WR Prospect talk

Dkollidas

5 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Thought this was a good Twitter thread discussing WR prospects.  Apologies if I missed it being linked elsewhere.  No idea who this guy is.

Do we really believe there will be 3 or 4 WR drafted in the top 20 this year with all the depth?

Or will teams take the view they can wait to draft a WR and go for positions with less depth?

Henry Ruggs favored to run fastest Combine 40

Posted by Michael David Smith on February 18, 2020, 6:36 AM EST

With the NFL moving Scouting Combine workouts into prime time, the league is hoping for increased interest — which of course comes with betting on the Combine.

Some sports books have started taking bets on the player who will run the fastest 40-yard dash, and the favorite is Alabama wide receiver Henry Ruggs III.

Ruggs is a deep threat who had 40 catches for 746 yards last season, an average of 18.6 yards per catch. Ruggs has also returned punts and kickoffs, and he had a 75-yard touchdown run last season as well.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/02/18/henry-ruggs-favored-to-run-fastest-combine-40/

14 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Do we really believe there will be 3 or 4 WR drafted in the top 20 this year with all the depth?

Or will teams take the view they can wait to draft a WR and go for positions with less depth?

Depends where the teams are in terms of their rosters.  Teams drafting in the top 10 will focus on other needs and punt WR to RD2/RD3 where some good value & players will be there. The top QBs, OL & Edge will go quickly and push the top WRs down a bit accordingly.

At least 1 of the top 3 will fall to 14-ish is my guess right now, unless teams start going crazy for these guys as they slide a bit. The problem for Buffalo is that #22 is a bit too low and close to no man's land in true 1st rd talent (except for CB right now). The picture will be clearer once the combine and UFA signings start in the next couple weeks

Multiple Alabama teammates have predicted that Ruggs will run the 40 faster than 4.3 seconds, and Alabama cornerback Trevon Diggs even picked Ruggs to run it in 4.19 seconds, which would be the fastest ever.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/02/18/henry-ruggs-favored-to-run-fastest-combine-40/

Henry Ruggs III*, WR, Alabama   Walterfootball 
Height: 6-0. Weight: 190.
Projected 40 Time: 4.40.
Projected Round (2020): 1.

That's what makes the combine interesting to watch

9 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Ruggs is a stud and he's the guy I want.

He is wayyy closer to Djax than Ross and he's even bigger than Jackson

He has SOFT hands , plucks the ball effortlessly and transitions to RAC perfectly

He's a stud

Ruggs is gonna tear up the league.  He's the guy I want as well - he's my top WR.

11 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Ruggs is gonna tear up the league.  He's the guy I want as well - he's my top WR.

10 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Ruggs is a stud and he's the guy I want.

He is wayyy closer to Djax than Ross and he's even bigger than Jackson

He has SOFT hands , plucks the ball effortlessly and transitions to RAC perfectly

He's a stud

I love the top 3, but Ruggs has the highest ceiling and brings an explosiveness the others don't. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/14/2020 at 10:07 PM, njbuff said:

Man this is a DEEP DEEP draft for WR’s.

You can see multiple Pro Bowlers from the 4th round and beyond from this draft.

I think this is a little too optimistic- what are there, 4 WR pro bowlers on each of the NFC and AFC squads?

On 2/21/2020 at 11:08 AM, Reed83HOF said:

I love the top 3, but Ruggs has the highest ceiling and brings an explosiveness the others don't. 

Unfortunately, Bills will have no shot at him.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, ALF said:

Charlie Campbell mock has this WR going to Bills in 2nd rd

CentralFlorida_logo.gif Gabriel Davis*, WR, Central Florida
Height: 6-3. Weight: 212.
Projected 40 Time: 4.50.
Projected Round (2020): 1-3.

...just one of my (usual) baseless hunches.....could see Beane shopping to move down to 27 (or so) to grab an extra 2nd, then going WR with one of the two picks.....as I don't get to see college ball, I respectfully leave his target at #27 to our TBD Collegiate Ball experts (and yes, they ARE good...:thumbsup:)...........

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...just one of my (usual) baseless hunches.....could see Beane shopping to move down to 27 (or so) to grab an extra 2nd, then going WR with one of the two picks.....as I don't get to see college ball, I respectfully leave his target at #27 to our TBD Collegiate Ball experts (and yes, they ARE good...:thumbsup:)...........

I think the idea of moving down from 22, perhaps even into the top 10 or so of the 2nd round is a potentially good strategy given that the Bills are in the WR market (and other markets as well).  They likely won't have a shot at Ruggs, Juedy or Lamb at 22.  There are many here who don't like Tee Higgins (I'm not sure why) and I don't see Shenault as a real WR at this point - watch a few of his games and many of his touches come on runs and on passes within +/- 5 yards of the line of scrimmage - that doesn't say NFL 1st round pick to me.  

There are purportedly a lot of WR candidates that will have 2nd round grades that they could hopefully nab one of early in round 2 then double back with their own 2nd on another position or double down on WR.

• Like (+1) 1

Recommend following Brad Kelly both on Twitter and YouTube; especially YouTube. He's posting videos of every target/rush attempt for WRs like this:

The All-22 angle really helps in terms of being able to see how these guys separate before the ball enters the picture. With this video in particular, Mims seems like kind of a fish out of water in terms of his route running but he shows off his size, athleticism, and hands in this one.

Figured I'd post a link to the Google Sheet I've been working on throughout the year. The first tab takes Matt Miller's positional rankings and combines it with the schools that we've scouted this year and color-codes it so you can easily see who we've scouted and where they rank within their position. The second tab lists all the prospects that we've met with at the Senior Bowl and Combine (that I know of), whether or not we scouted one of their games, and where they rank at their position. The third tab is the reason I'm posting it here: I took all the WRs that are in PFF's draft guide and are at the Combine, sorted them into player type categories, and am doing a color-coded breakdown of their metrics, workout results, etc.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EGcKt-3OhHND7shQmY9LREGwBxtnUcFwQtQDz2U-3tk/edit?usp=sharing

• Thank you (+1) 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/27/2020 at 9:33 AM, DCOrange said:

Figured I'd post a link to the Google Sheet I've been working on throughout the year. The first tab takes Matt Miller's positional rankings and combines it with the schools that we've scouted this year and color-codes it so you can easily see who we've scouted and where they rank within their position. The second tab lists all the prospects that we've met with at the Senior Bowl and Combine (that I know of), whether or not we scouted one of their games, and where they rank at their position. The third tab is the reason I'm posting it here: I took all the WRs that are in PFF's draft guide and are at the Combine, sorted them into player type categories, and am doing a color-coded breakdown of their metrics, workout results, etc.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EGcKt-3OhHND7shQmY9LREGwBxtnUcFwQtQDz2U-3tk/edit?usp=sharing

Thanks for a great tool for analysis here DC!

So Tyler Johnson as a slot.  Mims or Claypool as outside WRs.  What I see based on numbers and meetings.

• 7 months later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.