The Young Guns Have Arrived in the NFL !!

T master

32 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

I dont care about what the media says, Allen's physical attributes are throw the roof, might have the strongest arm EVER but he has absolute issues with accuracy and consistency, if he cant fix those he could be at the bottom. If he does, with his physical ability he could easily be the best of them all.

what's funny is through two games ( I know small sample size) his accuracy and consistency have not been the problem.  Drops by WRs getting hit in the bread basket and the hands have been the issue.  He has been putting the ball on the money.   

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Soda Popinski said:

what's funny is through two games ( I know small sample size) his accuracy and consistency have not been the problem.  Drops by WRs getting hit in the bread basket and the hands have been the issue.  He has been putting the ball on the money.   

That is true, but he has made a few really bad throws but overall i am greatly relieved about his accuracy thus far, still early of course. He needs a lot of work on short/touch passes.  And PFF stated Allen had the most incompletions for catchable balls in the NFL thus far.  Nice tools they gave the rookie to work with.

1 minute ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

That is true, but he has made a few really bad throws but overall i am greatly relieved about his accuracy thus far, still early of course. He needs a lot of work on short/touch passes.  And PFF stated Allen had the most incompletions for catchable balls in the NFL thus far.  Nice tools they gave the rookie to work with.

And the issue has been diagnosing a play.  He did not see things well in the Chargers game...But in the Vikes he did; I assume that is because of good coaching that focused on a smaller set of plays and asked him to look for specific things in the play and he did well as Minny played into Dabolls hands.

That won't be the same against Green Bay. They will test the young QB with something unexpected based on the game film they saw against Minnesota...Hopefully Daboll will be ready.  This season comes to how Daboll prepares Allen to succed!!!

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/26/2018 at 2:23 AM, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

I think Mason Rudolph has a bright future in Pittsburgh when Big Ben calls it quits which is coming soon imo. I didn't like him at all this year especially in the 1st round but he looked really good in preseason, looks like the next heir apparent. 

Taking nothing away from Rudolph, but Big Ben is one helluva tough act to follow to say the least. Like the old saying goes, sometimes it's better to be the guy who replaces the guy who replaced the legend. 

1 minute ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

the important thing is he sees the right things and identifies the right things to do with the football.   He's going to have an errant pass here and there, i'm not worried about that.   Right now these reps are really helping him develop.   If we win 5 more games I'll be surprised.   

Just keep in mind Wentz went 7-9 his rookie season with a 79QB rating and threw more interceptions than touchdowns.   Goff's rookie year he looked like a dumpster fire.    

If Allen struggles this year IMO it's just part of the learning curve. 

• Like (+1) 1

Its funny. 

There was an entire generation of QBs drafted during the Brady/Manning/Roethlisberger/Brees heyday, but the changing (or advancing) of the guard did not happen then. It only seems to be happening now.

Part of it is that that Brady/Manning generation is finally fading out, yes, but a bigger part of it seems to be that the NFL finally figured out how to use rookie QBs. For years we kept hearing how college football was no longer adequately preparing quarterbacks for the NFL. As such, QB after QB was drafted and flamed out quickly. Now, all of a sudden, the NFL has figured out "wait a minute, we can just incorporate college concepts that these guys already know how to execute!!!". Lo and behold, we're seeing more and more success from young QBs.

That being said, the prospect of an AFC dominated b Mahomes, Mayfield, Allen, Darnold, Mariota, Luck, etc....is pretty cool. The times, they are a changin!

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Soda Popinski said:

the important thing is he sees the right things and identifies the right things to do with the football.   He's going to have an errant pass here and there, i'm not worried about that.   Right now these reps are really helping him develop.   If we win 5 more games I'll be surprised.   

Just keep in mind Wentz went 7-9 his rookie season with a 79QB rating and threw more interceptions than touchdowns.   Goff's rookie year he looked like a dumpster fire.    

If Allen struggles this year IMO it's just part of the learning curve. 

Bills fans won't accept a learning curve. They demand immediate perfection.

It's been a solid steady flow of good young QB's into the league since 2011. 

2011- Cam Newton, Andy Dalton, and Tyrod (Cam is a top 10 QB with top 5 potential, Dalton is a pretty good QB, and Tyord a competent QB)

2012- Russell Wilson, Andrew Luck, Tannehill, and Kirk Cousins (Wilson is a legit top 10 QB borderline top 5, Luck is beaten up but he was elite for a few years while Tannehill and Cousins have emerged as a starting caliber QB's) Nick Foles was also in this draft class.

2013- Busts, seriously one of the worst draft classes of all time.

2014- Derrick Carr and Jimmy G (Carr is a pretty good QB and Jimmy G flashed potential but sadly got hurt)

2015- Winston and Mariota (Both have top 10 potential but Winston's off field issues have hampered him and injuries have hampered Mariota.)

2016- Goff, Wentz, and Dak (Goff and Wentz are top 10 if not top 5 QB's and Dak could still be a decent QB.)

2017- Trubinsky, Mahomes, and Watson (Mahomes is lighting the league on fire, Watson light the world on fire last year, and Trubinsky well he will keep getting starts to turn it around.)

