Do you think Robert Foster can develop to into a #1 receiver?

BBills88

Foster has been a pleasant surprise. Watching him play, flame away if you will, he's got some Antonio Brown to his game. I can see it. Hopefully he continues to work and gets even better. He's possibly the biggest steal of the 2018 offseason getting him as a UDFA. 

Edited by H2o

Foster, not Zay Jones, is clearly our number one option at present. He has dramatically improved since the start of the season. Foster has a nice combination of speed, size and ability to gain separation. I don’t know if he will ever be a true #1 but he has been a pleasant surprise and is currently our best option. Zay Jones is a 3 or 4 at best. Lacks speed and separation and has inconsistent  hands. 

7 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Hes in his second year.  He will compete for the number 2.  He doesnt need to be the fastest reciever he just needs to keep improving.  Hes getting open more often.  He was interfeared with a lot today as well.  As our QB grows in popularity we will get more calls.  I wonder what the few who said Foster wont be on the team next year have to say now.

They're probably saying they're glad he's found a way to catch the ball.

1 hour ago, Juice_32 said:

Zay is a #3 slot guy. He does not belong on the outside.

Yep, this is my thought. Granted, in the modern NFL that’s still a starter but he doesn’t have the size or speed to be outside. You can get by without one of those, but not without both unless you just have a knack for getting open. Zay doesn’t have that knack.

People get on him for his hands, but they aren’t the problem. A WR isn’t going to have a high catch rate if every ball is contested. He simply doesn’t get separation.

yhik15avtivnxpiq6lw5.jpg

1 – Robert Foster turning into Bills No. 1 WR

On an offense starved for a number one wide receiver, Robert Foster has put together a pretty impressive rookie season for an undrafted player. Coming into the game leading all NFL rookie receivers since Week 12 with 82.5 receiving yards a game. On Sunday, the receiver known by his teammates as ‘Big Play Rob,’ upped the ante providing the Buffalo offense with the go-ahead touchdown in the fourth quarter and his third 100-yard receiving day of the season.

“The line stayed real good in protection. Our outside post took his guy, he ended up falling,” said Josh Allen. “Robert was running away from his guy and I put it up and made a real good play and catch on the ball and some yards after the catch and got in the end zone. It was big play for us.”

A big factor indeed as it proved to provide the game-winning points after Stephen Hauschka put the point after attempt up and through with just over 10 minutes left in regulation.

“It was beautiful. It was a perfect pass,” said Foster of his 42-yard scoring play. “That’s what practice is for. We practice it that over and over and over again and we came down with it in the game and it played a big factor.”

Foster had four catches for 108 yards on Sunday to surprisingly up his yards per catch average to an incomprehensible 24.6 yards per catch.

The rookie receiver also had a major hand in the team’s first scoring drive of the game. After pulling in a 28-yard catch down the right sideline from Allen to move the Bills into Detroit territory, he drew a 43-yard pass interference penalty on the next play. It set Buffalo up for a 1st-and-goal at the Lions four-yard line. Two plays later, Josh Allen scrambled into the end zone for his sixth rushing touchdown of the season.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

6 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

He hadn't done anything to warrant being signed. He was terrible in his 1st stint and was putting forth no effort to become a better player. 

True but it just takes one team to look at his size and ability to get separation. 

5 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Than bring back Brandon Reilly.  He's better than Thompson or Clay.

Thompson almost made a spectacular catch.  I think if he makes that catch he gets a little more love on this board.  Hes got potential to be better than what we just got rid of.  I really think that is part of "the process", developing players and trying to cultivate that potential.  I guess they figure what they have is better.  With Clay I think its mental.  He needs to get it together.  Allen had Clay and Zay open at times and chose to go elsewhere.  Zay was wide open on the TD to Foster but Allen threw to the guy that would catch it.  Zay just needs to keep working.

Edited by formerlyofCtown
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Thompson almost made a spectacular catch.  I think if he makes that catch he gets a little more love on this board.  Hes got potential to be better than what we just got rid of.  I really think that is part of "the process", developing players and trying to cultivate that potential.  I guess they figure what they have is better.  With Clay I think its mental.  He needs to get it together.  Allen had Clay and Zay open at times and chose to go elsewhere.  Zay was wide open on the TD to Foster but Allen through to the guy that would catch it.  Zay just needs to keep working.

I was in favor of bringing him back

we don’t need players almost doing things

we need them to do them

10 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

In an ideal world, Foster is no higher than #2 on our depth chart. He's a bit of a one-trick pony at this stage. Hopefully he continues to improve, but we still need a legitimate #1 in a massive way.

One trick pony?  I completely disagree. He’s not going long every play. 

• Like (+1) 1