Josh Allen nails the post-wheel concept

SouthNYfan

Sorry if this was already posted.

If it was, delete/merge me in.

Thought it was a cool article that explains not only the post-wheel concept play, but why it works, and how Allen botched it against the chargers, not looks like he corrected his mistakes.

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2018/9/24/17895882/buffalo-bills-film-room-josh-allen-post-wheel-concept-jason-croom-brian-daboll-analysis-touchdown

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Buffalo Bills film room: Josh Allen nails the post-wheel concept

The Buffalo Bills blew out the Minnesota Vikings on Sunday, but as they took an early lead, any confidence felt tenuous at best. An opening touchdown drive was impressive, but aided by two personal foul penalties, and a fumble recovery only led to three points. When the Bills recovered a second strip-sack, it felt like the only way they could keep the Vikings at bay would be to capitalize on the possession with another touchdown. And that’s just what Brian Daboll and Josh Allendelivered, with a pass to tight end Jason Croom.

Before running this play, the Bills had passed once to a running back in the flats, and had a receiver in the flats on three of their first five passing plays. As such, the Vikings were looking for that sort of movement, especially when the Bills fell behind schedule and would conceivably look to gain easy yardage on second-and-11. Minnesota, seeing Buffalo’s pre-snap motion, dialed up a Cover-3 “sky” look.

post_wheel.jpg

post_wheel__1_.jpg

:wub:

It's in the All-22 thread.

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

Thanks dude

I just saw it, was at work, didn't really have time to search, but thought it was pretty cool :)

It was a beautifully designed and executed play that was set up by what they had run previously.  The MIN defense 100% took the cheese before realizing it was too late to do anything about it.  Well done by Daboll and Allen who did a great job selling the screen. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz
  • Like (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

It was a beautifully designed and executed play that was set up by what they had run previously.  The MIN defense 100% took the cheese before realizing it was too late to do anything about it.  Well done by Daboll and Allen who did a great job selling the screen. 

Yeah, I loved it.

It was legit encouraging to see.

9 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Agreed.  It's the best game Dabol has called, by far.  The screens were a nice set-up and the pump fake was beautiful.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, BuffalothruMyVeins said:

While I am excited by what happened on Sunday, I refuse to fully get my hopes up until it is repeated. I won't fall for another Fitz-matic, Trentative, EJ-vs-Carolina moment. Show me his skills are there past the league adjusting to him, and I will start believing we're looking at someone long-term, here.

He's far more talented than Fitz or Edwards.

He looks much more natural and comfortable at QB than EJ ever did.

He looked decisive.

I'm not saying he's the goat, but what he has shown the last 6 quarters makes me think he's going to be a stud.

I wonder if the game slowed down a little bit for him. Accuracy on short throws is something he needed to work on. Even last week he missed a short throw, albeit on the run, to Murphy. Against the Vikings, everything was on target (minus the one deep ball). He hit guys in stride on swing passes, screens, and Croom on the wheel route. Just last week he almost missed a wide open DiMarco on a similar throw.

Hopefully he can continue to show that type of accuracy and decision making. 

Edited by elroy16
  • Like (+1) 1

Geoff Schwartz was unimpressed by the play, stating that all Allen did was hit a wide open guy on a well designed play.

Firstly, its quite obvious Allen did more than that. He sold the fake to the running back really well with a good pump fake and with his eye movement. He then delivered a catchable ball, placing it where it needed to be with soft touch.

But more importantly, that's the whole thing with Allen: Nobody questions whether or not he can make sensational, out-of-structure, improvisational plays. What people doubted was his ability to make routine throws, to take what the defense gives him, and to complete short passes accurately. So when he does simple things like complete swing passes and bubble screens, make routine throws, and change protections...THATS HUGE! If he can properly run an offense and make the routine throws, and then you combine that with his escapability, improvisational skill, and arm strength, you have a potentially great quarterback.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Soda Popinski said:

i like it, he gets better every week.  soon those deep passes will connect, if we can get wrs who can catch the ball...

Most teams like WR’s that catch.

The Bills are like, nah.

Im surprised they didn’t sign Breshad Perriman. He’d fit in nicely.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, BuffalothruMyVeins said:

While I am excited by what happened on Sunday, I refuse to fully get my hopes up until it is repeated. I won't fall for another Fitz-matic, Trentative, EJ-vs-Carolina moment. Show me his skills are there past the league adjusting to him, and I will start believing we're looking at someone long-term, here.

Well aren't you a ray of sunshine

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Logic said:

Geoff Schwartz was unimpressed by the play, stating that all Allen did was hit a wide open guy on a well designed play.

Firstly, its quite obvious Allen did more than that. He sold the fake to the running back really well with a good pump fake and with his eye movement. He then delivered a catchable ball, placing it where it needed to be with soft touch.

But more importantly, that's the whole thing with Allen: Nobody questions whether or not he can make sensational, out-of-structure, improvisational plays. What people doubted was his ability to make routine throws, to take what the defense gives him, and to complete short passes accurately. So when he does simple things like complete swing passes and bubble screens, make routine throws, and change protections...THATS HUGE! If he can properly run an offense and make the routine throws, and then you combine that with his escapability, improvisational skill, and arm strength, you have a potentially great quarterback.

Logic hittin'em with the logic.

Boom.

Headshot.

8 hours ago, Gugny said:

Agreed.  It's the best game Dabol has called, by far.  The screens were a nice set-up and the pump fake was beautiful.

I think the point of the article, is that Daboll was making the same call in Week 2 and Allen missed them.

This week, he hit.

I can't pull them right now, but I recall 2 other plays Sunday that I'm pretty sure I saw (or variants) in Week 2, where against the Chargers Allen had a guy doing jumping jacks or waving a signal flag "open!" "open".  In Minn, Allen found 'em on time and on target.  Part of the issue Week 2 was missed protections.

So far I do think Daboll called a better run game with blocking schemes closer to what our OL guys can actually execute.  That's the big improvement I see.

5 hours ago, Logic said:

BAM!  Exactly right.  No one doubts that Allen has a Howitzer.  What pundits doubted pre-draft - and with good reason - was Allen's ability to consistently "make the bunnies", hit wide-open guys on short passes.  To be fair, pundits now ought to give him full credit when he does just that.

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think the point of the article, is that Daboll was making the same call in Week 2 and Allen missed them.

This week, he hit.

I can't pull them right now, but I recall 2 other plays Sunday that I'm pretty sure I saw (or variants) in Week 2, where against the Chargers Allen had a guy doing jumping jacks or waving a signal flag "open!" "open".  In Minn, Allen found 'em on time and on target.  Part of the issue Week 2 was missed protections.

I don't recall the quick screens in Week 2, but I could easily be mistaken.  Either way, Allen was far more accurate, decisive and better with the touch passes vs. MIN than he was vs. SD.  And Daboll abandoned the run far too quickly vs. SD, IMO.