The Young Guns Have Arrived in the NFL !!

T master

Well, this past Sunday, Josh Allen surpassed both Rosen and Darnold in fantasy football ball points, so I'm going to win money on three FF draft day side bets. 

I threw out "Allen vs your pick of rookie QBs"...two guys picked Rosen, one picked Darnold. No one picked Mayfield, lol.

Everyone in the room heckled me, but I will sure rub it in their noses if the trend continues!!!

Edit; Full disclosure: I drafted Allen with the final pick (mr irrelavant) in one league and not at all in the other, and I only started him once, so far. 

Edited by BUFFALOKIE

It's just the sense I get watching him that anything can happen.  He has the potential to be the most exciting QB in the league.  He can make all the passes and his physical running capabilities are at an elite level and his ability to improvise are exhilarating.   

I have no doubt he'll still have a couple stinkers but he gives me a lot of hope.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Worth saying given the talk about Josh running that if you rank them purely on their PFF passing grade Allen still ranks 2nd. The only switch in the order is Rosen ranks 3rd and Lamar 4th. 

yeah I know its difficult but I am trying very hard to leave Josh Allen's running ability out of my comments about him.

Its a great weapon to have.....but to win ultimately you need to make plays throwing the ball....which is what I really want to see progress.

2 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

yeah I know its difficult but I am trying very hard to leave Josh Allen's running ability out of my comments about him.

It's a great weapon to have.....but to win ultimately you need to make plays throwing the ball....which is what I really want to see progress.

I bet he'll make more plays throwing the ball, when he has some guys that can do the little things like, you know, catch the ball.:beer:  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Its a great weapon to have.....but to win ultimately you need to make plays throwing the ball....which is what I really want to see progress.

Normally I agree with you. I don't want to see my QB take off all the time. This past Sunday, however, I was really pleased with how/when Allen decided to take off.

He'd make a simple read of the DEs and the moment they overcommitted and were behind him he'd quickly move into the gap they left and gain easy yards. Why on earth their DEs kept making the same mistake all game I have no idea, but Allen did a good job making them pay for it.

The ramifications of this should be that the DEs the Bills face in the coming weeks aren't going to be able to pin their ears back. They are going to have to keep their gap integrity even during passing plays. This should result in Allen getting a little extra time to find WRs down field.

• 2 weeks later...

Nick Mullens was an undrafted free agent who was signed by the 49ers last year, but he never made it to the club’s official roster for the 2017 season. He was cut before the start of the 2017 season, and then cut again before the start of the 2018 season. Then, after Jimmy Garoppolo tore his ACL, the 49ers brought Mullens up to the active roster. He sat behind C.J. Beathard until a wrist injury knocked him out of the lineup, vaulting Mullens into an unlikely starting role.  Since then, he’s been a remarkable find: you would expect an undrafted free agent to operate at replacement level, but Mullens has actually been an above-average starting quarterback.

And he’s been the best rookie quarterback this season, in a year where five first round quarterbacks are playing. Your first question might be: is Mullens actually a rookie? The answer is clearly yes: he is on a contract that pays $480,000 per year, which is the rookie minimum; if he was treated as a second-year player, the CBA would mandate that he receive no less than $555,000 this season. Instead he is on a contract that mirrors what 2018 UDFA rookies are seeing.  He’s also the same age as Baker Mayfield; both graduated from high school in 2013 and played four years in college; the difference is Mullens graduated in ’17 and was on a practice squad last year, while Mayfield transferred in 2014 and sat out that season. But since Mullens wasn’t on an active roster last year, this is obviously his first season in the NFL, which I think makes him a rookie for just about every purpose.1

The guy got to go through training camp and was on a practice squad last year. He’s a rookie the same way a redshirt freshman is a freshman - in name only.

That being said, they’ve done a great job in SF of coaching up their QBs. Mullen’s has been a surprise.

• Like (+1) 2

• 2 weeks later...

TWEET ELABORATION

We could do 800 words on each player, but let’s save it for the offseason and settle for essentially expanded tweets on each guy:

5. Josh Allen: Everything we saw at Wyoming, we’ve seen in Buffalo: fantastic arm strength, sneaky mobility and occasionally erratic ball placement. What we didn’t know is how comfortable Allen would be reading an NFL field. He ran a “pro style” system at Wyoming, but that means less and less as the NFL and college games continue to merge. Though he’s gotten better down the stretch, for much of this season Allen has looked much too wide-eyed.

