WR Prospect talk

Dkollidas

Starting to go through 3 games of each wideout.  So far I've watched Harry, Harmon, Hollywood Brown, A.J. Brown, and Metcalf.     So far I'd rank them

Harry

Harmon

A.J. Brown

Hollywood Brown

Metcalf

For me it's not close as to who the number one wide out is.   Harry may not be incredibly fast but his ability to adjust to passes and high point the ball is tops here.   He dominated games in ways no other guy I've watched so far has.   He also does a great job on back shoulder throws, something Allen excels at, just saying. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/27/2018 at 1:53 PM, Chicken Boo said:

If you can't see D.K.'s talent, I can't help you.  Trust and believe he's going top 10-15.  

I’m sorry, he just doesn’t LOOK like a Buffalo Bills WR. Well, at least on our current roster. 

?

1 hour ago, thenorthremembers said:

Starting to go through 3 games of each wideout.  So far I've watched Harry, Harmon, Hollywood Brown, A.J. Brown, and Metcalf.     So far I'd rank them

Harry

Harmon

A.J. Brown

Hollywood Brown

Metcalf

For me it's not close as to who the number one wide out is.   Harry may not be incredibly fast but his ability to adjust to passes and high point the ball is tops here.   He dominated games in ways no other guy I've watched so far has.   He also does a great job on back shoulder throws, something Allen excels at, just saying. 

Allen needs WR that create separation more than he needs a WR who can catch contested balls.

Allen doesn't throw balls into covered men.  He looks for the guy that has created space.

24 minutes ago, Ittakestime said:

Allen needs WR that create separation more than he needs a WR who can catch contested balls.

Allen doesn't throw balls into covered men.  He looks for the guy that has created space.

In that category my favorite player to this point would be Deebo Samuel from South Carolina.   

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Seoul_panther said:

Buffalo are reported to have had a meeting with WR DeMarkus Lodge at the Shrine game.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2019/01/14/team-prospect-meetings-shrine-week-day-one/

They should be meeting with every receiver they can. 

That being said I do wonder if he’s a hidden talent having played behind Brown & Metcalf. 

1 minute ago, Dkollidas said:

They should be meeting with every receiver they can. 

That being said I do wonder if he’s a hidden talent having played behind Brown & Metcalf. 

TDN have a high opinion of him. “Top offensive prospect” at the shrine game.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2019/01/13/5-shrine-game-prospects-primed-to-shine/

9 minutes ago, Seoul_panther said:

TDN have a high opinion of him. “Top offensive prospect” at the shrine game.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2019/01/13/5-shrine-game-prospects-primed-to-shine/

Yea but I don’t think any top tier receivers are going to be at the shrine game. Metcalf, A.J Brown, Harry,  M. Brown, Harmon, Butler etc

54 minutes ago, Seoul_panther said:

True. Lodge is the highest rated receiver who isn’t though. Rated as 2-3 rd prospect. He would be good value from 3 on I would think.

Agreed. Personally I like a lot of the guys in this class. It’s not super elite, but it’s really deep. TE as well. That’s why I think they should pursue OL mostly in free agency if possible. Use the draft for those wideouts and tight ends who can grow with Allen. 

I also wonder what kind of guys they’re looking for. I would assume they want to find another big lanky guy to be what Benjamin couldn’t (or wouldn’t because he’s too damn lazy). 

Harry is personally my favorite, but someone pointed out he makes quite a few body catches, and that makes me worry if he’s taking in darts from an arm as strong as Allen’s. 

Metcalf is a really really interesting guy, but he ran limited routes at Ole Miss, and the neck injury is a huge concern to me. 

• Like (+1) 1

I think the combine will start to separate a lot of these guys. I know it only takes one team to like a guy and take them, but this class is tough to gauge. Every WR in this class has big questions. I almost wonder if it might be a better idea to just draft Fant at #9 as he’s arguably the best offensive weapon in the draft. Brees has Jimmy Graham, Rivers had Gates, Brady has Gronk, Mahomes has Kelce. I think a game breaking tight end who can get mismatches could be our best bet to get Allen’s full potential. 

Fast enough to get separation from LB’s & Safety’s, big and athletic enough to have a large enough radius against corners. I’m talking myself into it more and more as I type. 

Also, I think Daboll has a thing for tight ends and that this offense will really be a lot more interesting with a good group of three tight ends (one free agent, one drafted & Croom). 

WR is also still a major need obviously. But Foster and McKenzie have shown something. I think they could get a guy like Lodge later on, and if they want that deep-threat type option, they could go after Marquise Brown. 

It’ll be an interestinf off-season though, that’s for sure. 

The amount of receivers that look good to me is either indicative of a great class, me not knowing what I’m talking about, or me being desperate for weapons. 

Does anyone know of any places that have started doing pro-comps for WR yet? I saw where DJ and Bucky comped Riley Ridley to Michael Thomas, which is intriguing. 

Every time I put on the Hakeem Butler tape I fall in love again. He's #WR1 for me. 6'6, 225 and he knows it and he makes sure everyone else on the field does to. Physical at the POA and runs every route. He lines up at the X, he lines up at the Z and he lines up in the slot. 

His tape is littered with examples of him winning v press, winning v off and winning v zone coverage. Unlike Metcalf he runs 15 different routes. Post/Go/Out/Curl/Fade are his five 5 favorite routes. His best games came against the best competition like Oklahoma, Texas and Washington State.

He's a young Plaxico Burress who went 8 overall to the Steelers in the 2000 Draft. Right now people will say #9 is too high for him but he's going to test well in the Combine and it won't be so far fetched. We have a young QB who needs weapons. Let's get him a weapon that corrects some of his accuracy mistakes because Butler can adjust and his catch radius is ridiculous. 

• Like (+1) 4

On 1/18/2019 at 6:23 PM, Aussie Joe said:

I like Butler but at Pick 9? 

I see Chris Trapasso has the Bills taking him there..

Still a long way to go until the draft, but i can’t see him as the BPA if they stay at 9..

If he is the pick then they need to trade down..

I watched Butler against West Virginia and Iowa and I see a very big guy who is a willing and good blocker, but I don’t see him getting open very often.   Granted, WV and Iowa outclass the whole Iowa State team, but what am I missing?

i went back and watched vs Oklahoma and he made some big plays in that game.  Still, I don’t see him getting open very often.  Most plays that I saw him make were contested plays where he was covered, but won anyway.

Edited by OldTimer1960

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.