The Ryan Fitzpatrick Cycle

PlayoffsPlease

9 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Promo, even in the first half I couldn't believe some of the throws he made.

Watching from over his shoulder from the skycam on some plays I couldn't help but wonder how does even see the guy being open?

You're right.  He doesn't sometimes.  He trusted his guys.

Very tangentially, what do you think is going on in the back of Allen's mind when his "Number 1" receiver can't catch balls either when he is being contested by a puny DB or is wide open?

A lot easier to trust Mike Evans than anyone in the Bills WR corps.

• Like (+1) 4

9 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Very tangentially, what do you think is going on in the back of Allen's mind when his "Number 1" receiver can't catch balls either when he is being contested by a puny DB or is wide open?

Maybe Allen can learn to play the bank off of Benjamin’s chest in order to get the ball to an otherwise covered receiver who could reliably catch it... a plan which unfortunately assumes that such a player currently exists on the Bills. 

• Haha (+1) 1

If there's a cycle to Fitz, it's one where after a few good games he (and the coaching staff) think he's capable of carrying the team on his back--and proceed to try and let him do so.   It never works, due to his arm limitations.   

We saw it again last night.  The TB offensive line was terrible at protecting him, his receivers (aside from Evans) were letting him down, the score was getting out of hand and he tried to overcompensate for that, which led to all the INTs and ultimate failure.

He does excel inside a structured offense with good support from the defense.   He'll win again in the future, but the wheels have to stay on the car--just like they do for most QBs not named Brady, Rogers or a few of the up-and-coming kids...

Edited by Lurker
  • Like (+1) 1

Yes I know Br*dy does not need wheels on car, he cheats.

Saying his arm is weak is very weak.  He has some control issues with long passes but he can still sling them long distances. 

Quick which QB has record for longest reception for Buffalo?

Hope Josh has more control but with our WRs it is hard to tell if he threw to wrong spot or WR was in wrong spot.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Fitzy was just one stop on D away from completing the comeback.  If the Tampa Bay D can pick up for Fitz when he stumbles, they could go places.

We all blame the QB but there were half a dozen other plays that could have won the game for TB.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Fitz is great. The picks come from his Zero-F##ks-Given style. It's high risk/high reward. He's the ultimate "trust your receivers" guy.

And when do you ever get the reward? Who has ever seen this high risk/high reward payoff?

Nice guy, but he's a bum. I can't believe people still fall for this crap.

11 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

We all blame the QB but there were half a dozen other plays that could have won the game for TB.

He had like 3 other interceptions dropped and threw an awful pick 6. 

You just watched the high lights, didn't you?

It's astonishing to me that someone would blame that loss on anyone but Fitz. He did what he always does. 

How could a Bills fan not see a home loss at Monday night vs a Pittsburgh team people are questioning? No one actually bought into this dumb Fitz mvp stuff after 2 weeks right? We watched this before.

Watched the game last night in full.

Fitz had a rough night but came back strong at the end.  The one deflected INT was not really his fault either. 

While watching, I couldn't help but notice that Fitz is actually a good bit better than Tyrod Taylor.  Fitz will absolutely sling the ball into tight spots, he throws receivers open with anticipation, and he can definitely move the ball down the field.

His great fault is lack of arm strength and he has that habit of throwing an INT now and again that he should not have thrown.

But I think we would have won our playoff game last year with Fitz as the QB.

Don't forget, Bortles played one of the worst playoff games by a QB in recent memory!

The problem was that Tyrod was worse.

The difference between the two is Fiztpatrick more often than not will give his player a chance to make a play  The last td he threw to Evans he just heaved it to a spot before he got hit  I dont think he even saw down the field but knew Evans was one on one on the outside.  Tyrod always had to see the guy completely open before he would throw the ball.  So you get less turnovers but also far fewer explosive plays.  He brought em back last night.  Koetter's last series was awful calling the plays and the Bucs D sucked

2 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

Watched the game last night in full.

Fitz had a rough night but came back strong at the end.  The one deflected INT was not really his fault either. 

