Belichick: "What it takes to win" hasn't changed

notwoz

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/football-is-changing-bill-belichick-doesnt-think-the-keys-to-winning-ever-will/2018/09/26/23ed6776-c011-11e8-be77-516336a26305_story.html?utm_term=.4640e98898d5

An interesting piece on the dark lord of Foxborough from the "Washington Post." As much as I hate how he's dominated football and the Bills all these years, it's obvious he has a laser focus on producing the best team he can produce and has been able to adjust to changes in the game. Some samples from the story:

"The Patriots are obviously a work in progress; the question is whether they can reassert their habitual discipline as Belichick layers on the work going forward. He relies on what players say is an extraordinary amount of monotonous repetition, until a concept is ingrained deep into their bones. Hand technique, foot placements. Precisely how to bat down a pass, how to shed a blocker, how to gain leverage. “There was no number on it until we got it right,” (Lawyer) Milloy says.

And thinking about the thread showing McDermott yelling at the QB and receivers for not connecting: A quote from the dark lord himself: "if you can’t do things properly without resistance from an opponent, it doesn’t matter who they are, you’re in trouble. So, start with that.”

It's easy to be this way when you win. It's easy to win when you have the best QB in football for almost 2 decades. Look at how successful Saban is in college. His mantra and style is almost identical to Belichick. But when he came into the pros he didn't have the clout to go with his process and it was a mess from the beginning. Do players tolerate Bill when Brady is gone and the results aren't such a sure thing anymore?

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Luka said:

It's easy to be this way when you win. It's easy to win when you have the best QB in football for almost 2 decades. Look at how successful Saban is in college. His mantra and style is almost identical to Belichick. But when he came into the pros he didn't have the clout to go with his process and it was a mess from the beginning. Do players tolerate Bill when Brady is gone and the results aren't such a sure thing anymore?

The story addresses many of those issues. It's about more than just a quarterback. It's about a philosophy  geared to winning. Read the story.

1 hour ago, notwoz said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/football-is-changing-bill-belichick-doesnt-think-the-keys-to-winning-ever-will/2018/09/26/23ed6776-c011-11e8-be77-516336a26305_story.html?utm_term=.4640e98898d5

An interesting piece on the dark lord of Foxborough from the "Washington Post." As much as I hate how he's dominated football and the Bills all these years, it's obvious he has a laser focus on producing the best team he can produce and has been able to adjust to changes in the game. Some samples from the story:

"The Patriots are obviously a work in progress; the question is whether they can reassert their habitual discipline as Belichick layers on the work going forward. He relies on what players say is an extraordinary amount of monotonous repetition, until a concept is ingrained deep into their bones. Hand technique, foot placements. Precisely how to bat down a pass, how to shed a blocker, how to gain leverage. “There was no number on it until we got it right,” (Lawyer) Milloy says.

And thinking about the thread showing McDermott yelling at the QB and receivers for not connecting: A quote from the dark lord himself: "if you can’t do things properly without resistance from an opponent, it doesn’t matter who they are, you’re in trouble. So, start with that.”

The philosophy is the same as 90% of the coaches in the NFL. He is just good at getting his players to do it and has a HOF QB on the roster. That's why he has been more successful than everyone else.

14 minutes ago, vincec said:

The philosophy is the same as 90% of the coaches in the NFL. He is just good at getting his players to do it and has a HOF QB on the roster. That's why he has been more successful than everyone else.

Well, maybe these other coaches have the "same" philosophy. But he knows how to turn that philosophy into results. And it's not like this "HOF QB" just fell into his lap. Brady was a SIXTH ROUND pick.  Every team in the league had multiple chances to pick the "HOF"  QB. But they didn't. Belichick liked what he saw and did.

30 minutes ago, notwoz said:

The story addresses many of those issues. It's about more than just a quarterback. It's about a philosophy  geared to winning. Read the story. You might not sound so stupid.

Or it’s having the best qb ever.  BB got fired in Cleveland and was about to get fired in NE until Mo Lewis.

i think McDermott is a dime a dozen head coach, like 95% of coaches.  However if Josh Allen is on Brady’s level, we will all praise his culture and all that BS.  NE has made awful personnel decisions the last 5 years (see Chandler Jones) but they keep winning.  But it’s probably about the culture and not Brady.

11 minutes ago, notwoz said:

Well, maybe these other coaches have the "same" philosophy. But he knows how to turn that philosophy into results. And it's not like this "HOF QB" just fell into his lap. Brady was a SIXTH ROUND pick.  Every team in the league had multiple chances to pick the "HOF"  QB. But they didn't. Belichick liked what he saw and did.

He liked him so much he passed on 5 times. Genius!

Edited by C.Biscuit97
  • Haha (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Or it’s having the best qb ever.  BB got fired in Cleveland and was about to get fired in NE until Mo Lewis.

i think McDermott is a dime a dozen head coach, like 95% of coaches.  However if Josh Allen is on Brady’s level, we will all praise his culture and all that BS.  NE has made awful personnel decisions the last 5 years (see Chandler Jones) but they keep winning.  But it’s probably about the culture and not Brady.

