New media focus after W3...

eball

One example of a weird media bias I found pretty obvious:

Look at the stats for Darnold's win agains the Lions... "The next Jets superstar QB."

16/21   198yd    76.2%  9.43avg  long:41yd       2TD      1INT (pick 6)       -1 rush yd     0 rush TD

Then look at Josh Allen from Sunday vs Vikings.... "meh, whatever its a Bills QB."

15/22   196yd   68.2%   8.91avg   long 55yd      1TD      0 INT       39 rush yd       2 rush TD

I don't get it

• Thank you (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, Eastcoastlegacy said:

One example of a weird media bias I found pretty obvious:

Look at the stats for Darnold's win agains the Lions... "The next Jets superstar QB."

16/21   198yd    76.2%  9.43avg  long:41yd       2TD      1INT (pick 6)       -1 rush yd     0 rush TD

Then look at Josh Allen from Sunday vs Vikings.... "meh, whatever its a Bills QB."

15/22   196yd   68.2%   8.91avg   long 55yd      1TD      0 INT       39 rush yd       2 rush TD

I don't get it

Except several large media outlets praised Allen, soooo I guess just make up whatever you want and get mad about it?

6 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

Except several large media outlets praised Allen, soooo I guess just make up whatever you want and get mad about it?

I guess its my blind rage that has left me as the only one with this misperception.

The most likely explanation is we already played the "hail a rookie QB the next best thing then watch him falter a bit" game this year, so media may have learned their lesson before overstating Allen's performance. However, I haven't seen any images on espn of Allen next to Kelly like I did of Darnold/Namath.  The reports I've seen drooled over that Darnold performance, and have given Allen luke-warm credit as a reason to be optimistic.

I could be completely wrong though.

1 minute ago, Eastcoastlegacy said:

I guess its my blind rage that has left me as the only one with this misperception.

The most likely explanation is we already played the "hail a rookie QB the next best thing then watch him falter a bit" game this year, so media may have learned their lesson before overstating Allen's performance. However, I haven't seen any images on espn of Allen next to Kelly like I did of Darnold/Namath.  The reports I've seen drooled over that Darnold performance, and have given Allen luke-warm credit as a reason to be optimistic.

I could be completely wrong though.

No, it's your group-think that's led you to this misconception.  Here's some examples:

SI.com article

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/09/23/josh-allen-hurdle-anthony-barr-bills-vikings

Rookie Josh Allen has racked up the highlights in the first half of the Bills' road matchup with the Vikings, leading the way as Buffalo took a 24-point lead over heavily-favored Minnesota at U.S. Bank Stadium. 

But no play was more impressive than Allen's impressive hurdle of Anthony Barr, looking like a natural track athlete as he dove forward for a first down. The first-round pick displayed prowess with both his arm and legs in the first quarter against Minnesota, throwing for 120 yards and a touchdown while adding 20 yards and two scores on the ground. 

CBSSports.com

https://www.cbssports.com/video/player/nfl/1328301635965/0/pete-prisco-discusses-josh-allens-impressive-performance-against-the-vikings

Prisco calls it a very impressive performance.

USAtoday.com

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/fantasy/2018/09/23/fantasy-football-rookies-josh-allen-calvin-ridley-week-3/1406067002/

The Buffalo Bills rode into Minnesota as 16 1/2-point underdogs, but no hurdle was too high for rookie quarterback Josh Allen to clear. 

Highlighted by an amazing leap he made over Vikings linebacker Anthony Barr, Allen directed the Bills to a stunning 27-6 victory. Although his passing numbers (15-for-22, 196 yards, TD) weren't overwhelming, Allen ran the ball 10 times for 39 yards and two scores against one of the most feared defenses in the league.

Deion Sanders calls him a hero

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-gameday-prime/0ap3000000965915/Josh-Allen-gets-the-call-from-Prime-after-first-NFL-win

So maybe, just maybe, we can not cry about the national media not being fair to Josh this week.

