Texting in the business world

Captain Hindsight

I don’t see how texting is any different than email. I find texting easier for casual conversation and email more for long form. In my business my only phone is my cell (why would you want a desk phone and multiple voice mail boxes?). Each industry is different but for mine the concept of 9-5 work hours is pretty outdated. Most don’t abuse late night and weekends but business does occasionally occur at all hours. 

Live by the sword, die by the sword.  Like Max Fischer said... What's the problem, just another way to communicate.  If I was management and job required to be contacted... I'd make answering/communicating via text mandatory... Or show where the door is.

Can't cherry pick.  Email is still the wild west, probably less secure.

Get used to being able to handle/do the job 24/7/365.  It's the way of the world.  Can't have your cake and eat it too.  We are in a constant communication world.

My direct reports can text me whenever they want.  I rarely get them outside of morning texts to tell me they'll be late or out.

My boss will text me if he can't get a hold of me at my desk, or if he's traveling.  Rare.

I do work with a project manager pretty closely.  There was an IT project at the office last Saturday.  I was going to come in; he was adamant that it wouldn't be necessary.  It's an hour commute, so I was like, "if you say so."  So I didn't go it.

He called me about 10 !@#$ing times throughout the day.  I answered every time.  But then my son and I were waiting for a table at a local establishment (going to see our friend play guitar); we waited for about a half hour.  Dude calls me AGAIN.  At this time, it's 6:40pm.  Now I'm kind of pissed.  But I answer.  As we're talking, my name was called for a table.  I told the guy, "I was just told our table is ready; I have to go."  and I hung up.

Once we got seated, I quickly texted him, apologizing for the abrupt end to the call.  He apologized for calling so late.  In the end ... it's rare, so it's no big deal.

On my days off, however, I like to be left alone.  But my work cell = my personal cell.  For now.

My last two jobs I’ve gone the “two phones” route. That way I can leave the work phone at home on the weekends or when I’m on vacation. It takes some getting used to but after a while it’s worth it when you start to realize how little people actually need you for anything. 

17 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

I work for a utility program that does energy efficiency projects across NYS. Because of this, I handle roughly 500 projects a year with 50-60 contractors doing said projects. Most of these interactions are professional through emails and calls to my office. But a few contractors have been texting me to get updates or ask questions which I can't stand. Including one who would text me at 1030 at night.

I'm a millennial, which means I'm killing every single industry out there, but I'm also a professional.  Am I wrong to expect other professionals to use email or call me if they want to talk something over?

Latest one to text me, I just sent an email back.

Rant over. Get off my lawn

It’s a new day. I don’t like the texts because they are harder to document but I have some massive clients that communicate primarily through text. I think, like us, it’s the quickest and most efficient way to get an answer. It’s not going away.

I text, call, or email all day every day. I usually don't text a customer until they do so first,  but the amount of people I deal with daily makes texts easier because I work in the shop and hate to have to check emails all the time. It's better than calls for having a written answer.

On 9/26/2018 at 2:40 PM, Captain Hindsight said:

I work for a utility program that does energy efficiency projects across NYS. Because of this, I handle roughly 500 projects a year with 50-60 contractors doing said projects. Most of these interactions are professional through emails and calls to my office. But a few contractors have been texting me to get updates or ask questions which I can't stand. Including one who would text me at 1030 at night.

I'm a millennial, which means I'm killing every single industry out there, but I'm also a professional.  Am I wrong to expect other professionals to use email or call me if they want to talk something over?

Latest one to text me, I just sent an email back.

Rant over. Get off my lawn

How this is viewed is going to vary from context to context.

I don't really understand what it is you actually do based on your post, but I don't think I would be using a personal cell phone in your position, and I would try to limit communication to work phone and work email.  

• Like (+1) 1