Sign in to follow this  
Dkollidas

WR Prospect talk

Every time I see a good WR that the Bills desperately need (like a Hill), the kid is an underclassman.  So frustrating.

I still think Anthony Johnson will end up being one of the best WR to come out of this class.  He is extremely good at tracking the ball.

For those that have a subscription with The Athletic:

https://theathletic.com/637156/2018/11/07/draft-alert-breaking-down-3-wide-receivers-who-could-be-game-changers-for-the-bills-in-2019/

For those that don't, Erik Turner (Cover1) suggests N'Keal Harry, Hollywood Brown, and AJ Brown as guys that would be a good fit for the Daboll's scheme/Allen's skillset.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2018/11/07/perfect-pairs-between-2018-qb-class-and-2019-rookies/

In this link, Kyle Crabbs of the Draft Network looks at each rookie QB and pairs them with a prospect for the upcoming draft. For Josh Allen, he pairs him with DK Metcalf from Ole Miss, saying:

Nobody threw a prettier deep ball in the 2018 QB class than Josh Allen. When Allen had an open target down the field, he rarely passed on the chance to let it fly.

Just one problem: Buffalo doesn’t have that kind of receiver on the roster…unless Metcalf is healthy (and declares for the draft). Then, all bets are off. I can’t think of a better marriage of strengths for any two player than Metcalf’s deep ball skills and dynamic play making with Josh Allen’s big arm.

Allen’s best targets in 2018 have been a budding (but still developing) second year receiver in Zay Jones and…gulp…Kelvin Benjamin. If Benjamin’s stats were half as inflated as his ego (or his waistband), the Bills would be in much better shape.

But alas, neither is true.

Edited by DCOrange

I am banging on the table for Anthony Johnson.  He is 6'2 and the best deep threat in this class.  Just what Josh and the Bills offense need

I would love to see the Bills trade down, get some more picks, draft Johnson, and load up on offense

• Like 2

13 hours ago, DCOrange said:

For those that have a subscription with The Athletic:

https://theathletic.com/637156/2018/11/07/draft-alert-breaking-down-3-wide-receivers-who-could-be-game-changers-for-the-bills-in-2019/

For those that don't, Erik Turner (Cover1) suggests N'Keal Harry, Hollywood Brown, and AJ Brown as guys that would be a good fit for the Daboll's scheme/Allen's skillset.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2018/11/07/perfect-pairs-between-2018-qb-class-and-2019-rookies/

In this link, Kyle Crabbs of the Draft Network looks at each rookie QB and pairs them with a prospect for the upcoming draft. For Josh Allen, he pairs him with DK Metcalf from Ole Miss, saying:

Physically, Metcalf is Kelvin Benjamin 2.0, but it makes sense that a big target would be a good fit for a strong armed QB.

Allen is going to have to gain a lot of confidence if that's gonna work. Gotta trust his receiver to make a play on a 50/50 ball. 

It may be counterintuitive from a physical standpoint, but I'd rather see them take Marquis Brown because he's going to get so much separation. Obviously we'd have to take Brown very early and Metcalf could conceivably be there in the second.

By my count, Buffalo has now scouted 14 WR/TEs that have been mentioned as potential 1st/2nd round picks (well, I guess 13 since DK Metcalf was out this past weekend, but I'm sure they did some sniffing around about him while they were in town):

WRs:

N'Keal Harry

JJ Arcega-Whiteside

Hollywood Brown

Anthony Johnson

Riley Ridley

AJ Brown

DK Metcalf

Demarkus Lodge

Deebo Samuel

Bryan Edwards

TEs:

Noah Fant

Albert Okwuegbunam

Kaden Smith

Irv Smith

Edited by DCOrange

19 hours ago, DCOrange said:

Trash.  No Anthony Johnson in top 10 is laughable.  Some of those dudes on that list couldn't hold Johnson's jock strap.

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Watching a lot of Deebo Samuel today. I love him for us. Parris Campbell is another that I want. 

Yep, and Beane and Schoen (or however you spell it) just got to watch Deebo in person too; definitely seems like a guy to keep an eye on in the offseason.

7 hours ago, Ittakestime said:

Trash.  No Anthony Johnson in top 10 is laughable.  Some of those dudes on that list couldn't hold Johnson's jock strap.

He seems to be a very divisive prospect. I've seen him listed around the #20 WR in the class by multiple reputable draft guys and then some people like Pro Football Focus for example see him as like a top 3-5 WR in this class. He seems to have a pretty gigantic range right now.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Yep, and Beane and Schoen (or however you spell it) just got to watch Deebo in person too; definitely seems like a guy to keep an eye on in the offseason.

