Vikings 2nd 1/2 - preseason feel. Why not take advantage?

eSJayDee

We went very conservative in the 2nd half & it resulted in 6 consecutive punts.  While I agree that is the prudent strategy through the 3rd quarter (if we can score 27 in a 1/2, they can score 28), once you know the game is in hand, say the start of the 4th, why not treat it as a practice/preseason game?

You've got a very inexperienced QB that certainly could use the learning opportunity.

4 minutes ago, eSJayDee said:

We went very conservative in the 2nd half & it resulted in 6 consecutive punts.  While I agree that is the prudent strategy through the 3rd quarter (if we can score 27 in a 1/2, they can score 28), once you know the game is in hand, say the start of the 4th, why not treat it as a practice/preseason game?

You've got a very inexperienced QB that certainly could use the learning opportunity.

I don't think treating any regular season game like a practice/preseason game is wise.  Run the clock.  Don't put your QB in harm's way unnecessarily and take home the win.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, eSJayDee said:

When losing, yes when winning you play it to win. 

No no need to keep the foot on the gas with a rookie QB, not the way the defense was playing 

I think you need to judge your strategy based on the feel of the game.  We stopped them with their first drive of the third quarter, which means there was even less urgency to throw it as much.  As the game progressed they still continued to be stymied and running the ball was the right thing to do considering the circumstances.

I was perfectly ok with it.

5 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I don't think treating any regular season game like a practice/preseason game is wise.  Run the clock.  Don't put your QB in harm's way unnecessarily and take home the win.

What that baseball head said ...  

Play it safe and don't take risks.   

You have a young QB that needs experience and forcing too much may not be worth it 

I was thinking the same thing during the 3rd quarter. The conservative approach made me nervous, because anything can happen.

My attitude changed as I saw how great our defense was playing. By the time the 4th quarter started I was not worried at all. The Vikings were not going to come back.

44 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Why risk your QB getting hurt?  If Minni had scored and got the game within a couple possessions, I suspect they would have re-opened the playbook.

Absolutely no need to run an aggressive offense up 27 points at the half.  Run the ball and chew up the clock.

Its called situational football 101

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, eSJayDee said:

Not meaning to state the obvious but he's learning how to win.

1 hour ago, eSJayDee said:

Also, scoring 28 in the 2nd half when your offense is more predictable is easier to defend, especially when you can keep your Safeties deep to protect against the long ball. It is *NOT* apples to apples

1 hour ago, eSJayDee said:

It was used. Have ti be able to execute even though they know whats coming. Trust the process.

Also consider who the opposing QB is, which was Kirk Cousins, and is probably not going to lead his offense back from a 27 point deficit.   I would hope McD wouldn't use the sit on the lead approach with a QB like Brees or Brady.