2018- Mayfield, Allen, Darnold, Rosen, and Jackson (5 legit QB prospects.)

I feel like from 2006-2010 there was a big dry spell for QB's. The only real notable QB's to emerge were Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco, and Matthew Stafford. 06, 07, and 10 were particularly bad drafts that produced no notable QB's.  

12 hours ago, Logic said:

Its funny. 

There was an entire generation of QBs drafted during the Brady/Manning/Roethlisberger/Brees heyday, but the changing (or advancing) of the guard did not happen then. It only seems to be happening now.

Part of it is that that Brady/Manning generation is finally fading out, yes, but a bigger part of it seems to be that the NFL finally figured out how to use rookie QBs. For years we kept hearing how college football was no longer adequately preparing quarterbacks for the NFL. As such, QB after QB was drafted and flamed out quickly. Now, all of a sudden, the NFL has figured out "wait a minute, we can just incorporate college concepts that these guys already know how to execute!!!". Lo and behold, we're seeing more and more success from young QBs.

That being said, the prospect of an AFC dominated b Mahomes, Mayfield, Allen, Darnold, Mariota, Luck, etc....is pretty cool. The times, they are a changin!

To be fair, QBs always seems to come in groups for whatever reason. Kelly, Marino, Elway, Young all came about the same time, then not a whole lot outside of Farve for most of the 90s, then another explosion of QBs in the late 90s/Early 20s with the two Mannings, Brady, Big Ben, Brees, Rivers, and Rodgers, then a few here and there since then.

We seem to have found a hopefully decent QB at the right time

12 hours ago, Logic said:

Its funny. 

From 2006 to 2010 the only notable young QB's that came into the league were Matt Ryan, Matthew Stafford, and Joe Flacco. I would argue that only Ryan is really an elite player out of the 3. That's 5 consecutive draft classes with a subpar influx of QB's into the league. That's certainly going to help those older QB's seem at the top of the league longer. 

21 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

I dont care about what the media says, Allen's physical attributes are throw the roof, might have the strongest arm EVER but he has absolute issues with accuracy and consistency, if he cant fix those he could be at the bottom. If he does, with his physical ability he could easily be the best of them all.

he looked pretty accurate last week, especially his ball placement on the short throws. they were perfectly placed to allow yac. apparently, he is improving and to show that much improvement over a week of practice, i'm confident those longer passes will hit the mark as well. i'm looking forward to notable improvement each and every week.

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/25/2018 at 8:41 PM, wppete said:

This years QBs class could be one of the best we have seen in a very long time. 

Just look at the average QB rating now and what it was 20 or 30 years ago. The rule changes have made it too easy for QBs. I don’t think anyone will be able to accurately compare these young guys with the older generations.

This isn’t the NFL anymore, it’s pinball. Everyone gets a high score. 

1 hour ago, billsredneck1 said:

he looked pretty accurate last week, especially his ball placement on the short throws. they were perfectly placed to allow yac. apparently, he is improving and to show that much improvement over a week of practice, i'm confident those longer passes will hit the mark as well. i'm looking forward to notable improvement each and every week.

I  agree but I am certain there are going to be a few games where he looks real real bad, the nature of being a rookie so if that happens I wont panic.  He has a lot of muscle memory with poor technique so under pressure wont be shocked if it returns for a shorter period of time.  He is going to see some defensive schemes/coverage he has never encountered before.  This week will be a good test with Pettine as opposing DC.

7 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

I  agree but I am certain there are going to be a few games where he looks real real bad, the nature of being a rookie so if that happens I wont panic.  He has a lot of muscle memory with poor technique so under pressure wont be shocked if it returns for a shorter period of time.  He is going to see some defensive schemes/coverage he has never encountered before.  This week will be a good test with Pettine as opposing DC.

i agree about pettine and the schemes, but i'm getting a gut feeling about this kid.

i think his desire to win may be enough to will this team to wins and overcome any hiccups during games. can't wait til sunday!

hell, kelly came back from throwing 3-4 picks in a half.....if memory serves me at all.

this kid has never say die in him and i am stoked.

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/26/2018 at 10:18 AM, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

The old guns are still killing it tho. DREW BREES SPUN 2 DEFENDERS for a 5 yard scramble.. what in the heck Falcons LBs. They honestly looked scared to knock the lights out of a 37 year old Quarterback past the LOS

This doesn't happen 5 years ago, maybe not even 3 years ago. If they treated Brees like a ball carrier (which he was) it would have more than likely been a 15 yarder along with a possible ejection for playing defense. They were scared to make the play. I don't believe for a second that a near 40 year old who wasn't all that fast in his prime was able to juke two defenders half his age. 

Drew knew he screwed up big time. If it wasn't game on the line he definitely would have toppled at the first touch. Dude must have been terrified. And the LBs thought touching him would drop him. Good god. That's a huge rivalry, I'd be furious if our linebacker didn't salivate at Tom Brady accidentally running past LOS scrambling confused and begging to get knocked down harder than Nate Clements did to him. Hero to zero