Should Teams Start Spying Josh Allen?

26CornerBlitz

The signal caller’s unpredictableness with his feet is putting pressure on opposing defensive coordinators. The solution could be for these defensive minds to place a spy on Allen. The QB would be all right with that.

“I don’t know if they’re going to tell them to come after me or have one guy sit back. All I know is that if there’s one guy sitting back, it’s better for our offensive line and protection, and it’s better for our guys getting open. We just have more time,” Allen said.

If teams were to employ a spy to watch Allen, that would mean one defender would be eliminated from rushing the passer or dropping into coverage. The shadow player would alter his responsibility on several instances to solely watch Allen. The hope would be to contain the signal caller from breaking the pocket and scampering for large gains. It could actually benefit a player such as Allen, who can take the extra time to find an open receiver. But that’s easier said than done.

2 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Probably should.  It's like you can put on a spy on Rodgers, but he can make you pay for it with his arm and having decent WR.  In the Bills case, I'd throw the spy in there until Allan and the WR can show they can make plays!

1 minute ago, jr1 said:

he's capable of 50+ rushing yards in a game. You have to

If DCs have to account for him it only opens up opportunities in the passing game, so I hope it starts with Pettine this weekend.

8 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

The signal caller’s unpredictableness with his feet is putting pressure on opposing defensive coordinators. The solution could be for these defensive minds to place a spy on Allen. The QB would be all right with that.

“I don’t know if they’re going to tell them to come after me or have one guy sit back. All I know is that if there’s one guy sitting back, it’s better for our offensive line and protection, and it’s better for our guys getting open. We just have more time,” Allen said.

If teams were to employ a spy to watch Allen, that would mean one defender would be eliminated from rushing the passer or dropping into coverage. The shadow player would alter his responsibility on several instances to solely watch Allen. The hope would be to contain the signal caller from breaking the pocket and scampering for large gains. It could actually benefit a player such as Allen, who can take the extra time to find an open receiver. But that’s easier said than done.

I LOVE to see Allen show he really gets the benefit of running, and it's not just "get yards". This guy talks and carries himself like a multiple year pro, and he is showing football knowledge beyond his years as well. 

Fair to say he is well coached, too.

• Like (+1) 2

I think, at this point, teams have to look primarily at keeping him in the pocket, given what he has done running the ball and extending/making plays outside of the pocket. Hopefully, he and his receivers  -and the running game -will be able to take advantage...

Edited by billsfan1959
  • Like (+1) 1

i'm worried about facing pettine. he's gonna throw some new looks at allen and he will bring the heat with some disguised blitzes.

i made the point in another thread that josh should be in the shotgun on every down with a 2 back set.  he wouldn't have to back peddle....

would get a better read of the defense and....

with a two back set he 'll have a ton of options to counter what gets thrown at him.

bills get some chunk plays rushing and come out with a win 27-24.

With Pettine's defense, Josh Allen will attempt just one pass and McCoy will have 425 yards on 25 carries.  

He doesn't need to be a profliic passer this week until Pettine shows he can shut down a running game.  Any running game for that matter.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

For now, at least, the smart move is to keep him in the pocket. Although Josh's arm is just as dangerous as his legs, our receivers aren't all that reliable. If you let him run, he'll hurt you. If you let him throw, there's a decent chance that the pass gets dropped, even if it was a good toss.

Yeah, if I'm the opposing DC, I put a spy on him.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

If I were guessing, from years of defensive tendencies, Pettine has always been a "live by the Blitz, die by the Blitz" kind of guy as a DC.

No spy in GB, they'll come after him and wager they can run him down until he proves they can't - or gets hurt.

Slide, Allen.  Feet first.  You know you know how.

10 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

For now, at least, the smart move is to keep him in the pocket. Although Josh's arm is just as dangerous as his legs, our receivers aren't all that reliable. If you let him run, he'll hurt you. If you let him throw, there's a decent chance that the pass gets dropped, even if it was a good toss.

Yeah, if I'm the opposing DC, I put a spy on him.

I'm not saying this isn't the smart move.  I'm just saying what I think Pettine will do based on past performance.

3 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

To whom that would actually catch them?

Croom?  Ivory?

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

If I were guessing, from years of defensive tendencies, Pettine has always been a "live by the Blitz, die by the Blitz" kind of guy as a DC.

No spy in GB, they'll come after him and wager they can run him down until he proves they can't - or gets hurt.

Slide, Allen.  Feet first.  You know you know how.

I was going to say something similar. DC's may do that, but not Pettine. I think he is going to try and confuse him with exotic looks and blitz him, so even when he doesnt blitz he will think one is coming.

3 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

I was going to say something similar. DC's may do that, but not Pettine. I think he is going to try and confuse him with exotic looks and blitz him, so even when he doesnt blitz he will think one is coming.

All the more reason for McCoy to look forward to facing Pettine's defense.