Has anyone else noticed that the NFL has turned into the arena league?

41 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

No, I don't think that's the right way to look at this.  The League is making a concerted effort to change the way the game is coached and played, and if they're successful, we'll look back at the pre-2000 era as a different game.

Except that is the point. The game changes. New fans will love it. Old fans will pine for the game they grew up with. I’m sure there were corner bars filled with guys complaining when the forward pass was introduced 1906...

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

Through 3 weeks (plus last night), the average points scored per team/per game is 22.

For all of 2017 (regular season), the average points scored per team/per game was 23.

I think we saw two very good QBs on display last night.  I don't know what the statistics for average yards of offense/team are - but my guess is that teams are definitely moving the ball more (as NFL defenses continue to be castrated).

The difference with teams with good QBs is more touchdowns and less FGs/turnovers in the red zone - hence the higher score last night.

There was also some ****ty officiating last night (and throughout the league) that contributed to keeping drives alive.

Saw a stat last night that there was 1 five TD passing game last year, and there has already been 3 this year just gstarting week four. 

I’m not sure what all of this chatter is about. Have you already forgotten that less than ONE WEEK ago those same Vikings didn’t even have 30 yards of total offense against the Bills...inside their own ‘dome’ stadium?  Things change week to week but one thing that’s been pretty constant is that Thursday Night Football is not a decent measure of ANYTHING!  Teams simply don’t have the proper time to prepare.

It’s pinball, anyone trying to argue that the game hasn’t changed drastically is in denial. The average QB rating for week two was 105, that’s for the entire league. That’s higher than Rodgers career passer rating.

Kids watching the games now will never know what the NFL once was. I hope a nasty defense emerges and creates a new dynasty. 

5 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

The league wants exactly what we saw last night.  38-31 games.  They have manipulated the rules to get what they want.  

I agree.  But I also think there are more "very good" QBs in the league today that there has been in many years.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

I agree.  But I also think there are more "very good" QBs in the league today that there has been in many years.

I would agree, also the coordinators and coaches are changing the way they coach to use those rule changes to their advantage as much as possible. 

But definitely better QBs especially the young ones.    The old guard is getting ready to pass the torch, in 3 years Rivers/Roethlisburger/Brady/Brees/Manning will all be retired.   Then you've got Rodgers/Stafford as the senior guys who walso won't play forever.  I'm just glad we have one of the young up and coming QBs.  

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, metzelaars_lives said:

What is even the point of running the football anymore?  Seriously?  You no longer need to establish the run to keep defenses honest.  Every decent QB in the league (and at this point, due in part to the rules making it easier to play QB, who doesn't have a decent QB?) averages 7-8 YPA.  So really, why run?  To average 4 YPC and create a more manageable third down?  All the good teams just pass every play at this point and are taking what they want.  It used to be, if a QB had 450 yards and 4 TD's it was because his team was down the whole game and, usually, lost.  Now 450 yards and 4 TD's is good for the third highest fantasy total among QB's in a given week.  This is what the NFL has wanted for years and now they've got it.  I grew up watching great running backs.  I love 21-17 football games where every yard is hard-earned.  I think this sucks.

I feel certain the Vikes agree with you "what is the point?"  They didn't seem to have one when they tried. 

I also feel certain the Vikes would have liked the Rams to get your memo.  While you were typing this, Gurley was gashing them for 7-8 yds every time he touched the ball.

He finished with ~5 ypc after being stuffed a few times for a mere 2 or 3

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

No, I don't think that's the right way to look at this.  The League is making a concerted effort to change the way the game is coached and played, and if they're successful, we'll look back at the pre-2000 era as a different game.

Completely disagree.  Every year, it seems, somebody is bitching and moaning about how the league has done "this" or "that" to change the game.  And yet we all watch and we all enjoy.  It's comical.  Last night's game was incredibly entertaining.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, metzelaars_lives said:

What is even the point of running the football anymore?  Seriously?  You no longer need to establish the run to keep defenses honest.  Every decent QB in the league (and at this point, due in part to the rules making it easier to play QB, who doesn't have a decent QB?) averages 7-8 YPA.  So really, why run?  To average 4 YPC and create a more manageable third down?  All the good teams just pass every play at this point and are taking what they want.  It used to be, if a QB had 450 yards and 4 TD's it was because his team was down the whole game and, usually, lost.  Now 450 yards and 4 TD's is good for the third highest fantasy total among QB's in a given week.  This is what the NFL has wanted for years and now they've got it.  I grew up watching great running backs.  I love 21-17 football games where every yard is hard-earned.  I think this sucks.

I get everything your saying and share some of the same concerns.

So why run?  Well, if I was an OC with a mediocre-QB but a good RB and OL, I would use the weapons I had. 

While offenses continue to emphasize the pass, defenses have been evolving more and more to stop the passing game.  These days LBs are smaller and faster than they used to be.  Nickel is now the base NFL defense.  Many of today's DEs are guys who can rush the QB but are soft against the run.  Etc.  There could be an opportunity to take advantage of the trend in defenses by developing a strong power running game.  

Sun Tzu said, "To unfailingly take what you attack, attack where is no defense."   Run D is the weaker D.  Attack it and win.  

46 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

Or the NFL made playing QB easier oops I mean safer. It won’t be long until fans get bored with the big stat lines. 

I think it's both.  And - similarly to baseball - the goal is to attract more "casual" fans.

Diehard baseball fans appreciate a nice pitchers' duel.  MLB has (for years) been turning it into a HR league.  Because casual fans like HRs.

Casual NFL fans like lots of scoring.  Keeping the starting QBs safe does make excellent business sense.  Most teams' backup QBs suck, which usually makes for very crappy football.

• Like (+1) 2

I doubt the NFL would do ever anything to hinder the passing game.  They have to love these shoot-outs just like MLB loves the HR.  Or the NBA which is predominantly dunks and 3 pointers. It's what gets fans' attention.

At some point, I have to wonder if some HC and GM would see the wisdom in putting together a team that isn't predicated on throwing the ball, but is good enough doing that. Defenses are playing more 6 guys in the box and 5 DB sets, so it would make sense that someone eventually builds an offense which can punish those smaller LBs and DBs who are on the field to play the pass.  Belicheck seemed to use LeGarrette Blount like this a few years ago.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I feel certain the Vikes agree with you "what is the point?"  They didn't seem to have one when they tried. 

I also feel certain the Vikes would have liked the Rams to get your memo.  While you were typing this, Gurley was gashing them for 7-8 yds every time he touched the ball.

He finished with ~5 ypc after being stuffed a few times for a mere 2 or 3

Goff was gashing them for more than that.  My point is that whether Gurley was running effectively or not, they didn’t really need him to.  Everyone in the stadium can know that a guy is passing every play now and they can be just as effective, regardless of whether they have established a running game.  You see it all the time.