Panthers Sign Safety Eric Reid - Collusion Case Denied by Arbitrator

26CornerBlitz

41 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

there are 3 types of teams out there:

1) winning teams with adequate or better QB's who don't need him

2) terrible teams out there that do not have capable qb's who would rather rebuild and work with their younger players and vets who are much cheaper than kaepernick

3) teams that could use a qb, like us, who don't want to spend the money, invest in the sideshow, and alienate their fanbase.

1) could use a backup and sell a ****load of merchandise. Nike's making bank on the man it's a potential for a whole new source of fans. You'd gain a lot more bandwagoners than lose petty fans who give up on their team of 30 years for one signing? Those aren't fans.. Not like PETA really lost all of Eagles fanbase after signing Vick. Like I said, the team who signs him is selling Kaep jerseys. It's marketing genius.

2) Kaep's clearly vet minimum, hasn't signed onto team in 2 years, why do you think he's expensive. And I don't even know what group of teams this is referring to so I'll just assume they have a guy they want to develop and continue and cash in on Kaep fever as a capable backup (who doesn't want a Nick Foles contingency plan? Especially from a guy that's been there?)

3) teams like us.. take all the reasons above into account (merchandise, fans) let's say we're so bad he ain't winning us games anyway, who gives a crap about a side show when we already are a sideshow. Imagine Kaep coming back and having a Vick resurgence.. awesome, flip for a pick after signing him on a vet minimum over a year while losing games regardless as he showcases his skills best case scenario, dump him next year if not.

I'm not trying to get into a fight here, I like this conversation, I want to know what you think of my points (and it's a football debate I don't want the thread to get political)

a)  I don't think he alienates that many fans honestly. Yes he's absolutely polarizing, but he's one of a LOT of players saying the same rhetoric employed in the NFL. The people that get into uproar and quit on their team are crappy fans anyway. Guys that get infuriated trolling away on a computer and barely watching football. He's not coming into his first team as a franchise unless he Vick level resurges.

b) he really does have an entirely new fanbase outside of football that may be major football fans for the team that signs. The NBA is stupid lucrative with tons of Kaep fans and sports fans that generally watch NBA religiously.

c) he's cheap man. He's not expensive why would you think he's command top dollar?

I'll concede that he could very well just totally suck by now, may be too political (but he really hasn't been since leaving, been off the grid), certainly will alienate people (just not as much as you think IMO, as far as veterans go, the ones I know are not super hot and bothered.. I don't think Valencuelas.. an awesome person, is viscerally opposed to him in the league, and most level minded people feel that way.)

Honestly I don't really care if he joins the Bills, we're losing anyway.

Oh but lastly let's not speculate on his mental health though, don't want to go down that path. Reminds me of Ricky Williams in a way (LOVE HIM) in that he may be a great football player that wants to do more than football. I find that just to be speculation that football should be the only thing that matters to a player.

And we can agree Eric Reid is a basket case at least, although given he's a Panther now, McDermott's already salivating at getting him :)

EDIT oh and I think he's blackballed purely for suing the league. It's Goodell and his coalition 32 bosses that are just mad he's taking them on.. and rightfully so.. but I wouldn't car a lick if I was one of the NFL GMs. I'd do it solely to piss off Jerry Jones. "You ain't my leader Jerry, guess who I just signed??" And keep him on the PS or roster if you have room just to anger him for a year.

On ‎10‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 12:43 PM, Boyst62 said:

We are going to trust exactly what the bigot Reid says as the gospel?  Scary. 

If by bigots you are talking about an owner that wants a black face behind his agenda because he lost two imaginary sponsers for his Sabres. No, I will believe what peluga said in the owner meeting.   Now I see why Josh, with no college football  success on the resume, was the apple of his eye over Mahommes and Watson  

On 9/28/2018 at 12:58 AM, C.Biscuit97 said:

Doesn’t the team matter?  Those were dog ? 49ers offenses.  Again, his last 6 games were comparable to Jimmy G’s last 6 last year.  https://www.google.com/amp/s/touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2018/01/01/san-francisco-49ers-comparing-jimmy-garoppolos-2017-to-colin-kaepernicks-final-five-games-in-2016/amp/

and it’s ok to argue where he ranks but he isn’t an upgrade over Nate Peterman?  Carolina’s backup is who?  He definitely belongs in the league if you’re trying to put the best roster together.  He might not be a franchise qb anymore but he is a nfl qb, especially given some of the scrubs in the league.

I agree he's in the top 32, but not the top 20.

The problem with him is that you can't run an ordinary offense and expect success. Like Tyrod you have to put him in a certain kind of offense to maximize him. If your team is at the beginning of it's cycle and is trying to input one kind of offense, you don't want to bring in Kaep and then have to change things up and stop the learning process for what will be your system for - you hope - the next five years or more.

As for Garoppolo vs. Kaep, come on. The thing that made that performance amazing for Garoppolo is that he had thrown 63 previous NFL passes. And no, their stats weren't all that comparable. Garoppolo was throwing for 8.76 YPA (1st in the NFL), in other words, he was putting the ball down the field and making a lot of yards. Whereas Kaepernick threw for 6.49 YPA, a bit lower down than 1st, at 27th among QBs. He was throwing a lot of checkdowns.

Kaepernick replaced the 1-4 Gabbert and went 1-10. You can't blame him for those losses, it wasn't a good team. But Garoppolo replaced a 1-4 Beathard and an 0-6 Hoyer and went 5-0.

Sorry, but those two seasons were anything but comparable.

14 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

Reid isn't an objective reporter.  He has a distinct POV and it's uncertain if his portrayal of Terry is entirely accurate.

