Penn State: Visiting advice for this weekend

SDS

5 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Hoping the Bills home opener is on the 8th. Would make a great weekend.

6 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

If you've never been to happy valley, you gotta go. Hell of a scene.

8 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

9/7/2019 UB plays at Penn State.

Somewhere else please.

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, SDS said:

It appears as though they do the tours every other weekend. Or maybe that i just the football schedule.

I'm trying to make some hay this weekend. Might go to VA Tech instead, but that is a longer drive.

Call admissions office and ask if they can accommodate you.  Sometimes the answer is "no"

Never know when you'll get lucky, though.  If your kid is willing for rural PA, any interest in Bucknell?

VA Tech is AWESOME.  My kid was dead-set on someplace colder than St Louis but we loved VA Tech as a school.  Def. worth a visit.

I can't give you gouge, but from the traffic we experienced in that part of the state when we drove through just before Little League World Series this August makes me think you might easily swallow the drive time difference in road delays

Luck!

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Call admissions office and ask if they can accommodate you.  Sometimes the answer is "no"

Never know when you'll get lucky, though.  If your kid is willing for rural PA, any interest in Bucknell?

VA Tech is AWESOME.  My kid was dead-set on someplace colder than St Louis but we loved VA Tech as a school.  Def. worth a visit.

Luck!

We are a University of Rochester family. If we went private it would be hard to go another route.

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Luck!

Should have look @ Lake Superior State University in The Soo or MTU (Michigan Technological University) in Houghton, MI.

Okay... Maybe NOT Pluto.  I wanted My son to get into mining and go to MTU or the one in Golden, CA... He went Bio... Yuck!

9 hours ago, SDS said:

It's boys weekend at my house and Penn State is on my son's short list. We have the opportunity to make a trip to a college this weekend and Penn State would typically be an easy drive.

The problem is OSU is in town Saturday. Clearly the place is going to be crazy, but should we avoid it? Embrace it? Just go Sunday and drive against traffic?

Any advice?

I regurally work on campus

Its ALWAYS crazy. Should be no different that week. Accomodations are not far away tho. Great spot for football. Its really fan friendly...byot

8 minutes ago, BuffAlone said:

I regurally work on campus

Its ALWAYS crazy. Should be no different that week. Accomodations are not far away tho. Great spot for football. Its really fan friendly...byot

Did You fix the showers?

I keed, I keed... Dank dank dank You... I will be here all week, try the veal!

?

11 hours ago, SDS said:

Any advice?

If you plan on leaving for UP on Sunday morning exercise some patience and don't set your alarm clock too early....Sunday's are a day of worship for the Amish and they will be out and about as early as sunrise.Also,that part of the state can get very foggy in the morning hours,especially in the fall,.travel safe and take it slow.

18 hours ago, Mr Info said:

Feel free to hit me up with any VA Tech questions. My son is a senior there.

Hokies @ Duke this weekend so no football traffic. 

Any chance he would be open to giving us a tour?

What is his major? My son is looking at Comp Sci (but is also interested in PT, but I advised him to get a different undergrad degree and then see if his interest in PT still exists in a few years).

Kind of late to the discussion.  Just curious as to the "mark up" being that your son is out of state in this instance.  I was accepted at Ohio State many years ago and liked the program but the out of state tuition fee was a deal breaker.  Especially, without a scholarship in hand.  Ultimately, I stayed in NY including two years at Cornell.

Just now, RochesterRob said:

Kind of late to the discussion.  Just curious as to the "mark up" being that your son is out of state in this instance.  I was accepted at Ohio State many years ago and liked the program but the out of state tuition fee was a deal breaker.  Especially, without a scholarship in hand.  Ultimately, I stayed in NY including two years at Cornell.

We have saved sufficiently to offer him a choice. I'm not overly concerned about the money if there are valid reasons to go out of state or private. I personally value the college experience above and beyond the degree aspect, so I'm not focused entirely on price.

On 9/25/2018 at 9:31 AM, SDS said:

He's a not a football kid. That's why I'm trying to gauge how much pain I'm looking at.

Picture the biggest Bills home game ever and then add 30,000 people. It will be PSU - OSU and nothing else. Literally the entire area will be nothing but that. They started camping out Monday.

I can’t speak to PSU specifically but when Alabama plays in Baton Rouge they estimate over 300,000 people are on campus that day. It can take an hour to drive a mile. For context, Baton Rouge has a population of 227,000. I’d imagine that you are looking at approximately 200,000 plus. 

Edited by Kirby Jackson

4 hours ago, SDS said:

Any chance he would be open to giving us a tour?

What is his major? My son is looking at Comp Sci (but is also interested in PT, but I advised him to get a different undergrad degree and then see if his interest in PT still exists in a few years).

Checking...will get back to you via PM. He is a Poly Sci major but started out in sciences. Hope he is available because he has a good personality/interaction as a guide.

From my perspective, VT had the best prospective student/parent presentation and tour of any university or college that we visited.

9 minutes ago, Mr Info said:

Checking...will get back to you via PM. He is a Poly Sci major but started out in sciences. Hope he is available because he has a good personality/interaction as a guide.

From my perspective, VT had the best prospective student/parent presentation and tour of any university or college that we visited.

Thank you for checking. We are still in the planning stages, but having someone available to show us around would be very helpful. We could always do an official tour later, but we are just looking to do something this weekend possibly.