Jump to content
eball

New media focus after W3...

Recommended Posts

1.  The Vikings aren't really that good.

2.  Josh Allen didn't do anything special, he just dumped the ball off and ran rather than staying in the pocket to throw.

 

I've already seen both of these bandied about on Twitter.  Never fails.

 

The Bills need to go to Lambeau and punch the Packers in the mouths too.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The lead into the game covered the scenario where the Vikings could struggle because it had potential to be a “trap game”. The Bills were so bad the first two weeks this should be expected.

 

If they stomp GB then the narrative will change. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, eball said:

1.  The Vikings aren't really that good.

2.  Josh Allen didn't do anything special, he just dumped the ball off and ran rather than staying in the pocket to throw.

 

I've already seen both of these bandied about on Twitter.  Never fails.

 

The Bills need to go to Lambeau and punch the Packers in the mouths too.

 

Agreed.  I'm sure this thread will get a lot of "who cares what anyone else thinks" or "if the Bills string some wins they will be taken seriously".  But I do feel there is a strange view of the Bills in the media.  They make the playoffs last year and while it was talked about and generally positive it was NOT that big of a deal to the national media.  Fast forward to this year...the Browns win a game for the first time in 2 years and, while noteworthy, you would think they are Super Bowl favorites.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, eball said:

1.  The Vikings aren't really that good.

2.  Josh Allen didn't do anything special, he just dumped the ball off and ran rather than staying in the pocket to throw.

 

I've already seen both of these bandied about on Twitter.  Never fails.

 

The Bills need to go to Lambeau and punch the Packers in the mouths too.

 

Who does he have to hurdle this week? Matthews? 

 

Seriously though, he threw the ball pretty damn well the entire first half. Twitter blows. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally, this only fuels the team.  Let them be underdogs the entire year.  The line did move from game day 4.5 points, still at 10.  Lets punch GB in the mouth

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Johnnycage46 said:

 

Agreed.  I'm sure this thread will get a lot of "who cares what anyone else thinks" or "if the Bills string some wins they will be taken seriously".  But I do feel there is a strange view of the Bills in the media.  They make the playoffs last year and while it was talked about and generally positive it was NOT that big of a deal to the national media.  Fast forward to this year...the Browns win a game for the first time in 2 years and, while noteworthy, you would think they are Super Bowl favorites.

 

It's because backing into the playoff's is not that big of deal...  Teams do it every year and it's usually a non event because they lose the first game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, eball said:

1.  The Vikings aren't really that good.

2.  Josh Allen didn't do anything special, he just dumped the ball off and ran rather than staying in the pocket to throw.

 

I've already seen both of these bandied about on Twitter.  Never fails.

 

The Bills need to go to Lambeau and punch the Packers in the mouths too.

On the other hand, we have topics like this:

 

So it's probably a wash.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, eball said:

1.  The Vikings aren't really that good.

2.  Josh Allen didn't do anything special, he just dumped the ball off and ran rather than staying in the pocket to throw.

 

I've already seen both of these bandied about on Twitter.  Never fails.

 

The Bills need to go to Lambeau and punch the Packers in the mouths too.

I don’t know - I am sure there are plenty of people out there (especially on twitter) promoting your 2nd point above, but I’ve seen a lot of genuine praise for Allen as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, PeterDude said:

 

It's because backing into the playoff's is not that big of deal...  Teams do it every year and it's usually a non event because they lose the first game.

Stop with this BS narrative.  There was no backing in.  They earned their spot.  They went into Atlanta and Kansas City and beat both teams on the road.  They overcame a horrid 3-game stretch and could have quit, but didn't.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

The lead into the game covered the scenario where the Vikings could struggle because it had potential to be a “trap game”. The Bills were so bad the first two weeks this should be expected.

 

If they stomp GB then the narrative will change. 

 

No, they are going to need to beat afc contenders to really look like they are something. Win week 5 and we may have something. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

Stop with this BS narrative.  There was no backing in.  They earned their spot.  They went into Atlanta and Kansas City and beat both teams on the road.  They overcame a horrid 3-game stretch and could have quit, but didn't.  

 

But most NFL fans don't really care, hence the reason they got no real national media attention from it other than the Andy Dalton donation stuff.  How many Bills fans give a crap about some NFC team backing into the playoff's and losing right away?  I bet not many...

