Andrew Luck is done

stuvian

11 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

I believe the stat was he's completed something like 114 passes that have traveled more than 31 yards in his 1st 5 years and he hasn't attempted anything close to that distance yet.  Also Reich said in the post game that Brissett game them the best chance at getting the ball in the endzone.  Meaning they know he is still hurt/struggling with his arm strength but I'm guessing that this is part of his "rehab" if you will.

They said on Monday Night Countdown last night that he only completed one pass this year that has traveled over 20 yards in the air.  

1 minute ago, Gordio said:

They said on Monday Night Countdown last night that he only completed one pass this year that has traveled over 20 yards in the air.  

I was referring to Mike Clay's twitter post.

Mike ClayVerified account @MikeClayNFL
FollowFollow @MikeClayNFL
More

Andrew Luck has not attempted a pass with a depth over 31 yards this season. He totaled 114 such attempts during his first 5 NFL seasons, completing 39 of 114 for 1,832 yards, 19 TD and 8 INT #ColtsINDColts18.png

1:53 PM - 24 Sep 2018

I happened to be at this game (Colts v Eagles).

The weather was lousy.  It rained steadily up until the 4th quarter.  The field was pretty bad at that point.  Both teams were playing the dink and dunk the entire game.  I think he was taken out so he wouldn't get injured on a last, arguably desperate play.  

Luck looked ok to me  but he threw a lot of passes that game - 40 because the Colts running game is weak.  Not as many as his first game but you got the impression Eric Ebron had like 250 catches during the game.    

• Like (+1) 1

One of the criticism of Luck in the past is that he tried to throw long too much, and the Indy coaching staff did little to curb that tendency.  My guess is that Reich is trying to make Luck into a more disciplined -- and more effective -- QB who depends less on raw talent and more on intelligence, patience, knowledge, etc.  Most successful QBs today aren't throwing lots of passes that travel long distances through the air.

• Like (+1) 1

Do you realize the only skill used on this play is heaving the ball as far as you can at some general location in the endzone? No reading the D, no audible, no touch pass on a cross, just heave it. So why, after missing the time he did with the injury he had, would you bring in Luck for a skill-less and low probability throw when he's working to get this arm strength back? You bring in Uncle Rico for this if you want. 

Turns out when you go looking just for evidence to support your theory rather than look at all evidence, you are a garbage researcher and scientist. Confirmation bias is the most used approach on TSW.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Hmm. Manning survived without an arm for 3 or 4 years. Luck looked really good the week before at Washington, but it is clear his arm is not what it was.

Hopefully he continues to regain strength. I would be a shame to lose a talent like that due to injury (and misuse). 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, PeterDude said:

Is Luck still recovering?  Maybe he still needs time to build up strength.

I think there's that, for sure.  Didn't he only start throwing an NFL football partway through training camp?  It will probably take him another off-season to rebuild his strength

4 hours ago, stuvian said:

bringing in Jacoby Brissett to throw the Hail Mary at the end of the game proves it

I think it's more along the lines of bringing in EJ Manuel for the hard count

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

He is a different Quarterback than he was pre-injury. That doesn't mean he can't still be a good Quarterback. Questions about "ceiling" etc will of course remain.

Chad Pennington post-shoulder injury could get you to 9-7 or 10-6 on smarts/savviness alone, but he couldn't get you more than 3 points in a playoff game against a good team. 

3 hours ago, The Wiz said:

I was referring to Mike Clay's twitter post.

Mike ClayVerified account @MikeClayNFL
FollowFollow @MikeClayNFL
More

Andrew Luck has not attempted a pass with a depth over 31 yards this season. He totaled 114 such attempts during his first 5 NFL seasons, completing 39 of 114 for 1,832 yards, 19 TD and 8 INT #ColtsINDColts18.png

1:53 PM - 24 Sep 2018

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, stuvian said:

bringing in Jacoby Brissett to throw the Hail Mary at the end of the game proves it

I don't think he is done.

I hurt my shoulder and it took along time before I could throw anything, then I could only throw short to medium distances and trying to heave a ball as far as possible is what hurt the most and I couldn't do it. Luck maybe has similar issues until his shoulder is 100%