McDermott not pleased with WRs in practice

YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, BringBackFergy said:

Woods, Watkins and Goodwin would have cost us more money than we had. Beane-ology dictates that you get some draft picks or unload salary to acquire younger players and re-visit the WR position when the cornerstones (QB, Defensive secondary and line, and MLB are set)

I think that's incorrect that they would have cost us more money than we had.  Watkins could have been kept through last year at a moderate rookie salary.  Goodwin and Woods both signed modest deals with SF and LA in 2017.  We've blown more money at the position on Coleman, AJM, and Benjamin not to mention Kerley etc. than we saved.

I don't think you can get away from the fact that poor WR talent evaluation is involved here, but YMMV

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, billsredneck1 said:

not to mention , you have to stagger rookie contracts so they're not all due the same year. it's the only way to keep a core together.  it's also likely to be an even more exciting off season than last year. process....

Good thing they staggered Zay’s contract so we can cut him next year.

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

That’s kind of what I am getting at. This isn’t like, “they haven’t had a chance to invest yet.” They used more than a 2nd on Zay and a 3rd on Benjamin. They were planning on them being core members of this receiver group moving forward at the time they acquired them. The same can probably be said for Jordan Mathews. Not one of those guys is going to be a key part of your receiver room. They may be in the room but as guys not focal points. This regime just kind of butchered the position and now need to hit the reset button.

Correct. This is not a “we haven’t invested at WR” problem. It’s a “our investments failed at WR” problem. 

We’ve traded a third for Benjamin and took his fifth year option which we declined on Watkins. It would have been $4M more to just keep Sammy for the same amount of time. Is there any doubt Sammy is better than KB right now?

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think that's incorrect that they would have cost us more money than we had.  Watkins could have been kept through last year at a moderate rookie salary.  Goodwin and Woods both signed modest deals with SF and LA in 2017.  We've blown more money at the position on Coleman, AJM, and Benjamin not to mention Kerley etc. than we saved.

I don't think you can get away from the fact that poor WR talent evaluation is involved here, but YMMV

Some parts poor and some parts desperate.  

18 hours ago, PolishPrince said:

People need to stop posting this. Dez's agent has already said he is only interested in a superbowl contender. The Bills and their now 30th in the power ranking is not this....

I am as pumped and feeling hopeful as the next guy after this last win, but one win after two blow outs with a rookie QB is not going to suddenly make a guy like Dez go "all they need is me for Super Bowl"

I'm only interested in super models that are PhD candidates.  Turns out I may be over estimating my own market value.

Edited by Jauronimo
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

Once again, you want the whole enchilada but you don't have enough money in your pocket to pay for the whole enchilada. See above discussion re. keeping Watkins and Woods on the contracts they wanted and our cap situation. Beane's mantra has been to build through the draft (rookies on 4 and 5 year contracts), acquire free agents to fill in the rest. The acquisition of free agents hinges on the amount of cash in your pocket. Next year we can buy 7 or 8 whole enchiladas. Your argument boils down to "I want my franchise QB, I want D line free agents like Murphy and Star, I want a young middle LB, I want a fast WR and a strong WR, I want Shady, I want this, I want that..."  You'll get the fast and strong WR. But you have to wait a bit for it. In the interim, you play with the guys you have.

The Bills have been claiming that they can't "afford" to keep the best players they developed because of "the salary cap" for the last 20 years while numerous other teams have repeatedly managed to do just that.  Some teams have built and maintained dynasties during that period.  Others have built juggernauts  loaded with expensive players that have produced multiple successful playoff seasons.  Most other NFL teams have at least had a few seasons where they won more than 9 games.  The Bills haven't done that yet in the 21st century ... and even with new ownership, new coaching, new FO organization, they are still trotting out the same lame excuses which their fans faithfully repeat to defend the same old manure wrapped in new paper.

No, the Bills couldn't afford to keep Goodwin, Woods, and Watkins, but they certainly could have afforded to keep one ... and their WR corps would be 100%, maybe 1000%, better than the excrement they've got out there now -- and if they didn't waste so much cap space on players Beane brought in and then shuffled out, they would have more $$ to invest in better players. 

48 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

I'm only interested in super models that are PHd candidates.  Turns out I may be over estimating my own market value.

I guess you could turn down all dates that don't fit your criteria and stay home if that's what you prefer.