It is about the culture. And he passed five times ... THEN TOOK HIM. GENIUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, notwoz said:

The story addresses many of those issues. It's about more than just a quarterback. It's about a philosophy  geared to winning. Read the story. You might not sound so stupid.

The story doesn't address an issue that hasn't happened yet. They still win. The question was what happens when Brady isn't there and the wins aren't such a sure thing. The only person here that sounds like an idiot is you. But that's what happens when you have a low IQ and can't contribute to a discussion in any meaningful way.

I have a different theory on the patriots sustained success that borders on an analytical anomaly in a sport that boasts parity.

Sure, Tom Brady has been a great QB, and Bellicheck is a talented coach -- but so what there have been plenty of those "Combos" over the years, they didn't necessarily lead to the sustained success over multiple decades that the patriots experienced. 

No, their sustained winning is a combination of those things but also the "unseen hand" that is the NFL as entertainment value. The league has helped the patriots out quite a lot a long the way and over the years with the calls they have made (And not made) that have really impacted their seasons at crucial moments, and in big games. Slightly tilting the table more in their favor in those prime time moments.

When you tip the table in favor of already talented individuals, you get a Football dynasty that the NFL has banked billions off of. Everyone loves a hero (and a villain), and for every underdog you need the reigning champions. The NFL Knows this, and when Brady is gone the will choose their next Dynasty -- lets hope it's buffalo!:)

Edited by BillsFan692

1 hour ago, notwoz said:

Actually, he did. Nobody, including Belichick, had any idea Brady would be any good at all. It was fortuitous - not genius

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Just biding his tim until the perfect moment to strike!

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I’m ok with McD having taken us to the playoffs last year (in 17 years)...and we didn’t have Brady at QB. Something tells me “football DNA” has something to do with it. McDermott is quite a bit different from 95% of the other coaches (in my opinion). 

25 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

I’m ok with McD having taken us to the playoffs last year (in 17 years)...and we didn’t have Brady at QB. Something tells me “football DNA” has something to do with it. McDermott is quite a bit different from 95% of the other coaches (in my opinion). 

The crap AFC and finally getting lucky after 17 years were the biggest reasons why.  The playoffs has seen a bunch of terrible coaches make it.  

Do it again and then I’ll start believing the culture BS (although it will probsbly be because of Allen).

13 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

The crap AFC and finally getting lucky after 17 years were the biggest reasons why.  The playoffs has seen a bunch of terrible coaches make it.  

Do it again and then I’ll start believing the culture BS (although it will probsbly be because of Allen).

Plus....Gingers have no soul. 

5 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I’m just curious why culture is BS? You realize developing a culture is huge to the sustained success of an organization, not just in sports, but any organization. 

The military is legitimately based around culture and without a doubt our military is the single best run organization in the world. It all starts with culture. If you don’t have 100% buy in of the concepts valued by the military you don’t make it, it’s imperative for your peers to have 100% confidence in you. It starts and ends with accountability, attention to detail and strong values. 

No different than what is commonly associated with successful sports organizations. The same stuff McDermott preaches here, and has begun to successfully implement.

Watch how those guys reacted last year on key plays in big moments, it was different than any other team. Taiwan Jones spin move against Oakland on a key 3rd down comes to mind. Our 3rd string RB makes a key, but not crucial play, and the entire team mobs him? That’s not fantasy land, that’s real stuff. That means something to a group of people. It’s not just Madden where you plug in everyone who is 99 overall and win a Super Bowl, or fantasy football where all that matters is the number they produce at the end of the day. All 53 guys in the locker room, the coaching staff, the training staff, the front office, they’re all people with real emotions. You can’t just shove them on the field and say go play with nothing to really play for, this is just a job and they get paid roughly the same if the make the playoffs or not, definitely not enough of an incentive money wise to get all 53 guys to buy in and sell their bodies out in order to play more games and put their body on the line. 

Also I can’t stand listening to the whole narrative of how the team got lucky to make the playoffs. Nothing is given, it is earned. They practiced every day, they played every week and they had the required amount of wins to make the playoffs. That means as the Wild Card team, there were 10 teams in the AFC that they were better than, and therefore earned the right to go the playoffs. They did what they needed to do in order to get in, 10 other teams did not. Plain and simple. It’s indisputable.  

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

He's had the alleged GOAT at QB since the turn of the century.  Yet he still cheated.  Why?

The logic here is reversed....the cheating created the alleged GOAT. We may never find out the truth....but I think there is something the Pats discovered...a new advanced way to cheat....cheating on multiple fronts. I'm not really sure what it was or is....but if the Pats all of a sudden become dominant for two more years, that means a new advanced way to cheat has been invented. I also think the circle of guys who know the "cheat" are limited. Possibly only Tom and Bill.