WR Prospect talk

Dkollidas

after all the FA moves the Bills have made, I am guessing they will go BPA, which most likely will be OT or DL(unless Devon White falls), rating higher than DK.  And we put off drafting WR until round 2 or later.  Again, all conjecture.  And if we trade back, all bets are off

There is much depth in draft at WR.  And with Beasley, Brown, Foster, Zay, Duke...there are other areas on team that an be improved with early picks.  We might be able to land a quality WR in round 4 or 5

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

ESPN+ article breaking down the title game

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2020/insider/story/_/id/28439834/kiper-mcshay-2020-cfp-national-championship-game-preview-top-lsu-clemson-nfl-draft-prospects

Relevant portion to this thread:

Who's the better wide receiver prospect, LSU's Justin Jefferson or Clemson's Tee Higgins?

McShay: Man, this is an extremely tough call. I have identical grades for them (88), and Jefferson (No. 19) is ranked one spot ahead of Higgins (No. 20). Sure, Higgins is bigger (6-4, 205) and I think he has a higher ceiling. But Jefferson is more consistent, and his ability to generate late separation and make contested catches jumps out on tape. He absolutely torched an overmatched Oklahoma secondary for 14 catches, 227 yards and four touchdowns in the semifinal.

Kiper: The biggest knock on Higgins is his inability to consistently create separation, and you really saw it against Ohio State. He caught just four of seven targets for 33 yards. He can high-point the ball and outjump defensive backs, but he's not going to wow you with his speed. As you mentioned, the arrow is pointing up on Jefferson, which is why I'll have him slightly higher than Higgins in my next position rankings. Both have the chance to be first-round picks in April, though the combine will be important for them to show off their speed and agility.

Edited by DCOrange

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

I'm through 20 WRs. I don't think there's a single receiver I want more than Justin Jefferson.

BH13 ? Take

Really?  What stood out to you?  I watched his tape and thought he looked thin and slow, and wasted a ton of time at his release from the LOS.   Hell of a blocker though, Ill give him that. 

9 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

Really?  What stood out to you?  I watched his tape and thought he looked thin and slow, and wasted a ton of time at his release from the LOS.   Hell of a blocker though, Ill give him that. 

Yea I am not a lover of him either. I know he is not popular here (not sure why... maybe it is the scars of Clemson draft picks past..... CJ, Sammy, Shaq....) but after the general consensus top 3 - CeeDee and the two 'Bama boys - Tee Higgins is the next name on my list. I caveat this with the fact that I have still got some work to do on the receivers.... I reserve the right to change my mind later!

I know it is boring and I don't like just giving the same boring consensus order that the talking heads seem to have but this year on the receiver class I think they have it right and I do think the top 4 is:

1A - Jeudy

1B - Lamb

3 - Ruggs

4 - Higgins

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

First and foremost he comes down with the ball. Contested or otherwise. And I feel like that's the skillset we are missing the most. We have a speed guy and a 1,000 yard guy in John Brown, we have a quick twitch get open early guy in Beasley, and we even have a decent gadget guy in McKenzie, but we need a reliable guy that makes a play when you need him to and I watched Jefferson do it time and again. His tape isn't always flashy, and at times other players even popped more, but when it came to a clutch score or the red zone he was completely in his element. 

Second, consistent production in the SEC West. In the 28 games he played over the past two seasons he had 50+ yards 23 times, he had at least 4 catches 22 times, and he had 24 TDs. In this way he kind of reminds me of AJ Green - his frame also reminds me of AJ.

And, as you mentioned, he's a willing blocker.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea I am not a lover of him either. I know he is not popular here (not sure why... maybe it is the scars of Clemson draft picks past..... CJ, Sammy, Shaq....) but after the general consensus top 3 - CeeDee and the two 'Bama boys - Tee Higgins is the next name on my list. I caveat this with the fact that I have still got some work to do on the receivers.... I reserve the right to change my mind later!

