Mike McCarthy calls Allen a 'stud'

39 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Clearly he’s not as quick and elusive as TT.   But I think hemma said it correctly: he seems to be just effective.  

I would like a bigger sample size but so far I’m encouraged by both his arm and his legs.

Def not as quick or elusive, but I think the difference is his size. He can go much further per stride, and more than that he can shed tacklers because of his size.

Also, the veteran-like pump fakes and selling play action, etc help Josh a TON. Freezing those backers gains him extra free turf, something Tyrod did not do well. Josh realizes he's not Shady or Taylor, so he makes the smart (and often subtle) misdirection moves to gain an advantage; and that's just what I want my QB doing.

2 hours ago, ganesh said:

But he can't escape like Tyrod did.  That was Tyrod's main strength...keeping broken plays alive. I am happy to have a real QB and not the other way around

I'm sorry, but I've gotta pick on this the same way I picked on it when Tyrod was here. You have absolutely no idea that he can't. As Allen gains game experience he could certainly develop a better feel of pressure, fronts & formations, and game flow overall. These things will aid in his ability to escape and turn broken plays into big gains. Just because he hasn't, or hasn't often does not mean that he can't.

2 hours ago, matter2003 said:

I was shocked at how fast he looked on that run to the goalline that he dove on...dude looked way way faster than a 4.73 40 time would lead you to believe

Football speed vs. track speed. Barr's 40 time was a second faster than Allen's but I couldn't tell that from watching that play or the horse collar play. 

I even had a Squealer fan tell me today that Josh Allen looks like the real deal.  So glad we went up and got our guy, rather than trying to save our picks and have him drop to us....it wouldn't have happened.

4 hours ago, No Place To Hyde said:

Actually, I would offer that he's better. While obviosly not as fast, he will actually try and throw before he runs most times that Ive noticed. Also he's very good at situational football, gets what he needs however he can. 

I agree and disagree. Look at his "leaping" run, or the TD dive run. He pulled it down and committed to running early. I am not knocking him for this, the point I want to make is Tyrod would wait to run N-S. He would kind of look around, juke about in the backfield. Allen saw his WR's were covered and in Allen's own words in his press conference "I trusted my gut." I like this, he was decisive, and it caught Barr napping (on the TD run).

This would drive me nuts about Tyrod, obviously his biggest threat is his running, yet he was rarely decisive with it, unless it was a called keeper.

33 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Football speed vs. track speed. Barr's 40 time was a second faster than Allen's but I couldn't tell that from watching that play or the horse collar play. 

This is true, everyone including myself threw up the question marks when we drafted RayRay even though it was later rounds. "What the hell, this guy is tiny AND he isnt very fast." Then you watch him in game action and he looks pretty damn quick and fast.

I think Ray-Ray and Proehl had identical 40 times and speed. However Ray-Ray looked MUCH faster than Proehl when I saw them in preseason

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, PolishPrince said:

I agree and disagree. Look at his "leaping" run, or the TD dive run. He pulled it down and committed to running early. I am not knocking him for this, the point I want to make is Tyrod would wait to run N-S. He would kind of look around, juke about in the backfield. Allen saw his WR's were covered and in Allen's own words in his press conference "I trusted my gut." I like this, he was decisive, and it caught Barr napping (on the TD run).

This would drive me nuts about Tyrod, obviously his biggest threat is his running, yet he was rarely decisive with it, unless it was a called keeper.

And I agree and disagree. Yes, Tyrod would hold it, kind of look around, juke a few times but ultimately would end up eating a sack or by the time he ran the running lanes were closing up. Now, he did have some good runs and big plays with his legs. No doubt there.

The difference between the 2 is that with Allen, even when he steps up defenses still have to respect the arm. Biggest difference is Allen is a QB that can run whrre Tyrod is an athlete that will throw.

Were we expecting McCarthy to say he looks raw and not ready?  That the film reveals several weaknesses which Green Bay thinks they can exploit fully to their advantage?

Of course he's going to be complimentary.  No reason not to.

He's that way with everyone.

32 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Didn’t Mike Shanahan praise JP losman?  I remember Belichick talking about how dangerous Josh Reed was.  I’m not saying Allen might not be a “stud” but this is coach speak.

also, besides Rodgers, haven’t the qbs under McCarthy kinda sucked?

yeah that's it, just coach speak.

giphy.gif

• Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, No Place To Hyde said:

Actually, I would offer that he's better. While obviosly not as fast, he will actually try and throw before he runs most times that Ive noticed. Also he's very good at situational football, gets what he needs however he can. 

Actually, according to next gen stats Josh Allen was going 20.6 mph during his touch down run of 10 yards.  That is the fastest run by ANY quarterback over the last three years (which are the only stats they have kept). Tyrod Taylor is on the list once, running 19.23 on a 18 yard run in week 9 of last year.

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/top-plays/fastest-ball-carriers/2018/3

• Like (+1) 1