McDermott not pleased with WRs in practice

YoloinOhio

If he's not pleased with their performance in practice, he should see a game...

1 minute ago, BringBackFergy said:

Casting blame on coach and GM for a 3-4 year process seems pre-mature after three games. 

I, for one, would like to welcome you to the community of Buffalo Bills fan.  After a couple of days here, you'll under stand that the above is...well, it's how we roll.

6 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

Who's this we? You and your pet gerbil?

Oh, give me a !@#$ing break.  You were in the "We should draft a QB with every pick until we find one!" crowd.  That's almost as dumb as "winning hurts the franchise."

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

I think you're missing drops vs defended passes.  Like a receiver had his man beat and just flat out dropped it vs getting a ball knocked out or deflected.

At least that's my guess because you're right.  The math doesn't add up if you're just taking about completion percentage.

That's what I'm saying. The claim is "dropped passes". That excludes defended passes and bad throws. Even if you include those, the stats shown above seem suspicious.

28 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

There is a process (which we aren’t privy to) and once the defense, QB and Oline/TE’s (Croom) are shored up, it will be refreshing to see a stud WR and RB drafted next year. In the interim, we can relax and enjoy the games. Casting blame on coach and GM for a 3-4 year process seems pre-mature after three games. Let’s see what these younger guys can do. 

I’m just not excusing them. As an example they could have picked Ju-Ju instead of Zay. That would have been a good decision. The free agent receivers that they paid in 2017 were Andre Holmes, Anquan Boldin, Philly Brown, Rod Streater, Jeremy Butler and Brandon Tate. They get the blame for that. Not one of those guys can play. They also trade for Mathews and Benjamin while trading up for Zay. That was the group that they decided was good enough after trading Watkins and letting Woods and Goodwin walk. They don’t get a pass for that or get to hide behind “the process.” That can’t be judged as anything but a massive failure. 

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I'm probably reaching a bit with such little footage but the body language of the players doesn't look great. 

Doesn't seem to be any intensity/urgency amongst the receiver's. 

Probably reading to much in to it maybe it's right before end of practice idk but I would expect a McD team to practice with high intensity from start to finish.

*Sorry quoted 26CB thinking it would include the video he posted for us on first page ?

Edited by Ned Kelly
I'm dumb

23 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

There were lots of things that they could have done instead of trading for Mathews, Kaelin Clay & Benjamin. They took guys in the 6th and 7th and some undrafted FAs. They signed journeymen receivers in Streater, Holmes & Kerley and traded up in round 2 for Zay Jones. Literally every WR decision that they have made has been wrong. The people most responsible for this are McDermott and Beane. 

I’m not excusing McCloud but I’m not praising McDermott for it either. This mess is on him.

16 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

There is a process (which we aren’t privy to) and once the defense, QB and Oline/TE’s (Croom) are shored up, it will be refreshing to see a stud WR and RB drafted next year. In the interim, we can relax and enjoy the games. Casting blame on coach and GM for a 3-4 year process seems pre-mature after three games. Let’s see what these younger guys can do. 

Fergy, I think you are right about the overall "process" here and why we couldn't keep Woods/Goodwin and why we traded Sammy, etc. However, the issue is still that we replaced them with absolutely garbage. We traded a 3rd for Kelvin Benjamin. For a staff that has placed a huge emphasis on acquiring picks, how could they justify the 3rd for KB. I mean, he could really turn it around this season I suppose, but to this point it has been a total mistake. Zay over Juju, cutting Kerley - the only reliable vet out there... Plenty of decisions you can question. 

It's like, do you trust McDermott and Beane to get the right guys if they do prioritize and spend big on skill positions in the draft and offseason? I'm not so sure just yet. I do think they are doing a lot of things right, but this is the one area where I have no idea what they're thinking.

hmmm.....lets see.....crappy WR's.....dropped balls......wow big surprise here......should of thought about that before they pooled everything into the D in the offseason.......maybe next time they will use a little balance when building up this team.... 

6 minutes ago, BUFFALOKIE said:

That's what I'm saying. The claim is "dropped passes". That excludes defended passes and bad throws. Even if you include those, the stats shown above seem suspicious.