I know it is boring and I don't like just giving the same boring consensus order that the talking heads seem to have but this year on the receiver class I think they have it right and I do think the top 4 is:

1A - Jeudy

1B - Lamb

3 - Ruggs

4 - Higgins

I dont mind Higgins.  I get the concerns about his long speed, but his release at the LOS is good enough and he plays with a lot of dog.     I am through about 18 guys so far, just the game tape and analysis, havent gone through and given them scores yet.    I was surprised with a couple players, specifically thought Lamb is really consistent but for me his tape doesn't jump out at me like Ruggs or Reagor.    Lamb is a very consistent player, great hands great route running but something is lacking for me when I watch him.  I don't think he is going to kill the combine, if he is smart he wont run the 40 until his pro day because I dont think he is going to run much better than a 4.45.  Another guy this board loves is Shenault, I get that he is a swiss army knife at 6'2 220, just not quite as impressive as some of the other guys around his rankings.    He isnt a blazer at his size, he does have incredible hands, but he is inconsistent in other areas.   I dont think he is going to be the type of guy who can make explosive plays at the next level.  Good contact balance, shifty, but the lack of explosive speed is a bit concerning.   Have to see what he does at the combine, his team definitely made it difficult to discern some of his tape.

I am incredibly impressed with Henry Ruggs III, he is the most dynamic player at the position in this draft.  He really does it all, hands, routes, out of this world in the open field, and incredible blocker for a "smaller" wideout.   What concerns me is his size, he is listed at 6'0 190, but I have a feeling he is going to come in shy of that.  If thats the case you need to move him down because its likely he wont be able to play outside in the NFL.  But at this point I have them ranked like this.

1. Jeudy

2. Ruggs

3. Lamb

4. Reagor

5. Higgins

6. Shenault

7, Collin Johnson

8. Pittman Jr.

9. Brandon Aiyuk

10. Denzel Mims

11. Van Jefferson

12. Justin Jefferson

13. Chase Claypool

14. Tyler Johnson

15. Donovan Peoples-Jones

16. Gabe Davis

17. K.J. Hill

18. Isaiah Hodgins

8 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

First and foremost he comes down with the ball. Contested or otherwise. And I feel like that's the skillset we are missing the most. We have a speed guy and a 1,000 yard guy in John Brown, we have a quick twitch get open early guy in Beasley, and we even have a decent gadget guy in McKenzie, but we need a reliable guy that makes a play when you need him to and I watched Jefferson do it time and again. His tape isn't always flashy, and at times other players even popped more, but when it came to a clutch score or the red zone he was completely in his element. 

Second, consistent production in the SEC West. In the 28 games he played over the past two seasons he had 50+ yards 23 times, he had at least 4 catches 22 times, and he had 24 TDs. In this way he kind of reminds me of AJ Green - his frame also reminds me of AJ.

And, as you mentioned, he's a willing blocker.

His hands are impressive, I agree there.  I was just surprised at his lack of explosion for a slighter guy.   I am not sure if it was the Auburn or Georgia game, but his blocking against linebackers was maybe the best bit of blocking I'd seen by a wideout this year.    I just worry about all the movement he wastes at the LOS, he needs to get off the ball clean because of his lack of elite speed.   It did work for someone like Stevie Johnson though, so ya never know.

Edited by thenorthremembers
  • Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

I dont mind Higgins.  I get the concerns about his long speed, but his release at the LOS is good enough and he plays with a lot of dog.     I am through about 18 guys so far, just the game tape and analysis, havent gone through and given them scores yet.    I was surprised with a couple players, specifically thought Lamb is really consistent but for me his tape doesn't jump out at me like Ruggs or Reagor.    Lamb is a very consistent player, great hands great route running but something is lacking for me when I watch him.  I don't think he is going to kill the combine, if he is smart he wont run the 40 until his pro day because I dont think he is going to run much better than a 4.45.  Another guy this board loves is Shenault, I get that he is a swiss army knife at 6'2 220, just not quite as impressive as some of the other guys around his rankings.    He isnt a blazer at his size, he does have incredible hands, but he is inconsistent in other areas.   I dont think he is going to be the type of guy who can make explosive plays at the next level.  Good contact balance, shifty, but the lack of explosive speed is a bit concerning.   Have to see what he does at the combine, his team definitely made it difficult to discern some of his tape.