Until we consistently perform like the last 6 quarters versus the first 6 quarters of the year then this is to be expected. Personally I don't care what any of the media says at this point. I saw progression from Allen and against a vaunted Vikings defense. I saw progression from Edmunds and having coverage assignments against the best group he's seen all year. If this progression continues week in and week out then the narrative of the bobbleheads will change. 

I haven't heard any talk about what Allen did on Sunday as being "nothing special", or anything like that. It's been closer to the opposite actually (I don't use Twitter, though).

If anything, the "negative" talk has been about the idea that the Vikings may have been guilty of looking ahead to their game against probably the best team in football on the road on a short week, after tying a division game the week before, facing possibly the worst team in football with a rookie QB...legit if you ask me. But it's not as if they're downplaying what the Bills did Sunday. It's just that, from a league ramification/importance POV for this year, the Vikings losing this game, the way they did, was a bigger deal/story than the Bills winning was. Any time the much-more inferior team wins a game, most of the chatter is about whether or not we should be concerned about the superior team.

But as far as irrational media Bills "hate" goes, I'm still waiting for someone to come out and say, "Oh...so that's why the Bills traded away the QB that took them to the playoffs for the first time this century" (referring to TT's pitiful first half against the Jets on TNF). That was the Bills story that everyone in the national media seemed to criticise the most this past offseason; a lot of "What are the Bills doing" was thrown around. Granted that TNF game was easily his worst as a professional, but it was pretty much a short compilation of what his time in Buffalo consisted of, minus the occasional but not consistent "wow" plays. 

Edited by Drunken Pygmy Goat

9 hours ago, Johnnycage46 said:

Agreed.  I'm sure this thread will get a lot of "who cares what anyone else thinks" or "if the Bills string some wins they will be taken seriously".  But I do feel there is a strange view of the Bills in the media.  They make the playoffs last year and while it was talked about and generally positive it was NOT that big of a deal to the national media.  Fast forward to this year...the Browns win a game for the first time in 2 years and, while noteworthy, you would think they are Super Bowl favorites.

Browns have a top 5 defense

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BringBackOrton said:

No, it's your group-think that's led you to this misconception.  Here's some examples:

SI.com article

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/09/23/josh-allen-hurdle-anthony-barr-bills-vikings

Rookie Josh Allen has racked up the highlights in the first half of the Bills' road matchup with the Vikings, leading the way as Buffalo took a 24-point lead over heavily-favored Minnesota at U.S. Bank Stadium. 

But no play was more impressive than Allen's impressive hurdle of Anthony Barr, looking like a natural track athlete as he dove forward for a first down. The first-round pick displayed prowess with both his arm and legs in the first quarter against Minnesota, throwing for 120 yards and a touchdown while adding 20 yards and two scores on the ground. 

CBSSports.com

https://www.cbssports.com/video/player/nfl/1328301635965/0/pete-prisco-discusses-josh-allens-impressive-performance-against-the-vikings

Prisco calls it a very impressive performance.

USAtoday.com

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/fantasy/2018/09/23/fantasy-football-rookies-josh-allen-calvin-ridley-week-3/1406067002/

The Buffalo Bills rode into Minnesota as 16 1/2-point underdogs, but no hurdle was too high for rookie quarterback Josh Allen to clear. 

Highlighted by an amazing leap he made over Vikings linebacker Anthony Barr, Allen directed the Bills to a stunning 27-6 victory. Although his passing numbers (15-for-22, 196 yards, TD) weren't overwhelming, Allen ran the ball 10 times for 39 yards and two scores against one of the most feared defenses in the league.

Deion Sanders calls him a hero

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-gameday-prime/0ap3000000965915/Josh-Allen-gets-the-call-from-Prime-after-first-NFL-win

So maybe, just maybe, we can not cry about the national media not being fair to Josh this week.

He's also the top play of the week on Sportscenter

44 minutes ago, GoodHands15 said:

Browns have a top 5 defense

Ok....and?  The point is:  bias.  I get that you are a Browns fan and if I was too I would be pumped with their win as well but there is no doubt that the media ***** on the Bills.

5 hours ago, BringBackOrton said:

Are you mad?  Do you seriously want Orton back?  You clearly think Allen is NOT the answer if you want Orton back.