up so far and will E-mail me the press release to post later. You can park at HSBC and do the Metro rail to the site.

andre reed

Joe D.

Steve Tasker

T. Donahoe

Alex Van Pelt

Ed Rutkowski

Joe Cribbs

.. they are all suppose to come...

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Media Contact

Heritage Centers Julie A. Doerr Skalski

Louis J. Billittier Center (716) 856-4202 ext. 202

101 Oak Street FAX (716) 856-3312

Buffalo, NY 14203 jskalski@heritagecenters.org www.heritagecenters.org

BLUE FRIDAY TO CELEBRATE ITS ROOKIE YEAR

Bills inspired event will replace Jumbogate

(BUFFALO, NY, August 11, 2004) – Heritage Centers and its fundraising arm, the Heritage-Oak Foundation, working in conjunction with the Buffalo Bills and Buffalo Place, have come up with 2004’s answer to Jumbogate. These organizations are proud to introduce Blue Friday, a huge Buffalo Bills pep rally in celebration of the Bills 2004 home opener against the Jacksonville Jaguars. Blue Friday will take place on Friday, September 10, 2004 at 5:30 p.m. in Fountain Plaza, downtown Buffalo. The chairman of Blue Friday is none other than former Buffalo Bills free safety and current Heritage-Oak Foundation board member Kurt Schulz. The rally will also feature several past and present members of the Buffalo Bills organization (including the 1964 -’65 AFL championship team), the Buffalo Jills, local dignitaries and thousands of screaming Bills fans. The Blue Friday pep rally is free and open to the public.

“When Jumbogate was over, we were disappointed, and so were many Bills fans in Western New York,” said Michael L. Gross, Heritage Centers executive director. “But now, with Blue Friday, we have an even bigger event, outdoors, offering the Bills faithful the chance to send their team to the home gridiron with literally a deafening cheer and a lot of spirit. We could not ask for a better fundraiser, and we could not have had better cooperation from the Bills - they really stepped up to help us out.”

(MORE)

Blue Friday will include invigorating cheers lead by the Buffalo Jills, motivating speeches from the podium, dancing and entertainment provided by Universal Grille and much, much more. Also, moderately priced tickets will be sold at the event that can be used to purchase beer, pop and food.

Sponsors of the event include Joe Basil Chevrolet, KeyBank, Pepsi, Labatt Blue, Lamar Advertising, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Western New York, Business First, WKBW-TV, WGRF-FM 97 Rock, The Martin Group, xpedx, National Fire Adjustment, Parkview Health Service, K.D. Supply Corporation and Try-It Distributing. All proceeds from Blue Friday (through sponsorships) will benefit the Heritage-Oak Foundation, supporting Heritage Centers and people with disabilities.

Parents founded Heritage Centers (formerly the Erie County Association for Retarded Children) in 1951 at a time when services for the disabled were limited. Now, the agency has evolved into a $27 million nonprofit that employs over 800 people locally and serves over 3,000 individuals with disabilities and their families each year. Services offered include educational, vocational, legal and advocacy and residential.

# # #