The Young Guns Have Arrived in the NFL !!

T master

22 hours ago, billsredneck1 said:

i agree about pettine and the schemes, but i'm getting a gut feeling about this kid.

i think his desire to win may be enough to will this team to wins and overcome any hiccups during games. can't wait til sunday!

hell, kelly came back from throwing 3-4 picks in a half.....if memory serves me at all.

this kid has never say die in him and i am stoked.

Like Kelly, he shows no fear. Like Kelly, his makes mistakes but just moves onto the next play, doesn't let him impact him.

Well, we can break it down into 3 groups:

Old Guard:

1. Tom Brady (19th season, Age 41) 

2. Drew Brees (18th season, Age 39) 

3. Eli Manning (15th season, Age 37)

4. Ben Roethlisberger (15th season, Age 36)

5. Philip Rivers (15th season, Age 36)

6. Aaron Rodgers (14th season, Age 34)

7. Alex Smith (14th season, Age 34)

8. Matt Ryan (11th season, Age 33)

9. Joe Flacco (11th season, Age 33)

10. Matthew Stafford (10th season, Age 30)

Mid Guard (ha):

1. Andy Dalton (8th season, Age 30)

2. Cam Newton (8th season, Age 29)

3. Tyrod Taylor (8th season, Age 29)  <<<Backup

4. Kirk Cousins (7th season, Age 30)

5. Ryan Tannehill (7th season, Age 30)

6. Andrew Luck (7th season, Age 29)

7. Russell Wilson (7th season, Age 29)

8. Nick Foles (7th season, Age 29)  <<<Backup

9. Case Keenum (6th season, Age 30) 

New Guard:

1. Derek Carr (5th season, Age 27)

2. Blake Bortles (5th season, Age 26)

3. Jimmy Garoppolo (5th season, Age 26)

4. Teddy Bridgewater (5th season, Age 25)  <<<Backup

5. Marcus Mariota (4th season, Age 24)

6. Jameis Winston (4th season, Age 24)

7. Dak Prescott (3rd season, Age 25)

8. Carson Wentz (3rd season, Age 25)

9. Jared Goff (3rd season, Age 23)

10. Mitch Trubisky (2nd season, Age 24)

11. Deshaun Watson (2nd season, Age 23)

12. Patrick Mahomes (2nd season, Age 23)

13. Baker Mayfield (Rookie, Age 23)

14. Josh Allen (Rookie, Age 22)

15. Sam Darnold (Rookie, Age 21)

16. Josh Rosen (Rookie, Age 21)

17. Lamar Jackson (Rookie, Age 21)  <<<Backup

1) So out of those groups, we've only got 10 active QB's who have played 10 or more seasons. Outside of Stafford being 30 and Brady being 41, that group averages about 35 years of age. Any of them could retire, play year to year, or be done after this season depending on how they feel. Others like Rodgers may pull a Brady & continue playing into their 40's, you just never know. But that group isn't only on the older side, they're also far & away the best skill-wise on the field.

2) The middle group is your experienced but younger veterans, who may or may not truly separate themselves, and have often been the most heavily debated bunch on whether they deserve to be called "franchise QB's." People like Dalton, Tannehill, Cousins, and even Newton were often seen as "acceptable," and above average...good enough to get you to the post season, but unlikely to ever get much further, while others such as Tyrod, Keenum, and Foles are seen as bridge players, solid backups, or future journeymen, but not someone you want as the face of the franchise. However, Wilson & Luck both have proven to be franchise-type guys, but due to circumstances outside of their control haven't reached levels of success in recent years that they had early in their careers.

3a) And the final group...the baby faced men who are supposed to be the future of the league. This is obviously the most volatile bunch, with many of the non-rookies having had great success already, but also terrible lows. Carr took the Raiders to the playoffs having a fantastic season before getting injured. Bortles lead his team to the AFC Championship. Now Mahomes is playing at an MVP level in his first games starting. You definitely have some standouts, but it's hard to predict if 10 of these guys coming close to the careers of the 10 guys in group 1. If I had to pick any, I'd guess:  Goff, Wentz, Mahomes, Watson, Mayfield, and Trubisky, with Darnold & Carr being the next most likely (however, I see Carr having a Carson Palmer-esque career). 

3b) This rookie class was seen as one of the best in years, but considering the franchises they went to, it'd be nothing short of historic to have the Cardinals, Bills, Jets & Browns all find 10-15 year franchise QB's at once. If any draft class seems to likely to yield a trio of quality starters, last year's seems a solid bet with Mahomes, Watson & Trubisky. On the flipside, the highly touted duo of Mariotta & Winston has also kind of been a let down. There's been flashes from both, but considering where people envisioned them to be at this point, I think they've fallen short (especially Winston). Rosen is smart, accurate and has talent, but how high is his ceiling? Allen is a huge question mark, as he'll need to do things he's never been able to do before, only this time at the highest level, in order to be successful.

