Do you think Robert Foster can develop to into a #1 receiver?

BBills88

4 minutes ago, BuffAlone said:

Funny that McD says "these guys ain't on scholarship".  Foster was not on scholarship..he was a walk on. And maybe that's why he continues with a 'chip on his shoulder'. Good to see him making plays...and meaningful ones at that. That first down grab vs the Jests may have been even more impressive than his 75 yd TD last week. In my opinion anyway...

He wasn't a walk-on. He was the second ranked WR in the entire country coming out of high school and 23 overall. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Kelly the Dog said:

He wasn't a walk-on. He was the second ranked WR in the entire country coming out of high school and 23 overall. 

My bad. He was initially deemed ineligible before taking high school courses again that allowed him to be given the scholarship. And from what I've seen, he was ranked anywhere between 2-4th ranked coming out of high school.

Good catch Kelly

18 minutes ago, BuffAlone said:

My bad. He was initially deemed ineligible before taking high school courses again that allowed him to be given the scholarship. And from what I've seen, he was ranked anywhere between 2-4th ranked coming out of high school.

Yep. He seemed to have all kinds of issues at Bama, some of his own doing and some bad luck and circumstance. I would love to know what Daboll originally told Beane and McDermott about him.

8 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Yep. He seemed to have all kinds of issues at Bama, some of his own doing and some bad luck and circumstance. I would love to know what Daboll originally told Beane and McDermott about him.

I would agree Daboll must have put in a positive word, but considering they took Proehl at the end of the 7th, this may not have carried a lot of weight with McBeane as they were prepared to risk losing Foster to another team in UDFA..

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

I would agree Daboll must have put in a positive word, but considering they took Proehl at the end of the 7th, this may not have carried a lot of weight with McBeane as they were prepared to risk losing Foster to another team in UDFA..

Good point. Although you could look at it another way. Foster wasn't going to be drafted in all likelihood. He didn't even start in college. They were likely talking to him before and maybe during the draft. That happens a lot. The way to secure both of them is to draft Proehl and sign Foster if you know your connection will secure him.  

• Like (+1) 2

My early impression of Foster was that he was a useless speedster who couldn't track & catch long balls.

After reading about him buying shoes for a West Seneca teen,  my current impression is that he's a great young man.  I'm rooting for the kid.

https://www.al.com/sports/2018/11/robert-fosters-act-of-kindness-drawing-attention.html

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, hondo in seattle said:

My early impression of Foster was that he was a useless speedster who couldn't track & catch long balls.

After reading about him buying shoes for a West Seneca teen,  my current impression is that he's a great young man.  I'm rooting for the kid.

https://www.al.com/sports/2018/11/robert-fosters-act-of-kindness-drawing-attention.html

5 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

What did you think about just after the Jags game and before the shoe-buying incident?

I don't think he'll develop into a #1 receiver, but there's a place for him on the roster do to his speed and he actually can seem to catch the ball (as opposed to Goodwin who also had speed, but dropped about 50%)   His hands are also good enough that he can run different routes, not just "go deep"

2 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

No to the question.

Foster is a deep threat.  Change of pace speed guy.  Useful weapon sure ..  but not a #1 go to guy. 

He simply lacks the size and physicality to be that role. 

Antonio Brown says "What??"

BTW, Foster has good size at 6'2" 196 lbs.

• Like (+1) 1