WR Prospect talk

Dkollidas

13 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I watched Butler against West Virginia and Iowa and I see a very big guy who is a willing and good blocker, but I don’t see him getting open very often.   Granted, WV and Iowa outclass the whole Iowa State team, but what am I missing?

i went back and watched vs Oklahoma and he made some big plays in that game.  Still, I don’t see him getting open very often.  Most plays that I saw him make were contested plays where he was covered, but won anyway.

He is 6'6"...contested catches are how he makes a living. Mike Evans for Tampa Bay ran a 4.53 at the combine.  He had 1,500 yards receiving this past season with questionable play at QB.  He can outrun a few guys with some good route running but he mostly impacts the offense by being open when he's not.  Butler could be the hot name as we approach the draft.  

There's not really any WR I like at pick #9. Maybe Metcalf, but I think they could trade down 4-5 spots and still get him.

This is a pretty deep draft for receivers and I think they could get a couple of guys in rounds 2-5 that can make an immediate impact.

On a side note, what happened to AJ Brown's stock? I remember him being rated ahead of Metcalf before the year, now he's being projected as a second or third round prospect.

I was watching some game tapes of Mississippi WR DK Metcalf and then WR AJ Brown.

For sure, Metcalf has more than you could ask for physical tools, but top 10 is too rich for me from what I’ve seen so far.  I really liked AJ Brown - he is big at 6’1 225 strong pounds.  I thought that Brown was a smooth route runner who seemed to be very competitive and clutch.  He definitely seemed to make more plays than Metcalf.

I don’t know how high you’d need to take Brown, but if he makes it out of the first, I would be calling to see what it would take to move up to the top of the 2nd.

As I was watching games of Metcalf and Brown, WR Demarcus Lodge kept catching my eye.  He has some quicks and speed.  He showed enough for some consideration.

Marquise Brown is very intriguing to me.  He could be a tyreek Hill type deep threat, with more developed Wr skills.  Has NFL bloodlines. His cousin is Antonio Brown and is working out with him.  Allen's ability to attack any part of the field makes having a guy like brown a premium.  The big open even when not open guy will be there in rd 2 or 3.  Rd 1 take elite athleticism.  

14 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I really liked AJ Brown - he is big at 6’1 225 strong pounds.  I thought that Brown was a smooth route runner who seemed to be very competitive and clutch.  He definitely seemed to make more plays than Metcalf.

I don’t know how high you’d need to take Brown, but if he makes it out of the first, I would be calling to see what it would take to move up to the top of the 2nd.

As I was watching games of Metcalf and Brown, WR Demarcus Lodge kept catching my eye.  He has some quicks and speed.  He showed enough for some consideration.

I'd be scared of taking Brown in the 1st because I don't think he's going to be a true #1 in the NFL but I really liked what I saw from him in terms of route running, hands and run after the catch ability. He's really thick in the lower half and runs with purpose, hard to bring down.

He's what I've coined as a '2/3 switch' - a guy that can make a living on the outside vs press but has the ability to thrive as a big slot as well. Not a burner but can win vertically in contested catches, which is huge for him. He might not be the sexiest WR on the board but his versatility could be worth his weight in gold in a 16-game season.

One other thought about the Ole Miss WR's - they're all familiar with the orbit motion that Brian Daboll has used. Just a minor thing but coaches gravitate toward guys that already do what they do.

Edited by Blokestradamus

3 hours ago, Blokestradamus said:

I'd be scared of taking Brown in the 1st because I don't think he's going to be a true #1 in the NFL but I really liked what I saw from him in terms of route running, hands and run after the catch ability. He's really thick in the lower half and runs with purpose, hard to bring down.

He's what I've coined as a '2/3 switch' - a guy that can make a living on the outside vs press but has the ability to thrive as a big slot as well. Not a burner but can win vertically in contested catches, which is huge for him. He might not be the sexiest WR on the board but his versatility could be worth his weight in gold in a 16-game season.

One other thought about the Ole Miss WR's - they're all familiar with the orbit motion that Brian Daboll has used. Just a minor thing but coaches gravitate toward guys that already do what they do.

I just don't see the Bills drafting a receiver with their first pick. If they were determined to do so I would suspect that they would trade down and then make the pick. If polled most of us would expect that because of his background the HC would take the best defensive lineman on the board, which is the strength of the draft. If we could trade down to the lower part of the first round and select a player such as Michigan's Winovich and accumulate picks that would be fine with me. 

If the Bills don't draft an offensive lineman in the first round, with a trade down or not, I'm hoping that we would use the second round to get a good line prospect. That unit has to be a priority in this offseason. 

There are so many options to consider. The bottom line is make your picks count. 

12 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I just don't see the Bills drafting a receiver with their first pick. If they were determined to do so I would suspect that they would trade down and then make the pick. If polled most of us would expect that because of his background the HC would take the best defensive lineman on the board, which is the strength of the draft. If we could trade down to the lower part of the first round and select a player such as Michigan's Winovich and accumulate picks that would be fine with me. 

If the Bills don't draft an offensive lineman in the first round, with a trade down or not, I'm hoping that we would use the second round to get a good line prospect. That unit has to be a priority in this offseason. 

There are so many options to consider. The bottom line is make your picks count. 