While watching, I couldn't help but notice that Fitz is actually a good bit better than Tyrod Taylor.  Fitz will absolutely sling the ball into tight spots, he throws receivers open with anticipation, and he can definitely move the ball down the field.

His great fault is lack of arm strength and he has that habit of throwing an INT now and again that he should not have thrown.

But I think we would have won our playoff game last year with Fitz as the QB.

Don't forget, Bortles played one of the worst playoff games by a QB in recent memory!

The problem was that Tyrod was worse.

I agree, he does throw guys open and tyrod doesnt.

However, fitz has had more opportunities to make the playoffs and never has.

He always comes up short and has been doing it for 10 years. I'd feel bad for the guy but I think he maxed out his talent and had a pretty decent career and got paid.

He's just not a winner. Tyrod will do it ugly, but in my opinion, he's more of a winner and just gets there despite how ugly it will look. Kind of like the 2-3 zone with Syracuse. 

14 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

I agree, he does throw guys open and tyrod doesnt.

However, fitz has had more opportunities to make the playoffs and never has.

He always comes up short and has been doing it for 10 years. I'd feel bad for the guy but I think he maxed out his talent and had a pretty decent career and got paid.

He's just not a winner. Tyrod will do it ugly, but in my opinion, he's more of a winner and just gets there despite how ugly it will look. Kind of like the 2-3 zone with Syracuse. 

Fitzpatrick had 10 wins in New York and didn’t make the playoffs.

Tyrod gets 9, back doors his way in, and is more of a winner?

Tyrod has some moments here and there, but Fitz with Watkins, Woods, Goodwin and Hogan would’ve won more games than Taylor, imo.

Just now, ThunderGun said:

Fitzpatrick had 10 wins in New York and didn’t make the playoffs.

Tyrod gets 9, back doors his way in, and is more of a winner?

Tyrod has some moments here and there, but Fitz with Watkins, Woods, Goodwin and Hogan would’ve won more games than Taylor, imo.

Fitz had a decent team and just had to beat a crappy Bills team to make the playoffs.

He played horrendous. Every big moment in his career it seems as though he has played awful. I don't know why we are even going down this path of comparing tyrod and fitz. Neither have been anything more than a bridge qb.

Fitz was bad last night and started moving the ball when Pittsburgh stopped bringing pressure. That was not a good game. You're a fan of the guy I get it, but the interception that sailed and then he came back with the pick 6 were just horrendous. 

I don't see how a Bills fan couldn't see what happened last night coming and think it'd be a good idea to continue with him. They're much better off seeing what they have in Jameis.

51 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

Fitz had a decent team and just had to beat a crappy Bills team to make the playoffs.

He played horrendous. Every big moment in his career it seems as though he has played awful. I don't know why we are even going down this path of comparing tyrod and fitz. Neither have been anything more than a bridge qb.

Fitz was bad last night and started moving the ball when Pittsburgh stopped bringing pressure. That was not a good game. You're a fan of the guy I get it, but the interception that sailed and then he came back with the pick 6 were just horrendous. 

I don't see how a Bills fan couldn't see what happened last night coming and think it'd be a good idea to continue with him. They're much better off seeing what they have in Jameis.

I think one thing you might be neglecting to mention is that guys like Fitz - a fifteen year veteran - get better over time because they can see everything in a way they couldn't before. McCown, DeBerg, Boomer Esiason, Kurt Warner - they are all guys who made plays they weren't seeing before (I realize that Warner and Esiason were good early in their careers; I'm referring to new things they were able to do at the end of their careers). DeBerg lasted forever and wasn't good through the late 1970s/early 1980s, but in 1990 and 1991 the Chiefes were 11-5 and 10-5 with him at the helm. Fitz will never be great for reasons we know all too well, but it's certainly a plausible idea that he is a better player than he was five years ago. He was quite good in 2015 (31 TDs and 15 INTs), so it's not like he hasn't performed before.  He certainly has the skill players to put up numbers.

As for the picks, all good QBs throw picks. They're always gonna happen with QBs who like to sling it.