I don't think so honestly.  There were 3 drops in Sunday of Allen's 22 passes.  Assuming there were only 3.  That's what I remember.

That's 13.6%. 

I think that drop stat is right.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Big C said:

Fergy, I think you are right about the overall "process" here and why we couldn't keep Woods/Goodwin and why we traded Sammy, etc. However, the issue is still that we replaced them with absolutely garbage. We traded a 3rd for Kelvin Benjamin. For a staff that has placed a huge emphasis on acquiring picks, how could they justify the 3rd for KB. I mean, he could really turn it around this season I suppose, but to this point it has been a total mistake. Zay over Juju, cutting Kerley - the only reliable vet out there... Plenty of decisions you can question. 

It's like, do you trust McDermott and Beane to get the right guys if they do prioritize and spend big on skill positions in the draft and offseason? I'm not so sure just yet. I do think they are doing a lot of things right, but this is the one area where I have no idea what they're thinking.

I’m with ya. Do I think they could have perfected the roster with the salary cap as it stood? Sure. But it’s a sum certain that depends not only on price tag, but personalities. I’ll take this team as presently constituted over the alternative (egos like Dareus, Incognito and Watkins). I’m willing to wait and I’m thrilled with the progress from Week 1 to Week 3. 

59 minutes ago, pimp on da' net said:

I love this by McD. It shows that details are important...

Why didn't Dabol, show the same concern? I hope the OC got a wake up as well.

I laughed cause the video was a typical assistant coach. The clip shows Daboll standing in the back going through the script and then you see Allen throw and Ray Ray trying to catch it behind his back. 

Then you get the McDermott tirade to the WRs and all of a sudden you see Daboll on the move looking like he’s coaching up the WRs while the HC is looking 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I’m just not excusing them. As an example they could have pick Ju-Ju instead of Zay. That would have been a good decision. The free agent receivers that the paid in 2017 are Andre Holmes, Anquan Boldin, Philly Brown, Rod Streater, Jeremy Butler and Brandon Tate. They get the blame for that. Not one of those guys can play. They also trade for Mathews and Benjamin while trading up for Zay. That was the group that they decided was good enough after trading Watkins and letting Woods and Goodwin walk. They don’t get a pass for that or get to hide behind “the process.” That can’t be judged as anything but a massive failure. 

They couda, woulda , shoulda, hindsight is 2020 as far as Ju-Ju is concerned and you still don't know if Zay may be better in the long run . As far as Watkins is concerned , he wasn't going to sign with the Bills  and neither was Woods. Goodwin we never got a chance to see his potential as he was continually injured. They also were under the duress of having a QB who couldn't or wouldn't throw to them . This is only the second year of the McBeane regime so I think there should be some sense of  timeliness  before we go running amok.

• Like (+1) 2

58 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

There were lots of things that they could have done instead of trading for Mathews, Kaelin Clay & Benjamin. They took guys in the 6th and 7th and some undrafted FAs. They signed journeymen receivers in Streater, Holmes & Kerley and traded up in round 2 for Zay Jones. Literally every WR decision that they have made has been wrong. The people most responsible for this are McDermott and Beane. 

I’m not excusing McCloud but I’m not praising McDermott for it either. This mess is on him.

Quoted for truth. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, tbarg12 said:

Ray Ray out there trying to be fancy and dropped the ball just like it was a game. McDermott has been needing to lay into the recievers.

Completely agree, I'm just glad to see this from McDermott regardless, much less the receivers. Practice how you play, otherwise why show up. That's how you see teams show up "unprepared" on Sundays.

That being said, when healthy, Ray Ray is performing better in games than some of our top receivers...

Edited by ctk232

2 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

McD should be planting his foot up the receivers coach arse and make those receivers stay overtime on the jugs

Exactly what was the OC and WR coach doing.. They should have been on the face of those WRs

• Like (+1) 1

Didn't exactly view it as "rip into" - and certainly not directed at Allen.  Was more 'strong encouragement' as I saw it

Edited by stevewin