I have expected either CB or DT to be the pick for a while now, even before the season. I don't see them jumping on a WR early unless they absolutely fall head over heels for someone. Beane & Co. have made a couple of solid investments in terms of capital at WR (trading up for Zay in the 2nd, Benjamin traded for a 3rd) so it's not beyond the realms to think that Day 2 will be when they target WR.

That 9th pick could be a key cog in the future of the roster. Pass rushing 3-tech or cover corner seems to fit the identity of the staff more than any other positions.

On 1/17/2019 at 10:57 AM, FeelingOnYouboty said:

Every time I put on the Hakeem Butler tape I fall in love again. He's #WR1 for me. 6'6, 225 and he knows it and he makes sure everyone else on the field does to. Physical at the POA and runs every route. He lines up at the X, he lines up at the Z and he lines up in the slot. 

His tape is littered with examples of him winning v press, winning v off and winning v zone coverage. Unlike Metcalf he runs 15 different routes. Post/Go/Out/Curl/Fade are his five 5 favorite routes. His best games came against the best competition like Oklahoma, Texas and Washington State.

He's a young Plaxico Burress who went 8 overall to the Steelers in the 2000 Draft. Right now people will say #9 is too high for him but he's going to test well in the Combine and it won't be so far fetched. We have a young QB who needs weapons. Let's get him a weapon that corrects some of his accuracy mistakes because Butler can adjust and his catch radius is ridiculous. 

I like Hakeem a lot.  I havent watched all the wideouts coming out this year, but think I would rate him #2 behind N'Keal Harry at this point.  His 40 will be something to watch as he does seem a little slow, but JuJu Smith Schuster and Michael Thomas were not burners coming out. 

41 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

I like Hakeem a lot.  I havent watched all the wideouts coming out this year, but think I would rate him #2 behind N'Keal Harry at this point.  His 40 will be something to watch as he does seem a little slow, but JuJu Smith Schuster and Michael Thomas were not burners coming out. 

I switch from Butler to Metcalf every day man. They're just soooo good. I expect Metcalf to run a 4.45 and at 6'4 230 that's insane.

4 hours ago, Blokestradamus said:

What do you think of Metcalf?  I'm not completely sold, but man does he have impressive tools.

I think your follow on post is pretty spot on, I'd expect DL or CB in the first - I'd lean to DL only because I don't think they could pay Tre' White and another first round CB long term.  I certainly respect the importance of CB, though.  

I haven't dug into the DL prospects deeply yet - who do you think the Bills might consider at 9?

52 minutes ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

I switch from Butler to Metcalf every day man. They're just soooo good. I expect Metcalf to run a 4.45 and at 6'4 230 that's insane.

Metcalf is incredibly physically gifted, however I dont see the route tree or the hands to be considered a top 15 pick.

I feel like he is more of a 2nd round guy, but I didnt like Patrick Mahomes coming out either so what do I know.

17 minutes ago, CajunBillsBacker said:

Spent about 2 hours Saturday watching highlight videos of WR’s. My top 5 receivers as of now. This will likely change a few times before the draft.

1) Hakeem Butler

2) N’Keal Harry

3) AJ Brown

4) Marquise Brown

5) DJ Metcalf

No love for Deebo?

1 hour ago, thenorthremembers said:

Metcalf is incredibly physically gifted, however I dont see the route tree or the hands to be considered a top 15 pick.

I feel like he is more of a 2nd round guy, but I didnt like Patrick Mahomes coming out either so what do I know.

Routes is easily correctable with coaching. He has good hands. Sometimes he tries to bucket them and he'll lose concentration but they're not made of stone.

11 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

What do you think of Metcalf?  I'm not completely sold, but man does he have impressive tools.

I think your follow on post is pretty spot on, I'd expect DL or CB in the first - I'd lean to DL only because I don't think they could pay Tre' White and another first round CB long term.  I certainly respect the importance of CB, though.  

I haven't dug into the DL prospects deeply yet - who do you think the Bills might consider at 9?

I know you did not ask me...But I'll chime in...

To me Metcalf is is clearly the #1 WR in this Draft...I feel like there is at least a bit of distance between D.K. and the rest...And I fully admit most of that analysis is based on upside...But it's crazy upside...And I know it's early...But if I had to guess, assuming he's still there, he'll be the pick at #9...I think D.K. is the WR version of Josh Allen...Massive physical tools, almost limitless upside, but where he played in College is going to make the tape-only people REAL nervous...

I don't think there is a snowballs chance in Hades the Bills go CB in the 1st...I'm not thrilled with this CB class anyway, and I think there will be plenty of players with higher grades than any CB when the Bills pick...I'm not saying it's not a need, and I do think they'll take one...But not in the first 3 rounds...

If the Bills go D-Line at #9 I'd keep my eye on Ed Oliver...He may get squeezed down a bit...But I still think the Bills would go Metcalf over Oliver...?

I totally get the Deebo Samuel love and why a WR who's 6'0 can be called Deebo. He plays like Deebo. He's so violent with the ball in his hands and a load to bring down. Perfect Z receiver. A core of Samuel, Foster, Jones is a great start. 

Maybe having a premier WR isn't the way to go and getting a collection of really good WR's is the way to go. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.