 

Seriously, Bills fans need to stop whining about the lack of positive national media attention.  Most NFL fans do not give a **** about Buffalo.  

Edited by PeterDude
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, PeterDude said:

 

It's because backing into the playoff's is not that big of deal...  Teams do it every year and it's usually a non event because they lose the first game.

 

5 minutes ago, PeterDude said:

 

But most NFL fans don't really care, hence the reason they got no real national media attention from it other than the Andy Dalton donation stuff.  How many Bills fans give a crap about some NFC team backing into the playoff's and losing right away?  I bet not many...

 

Oh god, the "backing into the playoffs" thing again.  Winning enough games to get in to the playoffs is not backing in.  There is no such thing as backing in.  Just "in".  Would you be happier had they NOT made the playoffs just so you could say "well at least they didn't back in"?  

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, PeterDude said:

 

But most NFL fans don't really care, hence the reason they got no real national media attention from it other than the Andy Dalton donation stuff.  How many Bills fans give a crap about some NFC team backing into the playoff's and losing right away?  I bet not many...

 

Seriously, Bills fans need to stop whining about the lack of positive national media attention.  Most NFL fans do not give a **** about Buffalo.  

 

Well, sometimes fans like to vent on their Bill's board, that's one of the services the Board provides----it gives fans a release.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, 1st&ten said:

 

Well, sometimes fans like to vent on their Bill's board, that's one of the services the Board provides----it gives fans a release.

 

Well, that makes sense I suppose.  Thier venting might get some pushback however, which is also ok.

Edited by PeterDude
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, eball said:

1.  The Vikings aren't really that good.

2.  Josh Allen didn't do anything special, he just dumped the ball off and ran rather than staying in the pocket to throw.

 

I've already seen both of these bandied about on Twitter.  Never fails.

 

The Bills need to go to Lambeau and punch the Packers in the mouths too.

Funny. When Allen does it it's not a good look.

 

However Tom Brady has made a LIVING with dumpoff passes to backs, Slot receiver screen, bubble screens and "taking what defenses give him" and hes God.

 

Darnold in his 1st game did much the same and media crowned him.

 

Haven't watched the All 22, but looked on Sunday Allen took what was there. When nothing was there he was decisive and got what he could with his legs, including extending drives and getting the team back to FG range. Situational football.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Vikings are a good team, but I would not consider them favorites to be in the SB.  Their defense, while good and the strength of the team, is not good enough...yet.  Cousins needs to still needs to shoulder some of the load, and I don't think he's good enough to do so.

 

Josh Allen did a great job of running the offense, especially for a rookie making his first start.  Twitter, the media, pundits, etc shrugging his performance off is just wrong.

 

The team needs to go into GB and punch the Packers in the mouth.  A statement win will quiet a lot of detractors down.  I would expect Josh Allen to have a good day against the Packer defense, but Clay Matthews will need to be accounted for - can't let him run loose at the QB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The media and so called experts really don't want to admit they were at least a little wrong when it comes to their evaluation of Josh Allen.  It's almost disturbing to hear them all talk hours on end about Baker Mayfield or Sam Darnold but when Allen is mentioned they just laugh. 

Everytime the kid does something good I can't help but feel good for him.  Prove them ALL wrong Josh..... DO IT!  

Edited by Mark92

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Who gives a rat's behind about some Twitter feed.  If you liked what you saw on Sunday, enjoy it.  Don't let some hack looking for clicks on Monday kill your buzz!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Philo Beddoe said:

 

Who does he have to hurdle this week? Matthews? 

 

 

And he'll be flagged for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Geoff Schwartz on Twitter arguing he didn't do anything special. Just a bunch of screens, dump offs, quick passes and oh he made a few plays with his legs. Nothing special.

 

Let one of those screen passes have been inaccurate and there'd be a tweet with the caption, "Same old Josh Allen..."

 

There's a lot of guys who are honest e v a l guys like Bruglar, Orvolsky, Silva and then there are guys like Kascmar, Ledyard, Klassen, Schwartz, Sherman and Tanier who just want the kid to fail and are there to get reactions out of the Bills fan base.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One example of a weird media bias I found pretty obvious:

 

Look at the stats for Darnold's win agains the Lions... "The next Jets superstar QB."