Same with Dez

This whole "superbowl contender" thing  just makes me laugh though.  Did someone pre-season predict more than 25% of Eagles-Viks/Jaguars-Pats as the final 4?  Every year a couple of teams contend, who were not felt to be in it before the season, and a couple of teams that were seen as strong contenders for one or another reason fall flat.

19 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

So to be clear, these guys gutted the receiver room and replaced them with the worst receivers in the league. Now they are mad that these guys suck? Whose fault is that?

who did they "gut" that would have made a difference besides R. Woods?  K. Benjamin plays like he's 3 inches shorter than he is.  D. Thompson played "bigger" than him.  Well, they should have kept D. Thompson.  

4 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

Once again, you want the whole enchilada but you don't have enough money in your pocket to pay for the whole enchilada. See above discussion re. keeping Watkins and Woods on the contracts they wanted and our cap situation. Beane's mantra has been to build through the draft (rookies on 4 and 5 year contracts), acquire free agents to fill in the rest. The acquisition of free agents hinges on the amount of cash in your pocket. Next year we can buy 7 or 8 whole enchiladas. Your argument boils down to "I want my franchise QB, I want D line free agents like Murphy and Star, I want a young middle LB, I want a fast WR and a strong WR, I want Shady, I want this, I want that..."  You'll get the fast and strong WR. But you have to wait a bit for it. In the interim, you play with the guys you have.

agree with this.  And they made moves like K. Benjamin that looked like winners at the time.  So did J. Matthews, who even the Pats*** scooped up.  Neither one has panned out.  

Someone should remind Benjamin it's a contract year for him.   

15 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Actually that's the difference between a playoff team and average Joe's 

Millennial argument? As if an entire generation can be summed up by a single comment. God the over generalization is annoying. Let me help you out: 

We live at home, have no motivation, swimming in debt, zero accountability, super entitled, blah blah blah. 

Not to take it out on you but it I hate hearing the stereotype.

You have to admit the ties are making the numbers a little wonky. Let's say they split in another scenario. you're talking bottom five 7-8 and top five 8-7. It's one game of consequence thus far. I'd be super curious to see what these numbers are like at week 8.  

Edited by quinnearlysghost88

That's what's called getting chewed out nowadays? My dad is a Vietnam vet and I can tell you when I did something wrong I was at attention and scared shitless. I didn't see him yell or single out anyone, he just walked over said a few words then clapped.

I would be happy if we just released every WR that we have and did a fresh start in 2019.

McD seems to be ramping up the urgency, at least visibly, in games and in practice.    That's good to see.   No reason this club should be blown out with the defense they have here.  Just need max effort on every down.   And the O needs to contribute in the first half much like they did last week....

2 hours ago, SoTier said:

The Bills have been claiming that they can't "afford" to keep the best players they developed because of "the salary cap" for the last 20 years while numerous other teams have repeatedly managed to do just that.  Some teams have built and maintained dynasties during that period.  Others have built juggernauts  loaded with expensive players that have produced multiple successful playoff seasons.  Most other NFL teams have at least had a few seasons where they won more than 9 games.  The Bills haven't done that yet in the 21st century ... and even with new ownership, new coaching, new FO organization, they are still trotting out the same lame excuses which their fans faithfully repeat to defend the same old manure wrapped in new paper.

No, the Bills couldn't afford to keep Goodwin, Woods, and Watkins, but they certainly could have afforded to keep one ... and their WR corps would be 100%, maybe 1000%, better than the excrement they've got out there now -- and if they didn't waste so much cap space on players Beane brought in and then shuffled out, they would have more $$ to invest in better players. 

If they are free agents the player also needs to WANT to resign. If you were a WR with Tyrod as your qb, would you really be wanting to resign there without being grossly overpaid?

21 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Love the intensity McD brought, just in case anyone was thinking of laying around on their laurels from the Minnie game—if anything, this week facing a grumpy GB squad with a 1st ballot HOFer almost makes this an even tougher road game, and the boys will have to dig deeper to find the kind of internal wrecking ball that was the Bills last week. Huge win last week, but to really give the national media and naysayers on this board some what for, they need to pull off another upset. Won’t do that by losing focus in practice. And as others have posted in more detail, our WR’s individually are poor at best, so the effort needs to be rock solid...

EmbarrassedAgitatedHyrax-small.gif

• Like (+1) 1