The early grades are in for this year's class from CBS:

* Mayfield A-

* Rosen C+

* Darnold D +

+ Allen D +

it wasn't pretty. 

"Stats: 55 of 103, (53.4% completion), 666 yards (6.5 yards per attempt) 2 TDs, 4 INTs, 63.8 QB Rating

Like Darnold, the times Allen has moved quickly from his first to his second read have been few and far between. Also like Darnold, Allen hasn't been comfortable moving away from any semblance of pressure inside the pocket. He too has been forced to throw with defenders -- and offensive linemen -- in his face due to a lack of pocket presence. All of that has led to a high amount of sacks, and Buffalo's offensive line has been average at its absolute best, particularly against the blitz. He's dealt with plenty of drops as well. Allen's proven to be a commodity as a runner, both on scrambled and designed plays.

He's had a handful of clear-cut misfires but when kept clean and when his initial read has gotten open quickly, Allen's thrown with major velocity and good accuracy without ball-placement problems. His pass-catching options are the worst of 2018's first-round quarterbacks who've started thus far, and he hasn't seen as many quickly open first-read targets as his signal-caller contemporaries. Also, what's likely a plan to accentuate his arm strength, the Bills' scheme has been mostly vertical based, and while Allen has taken many shots beyond 20 yards, there have been a couple of times he hasn't pulled the trigger downfield to give his receivers a chance to make play. 

Either way, given the offensive line, his shaky pocket presence, and current tendency to lock onto his first read, Allen would benefit from more quick-game elements in Buffalo's offense. In the second half against the Packers in Week 4, he was much more calm in the pocket and more decisive than in any other half of football I've seen him play at the NFL level, but Allen was not moving quickly to his second read.  "

28 minutes ago, Billsatlastin2018 said:

The early grades are in for this year's class from CBS:

* Mayfield A-

* Rosen C+

* Darnold D +

+ Allen D +

it wasn't pretty. 

"Stats: 55 of 103, (53.4% completion), 666 yards (6.5 yards per attempt) 2 TDs, 4 INTs, 63.8 QB Rating

Like Darnold, the times Allen has moved quickly from his first to his second read have been few and far between. Also like Darnold, Allen hasn't been comfortable moving away from any semblance of pressure inside the pocket. He too has been forced to throw with defenders -- and offensive linemen -- in his face due to a lack of pocket presence. All of that has led to a high amount of sacks, and Buffalo's offensive line has been average at its absolute best, particularly against the blitz. He's dealt with plenty of drops as well. Allen's proven to be a commodity as a runner, both on scrambled and designed plays.

He's had a handful of clear-cut misfires but when kept clean and when his initial read has gotten open quickly, Allen's thrown with major velocity and good accuracy without ball-placement problems. His pass-catching options are the worst of 2018's first-round quarterbacks who've started thus far, and he hasn't seen as many quickly open first-read targets as his signal-caller contemporaries. Also, what's likely a plan to accentuate his arm strength, the Bills' scheme has been mostly vertical based, and while Allen has taken many shots beyond 20 yards, there have been a couple of times he hasn't pulled the trigger downfield to give his receivers a chance to make play. 

Either way, given the offensive line, his shaky pocket presence, and current tendency to lock onto his first read, Allen would benefit from more quick-game elements in Buffalo's offense. In the second half against the Packers in Week 4, he was much more calm in the pocket and more decisive than in any other half of football I've seen him play at the NFL level, but Allen was not moving quickly to his second read.  "

Glad I'm not the only one that sees this. Gotta start working some bubble screens and quick outs into this offense. I understand that he has a big arm and they want to utilize that strength but that's a part of the play calling that opens up after you get teams to respect the short and intermediate routes. I mean I know the receivers are bad but the play calling isn't helping them one bit. No adjustment to the amount of blitzes we're seeing and no attempt to mitigate their effectiveness with quick throws and outside run plays. There's just a lot of inexperience on and off the field right now and it's tough to watch everyone trying to figure it out.

1 hour ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

honestly dude.  there is a thread on this.    I don't get your need  to post anywhere else because someone gave you a hard time.  

:doh: Honestly dude. I posted about this 19 hours ago on yesterday well before you created a thread on it.  Pathetic!

• Haha (+1) 1

On 9/25/2018 at 6:18 PM, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

The old guns are still killing it tho. DREW BREES SPUN 2 DEFENDERS for a 5 yard scramble.. what in the heck Falcons LBs. They honestly looked scared to knock the lights out of a 37 year old Quarterback past the LOS

Everyone's scared to hit a QB, no matter where they are on the field. Thanks, NFL.

Edited by ctk232