16/21   198yd    76.2%  9.43avg  long:41yd       2TD      1INT (pick 6)       -1 rush yd     0 rush TD

 

Then look at Josh Allen from Sunday vs Vikings.... "meh, whatever its a Bills QB."

15/22   196yd   68.2%   8.91avg   long 55yd      1TD      0 INT       39 rush yd       2 rush TD

 

I don't get it

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Eastcoastlegacy said:

One example of a weird media bias I found pretty obvious:

 

Look at the stats for Darnold's win agains the Lions... "The next Jets superstar QB."

16/21   198yd    76.2%  9.43avg  long:41yd       2TD      1INT (pick 6)       -1 rush yd     0 rush TD

 

Then look at Josh Allen from Sunday vs Vikings.... "meh, whatever its a Bills QB."

15/22   196yd   68.2%   8.91avg   long 55yd      1TD      0 INT       39 rush yd       2 rush TD

 

I don't get it

Except several large media outlets praised Allen, soooo I guess just make up whatever you want and get mad about it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

Except several large media outlets praised Allen, soooo I guess just make up whatever you want and get mad about it?

 

I guess its my blind rage that has left me as the only one with this misperception.

 

The most likely explanation is we already played the "hail a rookie QB the next best thing then watch him falter a bit" game this year, so media may have learned their lesson before overstating Allen's performance. However, I haven't seen any images on espn of Allen next to Kelly like I did of Darnold/Namath.  The reports I've seen drooled over that Darnold performance, and have given Allen luke-warm credit as a reason to be optimistic.

 

I could be completely wrong though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Eastcoastlegacy said:

 

I guess its my blind rage that has left me as the only one with this misperception.

 

The most likely explanation is we already played the "hail a rookie QB the next best thing then watch him falter a bit" game this year, so media may have learned their lesson before overstating Allen's performance. However, I haven't seen any images on espn of Allen next to Kelly like I did of Darnold/Namath.  The reports I've seen drooled over that Darnold performance, and have given Allen luke-warm credit as a reason to be optimistic.

 

I could be completely wrong though.

No, it's your group-think that's led you to this misconception.  Here's some examples:

 

SI.com article

 

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/09/23/josh-allen-hurdle-anthony-barr-bills-vikings

 

Rookie Josh Allen has racked up the highlights in the first half of the Bills' road matchup with the Vikings, leading the way as Buffalo took a 24-point lead over heavily-favored Minnesota at U.S. Bank Stadium. 

But no play was more impressive than Allen's impressive hurdle of Anthony Barr, looking like a natural track athlete as he dove forward for a first down. The first-round pick displayed prowess with both his arm and legs in the first quarter against Minnesota, throwing for 120 yards and a touchdown while adding 20 yards and two scores on the ground. 

 

CBSSports.com

 

https://www.cbssports.com/video/player/nfl/1328301635965/0/pete-prisco-discusses-josh-allens-impressive-performance-against-the-vikings

 

Prisco calls it a very impressive performance.

 

USAtoday.com

 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/fantasy/2018/09/23/fantasy-football-rookies-josh-allen-calvin-ridley-week-3/1406067002/

 

The Buffalo Bills rode into Minnesota as 16 1/2-point underdogs, but no hurdle was too high for rookie quarterback Josh Allen to clear. 

Highlighted by an amazing leap he made over Vikings linebacker Anthony Barr, Allen directed the Bills to a stunning 27-6 victory. Although his passing numbers (15-for-22, 196 yards, TD) weren't overwhelming, Allen ran the ball 10 times for 39 yards and two scores against one of the most feared defenses in the league.

 

Deion Sanders calls him a hero

 

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-gameday-prime/0ap3000000965915/Josh-Allen-gets-the-call-from-Prime-after-first-NFL-win

 

 

So maybe, just maybe, we can not cry about the national media not being fair to Josh this week.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Until we consistently perform like the last 6 quarters versus the first 6 quarters of the year then this is to be expected. Personally I don't care what any of the media says at this point. I saw progression from Allen and against a vaunted Vikings defense. I saw progression from Edmunds and having coverage assignments against the best group he's seen all year. If this progression continues week in and week out then the narrative of the bobbleheads will change. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×