4. Lamar Jackson: The jury is out because we don’t yet know what he is as a passer. As of right now, it’s presumably “not much,” judging by Baltimore’s run-intensive play-calling. But stay tuned; the Ravens have obviously had a ton of success building around Jackson’s legs, and it will be fascinating to see how (and when) the offense expands from there.

3. Sam Darnold: He’s made a lot of mistakes, but few of them twice. What’s disheartening is the 2018 Jets never carved out a clear offensive identity around him.

2. Josh Rosen: He was better in his first few starts, before Arizona’s already subpar O-line fell apart, its so-so receiving corps regressed (and lost impressive rookie Christian Kirk), and a change was made at offensive coordinator. Yes, replacing OC Mike McCoy with Byron Leftwich will likely be good for Rosen’s big-picture growth, but the system change that comes with it is difficult to implement on the fly. When Rosen is comfortable, his precision accuracy is among the best in the league. That’s enough to make his long-term outlook bright.

1. Baker Mayfield: He has played with better arm strength and athleticism than expected because he quarterbacks so decisively. The “I don’t care what anybody thinks” attitude has created a fearlessness in how he attacks downfield.

3 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

TWEET ELABORATION

We could do 800 words on each player, but let’s save it for the offseason and settle for essentially expanded tweets on each guy:

5. Josh Allen: Everything we saw at Wyoming, we’ve seen in Buffalo: fantastic arm strength, sneaky mobility and occasionally erratic ball placement. What we didn’t know is how comfortable Allen would be reading an NFL field. He ran a “pro style” system at Wyoming, but that means less and less as the NFL and college games continue to merge. Though he’s gotten better down the stretch, for much of this season Allen has looked much too wide-eyed.

4. Lamar Jackson: The jury is out because we don’t yet know what he is as a passer. As of right now, it’s presumably “not much,” judging by Baltimore’s run-intensive play-calling. But stay tuned; the Ravens have obviously had a ton of success building around Jackson’s legs, and it will be fascinating to see how (and when) the offense expands from there.

3. Sam Darnold: He’s made a lot of mistakes, but few of them twice. What’s disheartening is the 2018 Jets never carved out a clear offensive identity around him.

2. Josh Rosen: He was better in his first few starts, before Arizona’s already subpar O-line fell apart, its so-so receiving corps regressed (and lost impressive rookie Christian Kirk), and a change was made at offensive coordinator. Yes, replacing OC Mike McCoy with Byron Leftwich will likely be good for Rosen’s big-picture growth, but the system change that comes with it is difficult to implement on the fly. When Rosen is comfortable, his precision accuracy is among the best in the league. That’s enough to make his long-term outlook bright.

1. Baker Mayfield: He has played with better arm strength and athleticism than expected because he quarterbacks so decisively. The “I don’t care what anybody thinks” attitude has created a fearlessness in how he attacks downfield.

Reading just the words, and ignoreing the numbers next to the names, I’m not entirely sure how Allen gets to 5th. 

15 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Reading just the words, and ignoreing the numbers next to the names, I’m not entirely sure how Allen gets to 5th. 

His numbers definitely make no sense. At 4 he places a guy that can't be judged on passing lol. He would've been better off giving his short descriptions in order of the draft. 

The establishment of new stars, or the emergence of players we thought we already had pegged, may be the best part of watching the NFL on a weekly basis. Here are five names to keep an eye on for 2019, if you're not already. 

LAMAR JACKSON, QUARTERBACK, BALTIMORE RAVENS

An offseason spent building something genuine around Baltimore’s 2018 first-round pick could yield some major dividends. We saw the momentary spark he provided the Ravens in Joe Flacco’s absence with a scheme that was largely smashed together on the fly by offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg. This offseason, the Ravens’ new general manager, Eric DeCosta, will take over possibly with a new head coach and new offensive coordinator. They can focus on complementary pieces for Jackson and a quarterback whisperer who can continue to assist Jackson in ironing out his game. That being said, the uphill climb to get him on the field was not nearly as high as initially expected at this point a year ago. 

SAM DARNOLD, QUARTERBACK, NEW YORK JETS

Along those lines, the Jets will almost certainly scour the coaching market for someone who has a reputation of developing young passers. The team has a nice defensive core in place, but lacks weapons on the outside and a dependable, heart-of-the-backfield type running back. Recognizing that the best time to win a Super Bowl is during a quarterback’s rookie contract, expect the Jets to spend lavishly this offseason to pad the runway for their new coaching hire.