Should Teams Start Spying Josh Allen?

26CornerBlitz

4 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

To whom that would actually catch them?

I can give it a shot. I was a 2-time all-state (NJ) receiver in high school. Had the state record for most TDs in a season for a few years before some bastard kid broke it. 

I mean, I'm 55 now, and my 40 is probably in the 7-8 second range. But I'm slippery. 

Edited by Domdab99

4 hours ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

The bills seem to want teams to use a spy, so I'd guess green bay won't until they have to

Minnesota didn't feel the need to have two high safeties either, until the game was out of hand. They paid with a loss for not respecting Allen's abilities. Hopefully Green Bay does the same thing.

Wasn't Anthony Barr spying on him? I think so because Allen made him look silly in several occasions and there was no other vikes defender helping him.

I mean Allen jumped over him one play, beat him to the pylon on another one, stiff armed him, and then got a horse collar tackle from him as well. I may not know a lot about football but it sure looks like Barr's task was to spy on Allen and nullify him.

14 minutes ago, Koko78 said:

Minnesota didn't feel the need to have two high safeties either, until the game was out of hand. They paid with a loss for not respecting Allen's abilities. Hopefully Green Bay does the same thing.

One of my favorite parts of last game was when Romo highlighted the fact that Minnesota adjusted their defense to two high safeties.

I do think green bay starts with a similar game plan. One of these weeks Allen's gonna hit a couple deep shots to foster

7 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

The signal caller’s unpredictableness with his feet is putting pressure on opposing defensive coordinators. The solution could be for these defensive minds to place a spy on Allen. The QB would be all right with that.

“I don’t know if they’re going to tell them to come after me or have one guy sit back. All I know is that if there’s one guy sitting back, it’s better for our offensive line and protection, and it’s better for our guys getting open. We just have more time,” Allen said.

If teams were to employ a spy to watch Allen, that would mean one defender would be eliminated from rushing the passer or dropping into coverage. The shadow player would alter his responsibility on several instances to solely watch Allen. The hope would be to contain the signal caller from breaking the pocket and scampering for large gains. It could actually benefit a player such as Allen, who can take the extra time to find an open receiver. But that’s easier said than done.

Yes they will.  Strategy will be to keep him in the pocket and make him throw.  Same scheme that limited Tyrod and Douglas Flutie

10 hours ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

I find it somewhat odd that Anthony Barr was the defender on 3 of Josh's splash plays.  Maybe he wasn't a spy but I'd bet that he has seen enough of him to want no more.

No more what?...teabagging?..lol I,ll probably get a PM for that, but that,s funny.....  But seriously, Josh in the shotgun with a two back set will be unstoppable. Hand off, send one wide, hit one in the flat, or go deep. There's so many things that formation can do. Unstoppable. Dabol I believe in. Shady for 1then 2 then incomplete./pass /sack punt...ummm no, c'mon dude you're better than that.

Edited by billsredneck1

10 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

The signal caller’s unpredictableness with his feet is putting pressure on opposing defensive coordinators. The solution could be for these defensive minds to place a spy on Allen. The QB would be all right with that.

“I don’t know if they’re going to tell them to come after me or have one guy sit back. All I know is that if there’s one guy sitting back, it’s better for our offensive line and protection, and it’s better for our guys getting open. We just have more time,” Allen said.

If teams were to employ a spy to watch Allen, that would mean one defender would be eliminated from rushing the passer or dropping into coverage. The shadow player would alter his responsibility on several instances to solely watch Allen. The hope would be to contain the signal caller from breaking the pocket and scampering for large gains. It could actually benefit a player such as Allen, who can take the extra time to find an open receiver. But that’s easier said than done.

Well Allen had one good game so not sure opposing DC’s are shaking in their boots.  

Given our lack of a game breaker at WR or TE why not spy on Allen.  Better yet have the spy watch McCoy.  

I hope they do. Open things up even more for the offense. There were a lot of guys open in Minnesota that he missed, even though he still made a great play. Personally, I’d love the spy. One less defender in coverage or rushing the passer = less need to run. Receivers more open means making those yards with his arm instead of his legs. I’m okay with that. Still get the production and the kid doesn’t get himself killed. 

I like it!

this offense last week was no fluke. i know it's billsy to have a good game then suck. or never be able to play a whole, good game 2 weeks in a row, but i'm going against the visceral fat on this one. the d will pick up where they left off cause they're unstoppable and on offense we show we are legit. crazy game plans on both sides of the ball.

we finally have coaches who plan for each opponent instead of the round hole /square peg or whatever....we are going to win because we can pose our will on the opponent...no matter who they are. i am looking forward to a string of success .we gonna win!!!!!!!

finally....a team that expects to win!

Edited by billsredneck1

16 hours ago, billsredneck1 said:

i'm worried about facing pettine. he's gonna throw some new looks at allen and he will bring the heat with some disguised blitzes.

i made the point in another thread that josh should be in the shotgun on every down with a 2 back set.  he wouldn't have to back peddle....

would get a better read of the defense and....

with a two back set he 'll have a ton of options to counter what gets thrown at him.

bills get some chunk plays rushing and come out with a win 27-24.

I like a lot of this post.

Pettine will likely dial up some crazy overload blitzes, and the Bills o-line has had issues with protection on a schematic level. Allen, as we saw with his college film, also has issues correctly diagnosing pressure pre-snap. So if the Bills offense gets off-schedule or behind the sticks, look for Green Bay to attack.

Shotgun is one tool that could help Allen better see the field, and I've always been a fan of diverse, loaded backfield looks (the kind, coincidentally, that McCarthy likes to employ over the years), but I don't think there's a silver bullet (or golden ticket or whatever) that solves anything against an NFL defensive coordinator for longer than a quarter or two. 

Would love to see Croom coming out of the backfield. His athleticism needs to be exploited.