I am incredibly impressed with Henry Ruggs III, he is the most dynamic player at the position in this draft.  He really does it all, hands, routes, out of this world in the open field, and incredible blocker for a "smaller" wideout.   What concerns me is his size, he is listed at 6'0 190, but I have a feeling he is going to come in shy of that.  If thats the case you need to move him down because its likely he wont be able to play outside in the NFL.  But at this point I have them ranked like this.

1. Jeudy

2. Ruggs

3. Lamb

4. Reagor

5. Higgins

6. Shenault

7, Collin Johnson

8. Pittman Jr.

9. Brandon Aiyuk

10. Denzel Mims

11. Van Jefferson

12. Justin Jefferson

13. Chase Claypool

14. Tyler Johnson

15. Donovan Peoples-Jones

16. Gabe Davis

17. K.J. Hill

18. Isaiah Hodgins

His hands are impressive, I agree there.  I was just surprised at his lack of explosion for a slighter guy.   I am not sure if it was the Auburn or Georgia game, but his blocking against linebackers was maybe the best bit of blocking I'd seen by a wideout this year.    I just worry about all the movement he wastes at the LOS, he needs to get off the ball clean because of his lack of elite speed.   It did work for someone like Stevie Johnson though, so ya never know.

I agree on Lamb's lack of "pop" but I just think he is such a well rounded prospect. I also doubt he runs faster than 4.45, he will likely be around 4.50 I think. But he reminds me a bit of AJ Brown who I had as my #1 receiver last year in that he just does everything well and consistently. Brown only ran a 4.49 and I moved him from clear 1st round grade to borderline 1st round grade as a result and that in hindsight was a mistake I should have stuck to my guns on him. I'm convinced Lamb will be a successful pro even if his ceiling is probably a little below that of say a Ruggs. I haven't watched a ton of Reagor yet, but at the moment I have him pegged as a round 2 prospect. He just feels a bit one trick pony to me - is that harsh in your view?

44 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I agree on Lamb's lack of "pop" but I just think he is such a well rounded prospect. I also doubt he runs faster than 4.45, he will likely be around 4.50 I think. But he reminds me a bit of AJ Brown who I had as my #1 receiver last year in that he just does everything well and consistently. Brown only ran a 4.49 and I moved him from clear 1st round grade to borderline 1st round grade as a result and that in hindsight was a mistake I should have stuck to my guns on him. I'm convinced Lamb will be a successful pro even if his ceiling is probably a little below that of say a Ruggs. I haven't watched a ton of Reagor yet, but at the moment I have him pegged as a round 2 prospect. He just feels a bit one trick pony to me - is that harsh in your view?

Yeah, for sure watch Reagor and your opinion will change.     He is probably a late 1st to 2nd round guy, but man is he explosive and he provides a team special teams ability as well.   He needs to get better in the blocking game, and he has inconsistent hands, but his catch radius for a smaller guy is impressive.   Reminds me a ton of Curtis Samuel.   He doesnt give a team much in terms of an X wideout, but he can play the Z and the Slot easily enough.   Runs smooth routes, releases really well at the LOS, great body control on contested catches, and is exceptional with the ball in his hands.  The thing I really loved about his speed which I find unique is its not just straight line I run the "9" really well speed.  Its both vertical and horizontal, he simply doesnt slow down when cutting.  Has the "cut on a dime" make guys miss speed.

On Lamb, I call him Mr. Consistent.   He does everything pretty well, just dont see him as elite.    The problem he may run into if he doesn't have the speed element at the next level is he may become a one dimensional possession guy.   He runs good routes, but he does get bumped easily when going across the middle because he is thin.    The difference between he and Brown is the latter is built like a mack truck, and is extremely physical.    

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.