WR Prospect talk

Dkollidas

On 1/22/2019 at 4:47 PM, OldTimer1960 said:

What do you think of Metcalf?  I'm not completely sold, but man does he have impressive tools.

I can definitely see why DK has a cult following. It's really a shame that he both got injured and plays in a scheme that limits his exposure to the route tree. He's obviously an impressive athlete and should be able to provide a vertical threat. His breaks on the routes that he does run are crisp, able to make dynamic cuts and separate on in-breaking routes. I tend to agree with @FeelingOnYouboty that his route tree can be taught and that he has shown an aptitude toward route running. His releases at the line got better as a sophomore also.

I was discussing it in the Shoutbox yesterday that I think he's got to be smarter about where to sit down vs zone defense. His cuts allow him to get free over the middle but he's in danger of wasting it by not giving the QB a solid target to aim at while in space. I'd like to see him catch the easy ones 100% of the time instead of looking at yards after the catch.

His medical is going to be crucial. Guys with neck/back injuries make me cringe because there's not much you can do on a football field to protect them once you've had an issue. Of the guys that I've watched so far (not many), Metcalf looks to me to be the leading candidate to being a reliable #1 target in the NFL. It's based so much on potential and development though.

Edited by Blokestradamus
  • Like (+1) 2

It's weird to me that this year's draft class is discussed by many as not being very good for WRs. 

With guys like Butler, Harry, Metcalf, Brown, Brown, et al, I just don't know how people can say that.

Here's hoping the Bills grab at least one of the top 5 just mentioned. Especially given that this year's free agent WR market is lacking in quality.

If Metcalf gets a clean bill of health, does he automatically shoot up the boards?

ive been a Harry fan, but Metcalf, if healthy, has some really big upside. And that’s what this team seems to be going after now that they’ve got their own GM (Beane), and ditched the Inherited GM (Whaley)

7 hours ago, Dkollidas said:

If Metcalf gets a clean bill of health, does he automatically shoot up the boards?

ive been a Harry fan, but Metcalf, if healthy, has some really big upside. And that’s what this team seems to be going after now that they’ve got their own GM (Beane), and ditched the Inherited GM (Whaley)

I think he's already up there honestly. I would expect him to be a first round pick, probably top 15 unless he unexpectedly runs in like the 4.55-4.60 range and his medicals reveal something super serious.

I think it's pretty much a certainty that we'll hear at least one or two teams having a medical red flag on him; those reports come out even with guys that haven't been injured. But ultimately, I think he's very likely to go in the first round as long as he tests out as expected.

I want to know three things about any WR prospect:

1. Can he create separation?

2. Can he catch the football?
3. Does he have a good attitude?

If the answer is yes to all three, then I'm on board.

I don't care if he's a giant, an athletic marvel, a contested catch artist, etc, etc...Can he separate, can he catch, is he a good dude? That's all I care about.

I don't know enough about this year's crop of draftable WRs to be able to say who checks all three boxes.

Edited by Logic

1 hour ago, thenorthremembers said:

One player I've noticed moving up draft boards is Riley Ridley from Georgia.  Can someone tell me why?  Aside from being Calvin's brother I see a slower than average wideout with suspect hands.

He gets open, and imo his hands are not bad.

His brother Calvin was one of the hardest workers Alabama had according to Coach Saban. Maybe Riley is too, I don't know.

Lets wait and see how he does in the combines.

Edited by Bill from NYC

On 1/27/2019 at 12:31 PM, C.Biscuit97 said:

On the Hakeem Butler bandwagon.  He had a tweet about how Jim from the Office should have choose Karen over Pam.  Pam kinda sucks.

Looks like we need to do a supplemental Wife Draft for Jim Halpert. I'm a Pam guy all the way, but I understand the contrarian love for Karen. 

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 5:31 PM, thenorthremembers said:

Metcalf is incredibly physically gifted, however I dont see the route tree or the hands to be considered a top 15 pick.

I feel like he is more of a 2nd round guy, but I didnt like Patrick Mahomes coming out either so what do I know.

To me with Metcalf the talent is all there.... I don't see consistency. Either in effort or in production. And that is a worry if I am spending a top 15 pick on him. He is the one of these with the highest ceiling but there are reasons to be wary.

On 2/11/2019 at 11:13 AM, GunnerBill said:

To me with Metcalf the talent is all there.... I don't see consistency. Either in effort or in production. And that is a worry if I am spending a top 15 pick on him. He is the one of these with the highest ceiling but there are reasons to be wary.

And I would take that body-builder physique as a negative.........he literally looks like a young Bruce Smith in that picture.........you don't need that bulk at WR you need quickness and flexibility that is hard to attain carrying all that extra hamburger.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, zevo said:

Does Metcalf remind anybody of dez? Never thought of dez as being the smoothest of receivers but gets the job done. The size and frame and they way they move on the field looks very similar to me. 

Not at all. Dez was an elite playmaker. 

Metcalf reminds me of a thicker Justin Hunter.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/27/2019 at 12:31 PM, C.Biscuit97 said:

On the Hakeem Butler bandwagon.  He had a tweet about how Jim from the Office should have choose Karen over Pam.  Pam kinda sucks.

dude is a free thinker. Plus, he is a monster. 

Lol I completely agree with opinion about Karen over Pam...Karen was the complete package, while Pam was very plain and boring imo.??

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.