He seems to be a very divisive prospect. I've seen him listed around the #20 WR in the class by multiple reputable draft guys and then some people like Pro Football Focus for example see him as like a top 3-5 WR in this class. He seems to have a pretty gigantic range right now.

I know people are hung up on these big bodied “open when they aren’t” guys. Not me, give me separation and explosion. Samuel is a decent size and runs throw tackles. He can also go the distance. I’d love to add both of those guys.

I know people are hung up on these big bodied “open when they aren’t” guys. Not me, give me separation and explosion. Samuel is a decent size and runs throw tackles. He can also go the distance. I’d love to add both of those guys.

I like big bodied guys who get separation and explosion :D

10 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

I like big bodied guys who get separation and explosion :D

I’m not against that. My point is that if it is big like Benjamin OR a route runner like Doug Baldwin I’d rather Baldwin.

Antonio Brown is the ultimate prototype. He runs the whole route tree, gains separation, takes it to the house.  Big plays are so important in today’s NFL. 

Edited by Kirby Jackson

5 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I’m not against that. My point is that if it is big like Benjamin OR a route runner like Doug Baldwin I’d rather Baldwin.

Antonio Brown is the ultimate prototype. He runs the whole route tree, gains separation, takes it to the house.  Big plays are so important in today’s NFL. 

Benjamin doesn't put in the effort, I would take Mike Evans all day. (Who I wanted instead of Watkins)

I'm still hoping we can get DK Metcalf and Hakim Butler .

AB is great but I think he is an exception, don't like most guys his size.

But I will take any WR that is a stud regardless of size.

2 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Benjamin doesn't put in the effort, I would take Mike Evans all day. (Who I wanted instead of Watkins)

I'm still hoping we can get DK Metcalf and Hakim Butler .

AB is great but I think he is an exception, don't like most guys his size.

But I will take any WR that is a stud regardless of size.

I think that the bolded is the most important part. We have a MASSIVE need and hopefully they can raise the talent level. It shouldn’t be tough to do. 

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I think that the bolded is the most important part. We have a MASSIVE need and hopefully they can raise the talent level. It shouldn’t be tough to do. 

what do you think of this being a down year  for WRs ?

Just now, Buffalo Barbarian said:

what do you think of this being a down year  for WRs ?

It doesn’t look as good as 2020 which is loaded but it is better than last year. I’m not sure that there are a ton of future number 1 receivers in this draft but there will be some. It also feels like a good group on day 2. There are a bunch of guys that could be like “Robert Woods quality.” 

If the Bills did something like signed Tyrell Williams, drafted Kelvin Harmon and Parris Campbell they would be a mile ahead of where they are now. I’m not sure that they’d have a Hopkins or Brown that dominates but they, along with Zay, would be a balanced WR room. 

It doesn’t look as good as 2020 which is loaded but it is better than last year. I’m not sure that there are a ton of future number 1 receivers in this draft but there will be some. It also feels like a good group on day 2. There are a bunch of guys that could be like “Robert Woods quality.” 

If the Bills did something like signed Tyrell Williams, drafted Kelvin Harmon and Parris Campbell they would be a mile ahead of where they are now. I’m not sure that they’d have a Hopkins or Brown that dominates but they, along with Zay, would be a balanced WR room. 

Sounds right but I think these kids are a bit better than Woods was, guess time will tell.

We just might go defense first round but I'm really hoping we can get Jonah Williams, his pass blocking is exceptional.

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

5 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Watching a lot of Deebo Samuel today. I love him for us. Parris Campbell is another that I want. 

What do you think of OK's Marquise Brown in the second? He's got speed but size may be an issue. He opens up the field and makes plays. 

15 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Sounds right but I think these kids are a bit better than Woods was, guess time will tell.

We just might go defense first round but I'm really hoping we can get Jonah Williams, his pass blocking is exceptional.

It depends to me on where we end up picking. I’d probably go defense in the top 3 to 5. Those players are a tier above IMO. If they pick later than that there are some offensive options (including Williams) that would be good picks. 

I think that that some of these guys may be better than Woods too. The point that I was trying to make is that I think there are a bunch of guys that can be 60 catch, 800 yard and 7 TD types. You COULD conceivably end up with 2 guys like that. 

Just now, JohnC said:

What do you think of OK's Marquise Brown in the second? He's got speed but size may be an issue. He opens up the field and makes plays. 

He is so explosive. Brown could possibly break 4.3. He’d add some much needed speed and big play ability to pair with Allen.

I think that Allen is never going to be a guy that dinks and dunks down the field. His ball placement isnt like a Brees. What Allen can do is zing the ball down the field. The Bills will score with explosive plays. Brown is the type of guy that can do that. 

• Like 1