[Incomplete Title] Seven years ago today already..

Another Fan

26 minutes ago, Epstein's Mother said:

You must be one of those fans that consider the modern era to be post Super Bowl run.  

Bills 41  Oilers 38   F-OT   Period ... Exclamation point.

I still consider 51-3 the greatest game experience I ever had

• Like (+1) 7

8 minutes ago, stevewin said:

8 minutes ago, Clyde Smith said:

Bills vs Raiders 51-3, one of the best Bills game I have witnessed. I was in Bootcamp during the comeback game.

I agree.  The game aside, watching the Raiders fans stream out of Rich at halftime was worth the price of admission.

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Epstein's Mother said:

You must be one of those fans that consider the modern era to be post Super Bowl run.  

Bills 41  Oilers 38   F-OT   Period ... Exclamation point.

I actually consider "modern era" to be about 2002, when Houston came in and the current alignment was instituted.

23 minutes ago, Clyde Smith said:

Bills vs Raiders 51-3, one of the best Bills game I have witnessed. I was in Bootcamp during the comeback game.

The referenced game by OP is in the top 10 but the opening day Miami win with the goal posts coming down, winning the AFC east titles,the AFC championship games, especially 51-3, Kelly’s game ending TD run against Miami and of course the comeback game rank higher to me.

I understand it’s special to the o p, you certainly can’t take that away from him.It was a special game and win.

Hopefully this is the start of a new top 10.

Edited by dlonce

1 hour ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

I loved the comeback and the game...but I think this past Sunday's game was different. While the Pats game was much more exciting and crazy...I was never a believer in the Chan/Fitz era. I just enjoyed that game for the moment. And because Freddy Action is my favorite Bills player of all-time and he was incredible that day. 

While I still don't know about Beane/McDermott...this past Sunday made me feel better about the most important position on the field than I've possibly ever felt. I was too young for the Kelly era and started my football watching during the Flutie/Rob Johnson years. 

While it wasn't the most thrilling game in the 2nd half...this game was so incredibly important because it showed a glimpse of what could finally be a legit franchise QB. It's amazing to me that people still at times try to doubt how much you need one. You can see how much Allen's play lifted up the rest of the team, that's what a franchise QB can do more than any other position.

I hope years from now someone makes a thread reminiscing about that game in Minneapolis when Josh Allen arrived. 

It's not seven years from now, but you and I think similarly...I posted this yesterday.

1 hour ago, stevewin said:

Yup, and being up 41-3 at halftime, the rest of the game was just one big raucous party...pure joy, elation and every other adjective you can think of.  The closest WNY has ever gotten to a New Orleans Mardi Gras atmosphere.  

3 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

That was hands down the best Bills game in the modern era.  I also believe that Sunday's upset victory over Minnesota was the best game since then.  Hoping we can shock the world again this weekend in Green Bay! 

I still love the 31-0 drubbing we gave them on the Season Opener (Bledsoe Debut)

I was at this game! The best game I've ever seen live.

I was ridiculously, gleefully, inappropriately giddy after the win. I stayed in the stadium as long as humanly possible, shouting and yelling and talking **** to Patriots fans as they left. They all just shook their head and many laughed at me. They were right to do so. I was being pretty over the top. At the time, though, the Bills were undefeated, flying high, and had just claimed first place in the AFC East from the Pats. I thought the team had "turned the corner" and was headed for greatness. 

I even went down to field level and asked an usher for a piece of the grass from the field. He looked around to make sure no one was watching (removing part of the field is against the rules, apparently), and grabbed a chunk of grass and gave it to me. I still have it.

What a great day that was!

39 minutes ago, Epstein's Mother said:

I'm sorry to hear that.

Thanks, I guess.

It has just seemed like a different league/sport since then to me.  Surge in popularity, fantasy football, broadcasting, social media, online wagering, rule changes, stability of markets/alignment/format, etc.  It went from ultra popular to a complete weave into pop culture and everyone's conscious.

It was different in the mid-late 80s and 90s.  I think the 70s and early 80s are delineated from about 85-on as well, but I only really remember watching from about '85 on.  It seems like Superbowl 20 and the "superbowl shuffle" created a new Renaissance.  Just my opinion/view on 'eras' though in my mind.

Back to the topic... that game seems bittersweet now.  Great memory, definitely the best game I have attended.... but ultimately the Pats got the last laugh that year, and several laughs since.  The Bills couldn't do anything with that fast start.... but we all kind of knew the pinball method they were winning couldn't keep going.  

Edited by May Day 10
  • Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Ned Flanders said:

Yup, and being up 41-3 at halftime, the rest of the game was just one big raucous party...pure joy, elation and every other adjective you can think of.  

Exactly - I can't remember how many times I turned to my brother/Dad in the 2nd half  - "We're going to the F'ing Super Bowl!!!!"

3 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I watched this game at a Bills Backers Bar.  We all celebrated like crazy. 

The guy behind me was crying...tears flowing down his cheeks.  I thought that was a little much....it was a regular season game.

Or a game of sports in general.