Should Teams Start Spying Josh Allen?

26CornerBlitz

5 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

All the more reason for McCoy to look forward to facing Pettine's defense.

Yep, I expect a healthy does of our rb's against this D and for them to have more success than they have had, esp with Wilkerson out. It also will benefit the D by giving Rodgers less time with the ball

1 minute ago, Bray Wyatt said:

Yep, I expect a healthy does of our rb's against this D and for them to have more success than they have had, esp with Wilkerson out. It also will benefit the D by giving Rodgers less time with the ball

Their D has injury issues at all three levels.   The Bills are facing them at a "good" time. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, jr1 said:

he's capable of 50+ rushing yards in a game. You have to

I posted he would gain more yards than Shady in week one, and people thought I was kidding. That was only half true, and it was pretty close as I recall (maybe 50 vs 39 yards?). 

2 hours ago, Augie said:

Sure, put a spy on him, and go with two deep safties while you’re at it. Shady needs a better chance to get loose. THAT is the guy we WANT running the ball. (Hope he’s feeling better!) 

Dont underestimate the benefit of pounding ivory at them.

their front is more agile than stout at point of attack. 

Howard and AP had good success against them. 

1 hour ago, Bray Wyatt said:

I was going to say something similar. DC's may do that, but not Pettine. I think he is going to try and confuse him with exotic looks and blitz him, so even when he doesnt blitz he will think one is coming.

That is, I think, what Pettine will gamble on.  He loves disguised blitzes.  In the first half of the Chargers game, we were not good at picking these up plus, Allen hesitated to pull the trigger.

I think Pettine will start out throwing it down to Allen/Daboll: "We're coming for you.  Prove that you can make us pay."

19 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

That is 100% the weakness of Pettine's Ds - the run.   That's what I see as the chess match pre-game - Pettine saying "we're coming for you, prove you can make us pay" and Daboll saying "we're running over you, prove you can stop us"

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Oh, yeah, Ivory too. My hope is to make all the backs look good, and keep Josh out of harms way as much as possible. There will be those right times, but be Russell Wilson wise, which Josh usually is......usually. 

• Like (+1) 1

If teams start spying JA then JA should have a field day with one less defender covering WR's

I think GB will attack Allen with disguised blitzes.. so it will be up to JA to find the mis-matches quickly and expose them

Edited by ddaryl
  • Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Probably should.  It's like you can put on a spy on Rodgers, but he can make you pay for it with his arm and having decent WR.  In the Bills case, I'd throw the spy in there until Allan and the WR can show they can make plays!

put a spy in there, leave Croom or someone else wide open.  Shady could have a field-day.    But if I'm them, I do it like you suggest: until it hurts you.  Make the young QB and bad WR's have another game.  

7 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

If teams start spying JA then JA should have a field day with one less defender covering WR's

I think GB will attack Allen with disguised blitzes.. so it will be up to JA to find the mis-matches quickly and expose them

hopefully our WR's don't drop the ball!!  I'd throw to Croom or a RB at this point.  

I would say until Allen proves he can consistently shred defences with the passing game.

Spying him could really backfire though. We all know Allen’s cannon for an arm and how he can stretch the field.

Spying him could also have something to do with the lack of talent the bills have at WR. The theory could be to take away Allen’s legs and bet that the Bills receivers can’t create separation 1 on 1 consistently.

1 hour ago, quinnearlysghost88 said:

He's going to have to earn a spy. They're going to blitz him hard instead, and he'l have to respond. If he does, maybe they back off. If he hurts them with some runs, maybe they assign a guy to spy him. But, they're not doing that from play one. 

@quinnearlysghost88 gets it. 

The spy contains the QB if he tries to run, otherwise hurts the D by occupying a defender.   But you can see on film, Allen is not gonna run if he sees something downfield and has time to throw it.  If you can blitz him, limit his time to process, confuse him in coverage, maybe get him to throw some picks - you win on every play, not just those where he tries to run.  Bills are gonna have to prove they can sting the Pack when they blitz before they'll spy him. 

Historically, Pettine has been slow to recognize when he's stung, too.

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Ha. It sucks because it’s such a huge asset.  But monsters like Cam and Big Ben get hurt in this league. 

Both have been remarkably healthy, considering.  But neither has gone hurdling LBs either, that I recall.  I think the message to Josh is "run, but slide".

Site calls Newton "high risk" but ack's he's been durable:

https://sportsinjurypredictor.com/player/cam-newton/4690

Roeth "medium risk" but actually not dissimilar injuries:

https://sportsinjurypredictor.com/player/ben-roethlisberger/2639

Compare and contrast to the time lost by notable pocket-passers like Bradford or Stafford.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That is, I think, what Pettine will gamble on.  He loves disguised blitzes.  In the first half of the Chargers game, we were not good at picking these up plus, Allen hesitated to pull the trigger.

I think Pettine will start out throwing it down to Allen/Daboll: "We're coming for you.  Prove that you can make us pay."

That is 100% the weakness of Pettine's Ds - the run.   That's what I see as the chess match pre-game - Pettine saying "we're coming for you, prove you can make us pay" and Daboll saying "we're running over you, prove you can stop us"

Yep

my memory is; rock pounding and play action or quick swings to the flat were one of his scheme weaknesses.

Sack generation in drop back situations and we’ll disgui zone blitzes was his strength, where he’d find ways to bring pressure without bring more that 5.  Alex has success getting it out fast. Game was even more of a blowout than the score implies. 

I also am not certain he has the corner talent to run his defense well there ether. 

1 hour ago, ddaryl said:

I’m less worried about Allen’s recognition than I am about our receivers’ ability read their hots.