Texting in the business world

Captain Hindsight

I work for a utility program that does energy efficiency projects across NYS. Because of this, I handle roughly 500 projects a year with 50-60 contractors doing said projects. Most of these interactions are professional through emails and calls to my office. But a few contractors have been texting me to get updates or ask questions which I can't stand. Including one who would text me at 1030 at night.

I'm a millennial, which means I'm killing every single industry out there, but I'm also a professional.  Am I wrong to expect other professionals to use email or call me if they want to talk something over?

Latest one to text me, I just sent an email back.

Rant over. Get off my lawn

I don't do business on my personal phone unless i am working outside of the office and have to call into a meeting.....if you can't reach me on my desk phone, you can reach me via email.  That being said I don't have much individual clients I work with, I am more corporate so I don't have to be at the beck and call of every customer at that exact minute

• Like (+1) 1

I've had people request my personal cell and I never give it out.  I've got a work phone and a work email and if you can't get me at those you probably shouldn't be talking to me.   I have spent Christmas eve's driving back to the office because someone gave out my cell number and an issue that really wasn't an  issue was made out to be life threatening.    Never again.   

When guys say "just text me that information" sorry, I can email it I can't text it.    Actually I did one time a few months ago, I texted the information, and immediately blocked the number.    He called me back on my work phone and that was that.  

i give out my cell pretty freely, and let my peeps know they can contact me any time.  there's a pro and con to it.  i do get calls/texts at strange and inconvenient times, but mostly people are considerate.  the only time i'm annoyed by it is if i'm off call, and people don't know because they call my cell vs my office.  otherwise it's been a great business builder to let people know i'm there for them.

My superiors and colleagues are free to text me.  My customers, my contractors and my vendors are welcome to text me. But, if you actually work for me at the day job: GTFO my phone.  

I have had them call me and I send it to voice mail every time.

1 hour ago, Captain Hindsight said:

I work for a utility program that does energy efficiency projects across NYS. Because of this, I handle roughly 500 projects a year with 50-60 contractors doing said projects. Most of these interactions are professional through emails and calls to my office. But a few contractors have been texting me to get updates or ask questions which I can't stand. Including one who would text me at 1030 at night.

I'm a millennial, which means I'm killing every single industry out there, but I'm also a professional.  Am I wrong to expect other professionals to use email or call me if they want to talk something over?

Document, document, document.

ONLY conduct business correspondence via email.

Coworkers and vendors/partners can text me all they want, and I'll probably even reply. I've only had a very select few of customers who I allowed to text me, over the years.

But for the most part, I have no problem with it. Especially back when work was supplying their own cell phone and paying for the service.

Texting with vendors/contractors is no big deal, imo. I prefer it to a phone call since it leaves any sort of paper trail.

3 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Is this after work hours the texts?  Pretty sure you would be entitled to be paid by your employer if your not salaried.  

Ocassianly Ill get texts but it’s only if someone’s out of the office

Edited by Another Fan

I recently had some asbestos removal done at my house.  I was able to use texting for quick questions, such as verifying they will be coming even though it was pouring rain.  Most other discussions were on the phone or in person. I like texting for the small stuff. Response is quick, no small talk. Just the facts. 

I also text my boss and coworkers if I’m going to be out or late. Quicker and easier than phone messages. 

I’m a grandfather. Retiring next spring. My kids are millennials. 

Edited by Gray Beard

4 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

What does this mean?