But it wouldn't be surprising at all if Terry did in fact voice a concern about losing sponsors.  He's running a business.  He ought to be concerned about revenue.  

Terry might have also said that they need a black spokesman.  Reid's paraphrase of 'hiding behind a black face' is just his own words venting his own personal frustration with the situation.  

I wouldn't judge Terry without hearing his side of the story.  I do think Reid makes some valid points in general, though.  

I think that's a fair view. We'll never hear from Terry though on these remarks in my opinion.

It's just odd that he'd single put Terry Pegula and be making stuff up. He's a small market owner, he's not going to make headlines. I'm just unsure of what motivation he'd have other than stating how he sincerely feels. Perhaps it's an issue of miscommunication or misunderstanding. Maybe it's not a direct quote but the vibe he got from Terry's remarks.

I could see Terry not explicitly saying that, but where Reid could read between the lines of him saying we want to end this protest. We don't want to be the bad guys and we want you guys to be the face of it. Total hypothetical, but how I could see everyone in the room feeling different about the interaction.

If Reid was trying to just be in the news, or draw attention, he'd have said it was McNair who said it in my opinion. Given what McNair was in the news for regarding inmates running the asylum or something along those lines.

I'm not a huge fan of Kaep. I will say though, the more I listen to Reid speak. I think he is sincere. He's a safety, they don't value him in this league. He's not on Nike's books getting paid while acting like he lost everything.

I find the whole situation very interesting. I'm not sure how he can call Jenkins a sell out and getting the movement co-opted, while Kaep did it on an even worse level. He sold the cause for some shoe company that has a bad history as far as human rights and labor goes. It's just odd that a guy would act like he sacrificed everything for human rights while taking checks on the low from a company that is awful.

By the way, I still buy Nike. I get that's how it works. I just think maybe kaep should stand, or kneel for the kids in Vietnam making pennies for a company worth Billions charging 300 for shoes marketed towards specifically African Americans, many of which unfortunately of lower income. He'd be better off getting a degree in finance, and volunteering in inner cities if he's genuine. Sorry, done rambling. 

Edit- one last thing. Jenkins sold the cause out to get his own charity funding. I thought some self interest was there, but I think that funding will do some good. Kaep got co-opted for a paycheck for himself. It's all convoluted and a mess but I find it really interesting to follow.

Edited by Ol Dirty B
  • Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

1) could use a backup and sell a ****load of merchandise. Nike's making bank on the man it's a potential for a whole new source of fans. You'd gain a lot more bandwagoners than lose petty fans who give up on their team of 30 years for one signing? Those aren't fans.. Not like PETA really lost all of Eagles fanbase after signing Vick. Like I said, the team who signs him is selling Kaep jerseys. It's marketing genius.

2) Kaep's clearly vet minimum, hasn't signed onto team in 2 years, why do you think he's expensive. And I don't even know what group of teams this is referring to so I'll just assume they have a guy they want to develop and continue and cash in on Kaep fever as a capable backup (who doesn't want a Nick Foles contingency plan? Especially from a guy that's been there?)

3) teams like us.. take all the reasons above into account (merchandise, fans) let's say we're so bad he ain't winning us games anyway, who gives a crap about a side show when we already are a sideshow. Imagine Kaep coming back and having a Vick resurgence.. awesome, flip for a pick after signing him on a vet minimum over a year while losing games regardless as he showcases his skills best case scenario, dump him next year if not.

I'm not trying to get into a fight here, I like this conversation, I want to know what you think of my points (and it's a football debate I don't want the thread to get political)

a)  I don't think he alienates that many fans honestly. Yes he's absolutely polarizing, but he's one of a LOT of players saying the same rhetoric employed in the NFL. The people that get into uproar and quit on their team are crappy fans anyway. Guys that get infuriated trolling away on a computer and barely watching football. He's not coming into his first team as a franchise unless he Vick level resurges.

b) he really does have an entirely new fanbase outside of football that may be major football fans for the team that signs. The NBA is stupid lucrative with tons of Kaep fans and sports fans that generally watch NBA religiously.

c) he's cheap man. He's not expensive why would you think he's command top dollar?

I'll concede that he could very well just totally suck by now, may be too political (but he really hasn't been since leaving, been off the grid), certainly will alienate people (just not as much as you think IMO, as far as veterans go, the ones I know are not super hot and bothered.. I don't think Valencuelas.. an awesome person, is viscerally opposed to him in the league, and most level minded people feel that way.)

Honestly I don't really care if he joins the Bills, we're losing anyway.

Oh but lastly let's not speculate on his mental health though, don't want to go down that path. Reminds me of Ricky Williams in a way (LOVE HIM) in that he may be a great football player that wants to do more than football. I find that just to be speculation that football should be the only thing that matters to a player.

And we can agree Eric Reid is a basket case at least, although given he's a Panther now, McDermott's already salivating at getting him :)

EDIT oh and I think he's blackballed purely for suing the league. It's Goodell and his coalition 32 bosses that are just mad he's taking them on.. and rightfully so.. but I wouldn't car a lick if I was one of the NFL GMs. I'd do it solely to piss off Jerry Jones. "You ain't my leader Jerry, guess who I just signed??" And keep him on the PS or roster if you have room just to anger him for a year.

TL;DR.  Just kidding

There are benefits to him signing here but ultimately Nike will lose out on money with their deal.

Edited by Boyst62
  • Haha (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

TL;DR.  Just kidding

There are benefits to him signing here but ultimately Nike will lose out on money with their deal.

Well played.. I think the circus would be fun and sign and trade if he makes us look any good. Piss off Jerry Jones. Etc I don't really care otherwise