Lazy Buffalo media

Dadonkadonk

Is anyone else amused and/or annoyed with McD constantly referring to this team as a "young football team"?  And the media never calls him on it.  I've seen rankings anywhere from 7th to 2nd OLDEST team in the league.  Yes they have rookies at QB and MLB with second year players at LT, DB, and OLB.  These are all critical positions but it hardly makes the entire team young.   Shady, KW, Hughes, Poyer, Hyde, Lorax, Star, Ducasse, KB, Ivory, Clay, and Davis before his retirement are all vets with many years of service and play key roles on the team.  

I know this is not a big deal but it is just really annoying.  I could not sit there as a reporter and hear him say "young football team" no less than 5 times in PC today and not call him out on the actual facts.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Dadonkadonk said:

Is anyone else amused and/or annoyed with McD constantly referring to this team as a "young football team"?  And the media never calls him on it.  I've seen rankings anywhere from 7th to 2nd OLDEST team in the league.  Yes they have rookies at QB and MLB with second year players at LT, DB, and OLB.  These are all critical positions but it hardly makes the entire team young.   Shady, KW, Hughes, Poyer, Hyde, Lorax, Star, Ducasse, KB, Ivory, Clay, and Davis before his retirement are all vets with many years of service and play key roles on the team.  

I know this is not a big deal but it is just really annoying.  I could not sit there as a reporter and hear him say "young football team" no less than 5 times in PC today and not call him out on the actual facts.

It bugs a few people. I just want to know what exactly he means when he says that. Young core? The team is young with him as a HC? Young players? Idk, people can explain it away, but nobody knows for sure what he is talking about. 

The young players he's talking about are - try to wrap your head around this - the young players on the team. The older players that skew the age of the team are not going to be here very long. They are place-holders. 

Besides, the spread between the "youngest" and "oldest" teams in the league is so small that it's essentially meaningless. 

Edited by Domdab99
  • Like (+1) 5

I think he's really trying to say that the team is still trying to gel... They aren't age wise young but if you look at how many new faces are starting this year it's a young team in that sense. Just the lack of experience playing together.

I'm taking it as these guys are still learning to be a team. They're learning where everyone on the team fits in it's hierarchy... The improvement we've seen could be a result of people starting to settle into their roles on the team. 

If you look at the guys the team lost... it was a lot of leadership that retired or left this off season. On offense they lost guys like Taylor, Wood, Incognito, Glenn on offense. Those guys probably handled a lot of the leadership responsibilities on that side of the ball. Then on defense we lost Preston Brown and EJ Gaines. 

Then what do we have that replaced those voids? Peterman and Allen for our QBs and that's a no brainer leadership role right? A key position that a team looks to for leadership. Then you have Bodine and Groy trying to settle into an area that Wood had locked down for years. It's pretty common knowledge that Wood was a leader on that line. It's also important imo to consider how having a guy with say Incognitos attitude on that line may have elevated their play. He's gone now so some of that o lines swagger may have left with him. That's the stuff you don't see in the stats and numbers...

Then on defense you have Edmunds trying to fill the shoes of Preston Brown... He has to QB the defense from that position and he's a fricken rookie. I think just being a rookie is tough enough but now you also have the responsibility of calling the defense? You have Star and Murphy as newcomers to the D line. Once again that line is going to need to learn together and gel as a unit. The defense wasnt hit as hard as the offense but it did lose some pieces.

So when I look at it like that.  Taking into consideration all the new faces and lost pieces I can see what he thinks hes saying as far as them being a young team and progressing. Theyre still learning communicate and play as teammates. Learn one another's strengths and weaknesses... All that stuff that goes into building good chemistry.  Figuring out who the leaders are now. Who's amping everyone up when they're feeling down or deflated. Who has the veteran presence and game knowledge to pass on.

The good news is it seems like it's all starting to click. They're getting it sorted out. We didn't come out of the pre season in full form and that's pretty obvious at this point. They needed those first 6 quarters to continue to grow as a unit on both sides of the ball. I think they're going to keep improving... I don't think we've seen the best of this roster yet. 

Edited by GrizzReaper
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

so...

QB,

Future starting TE

LT

C

WR core.

ILB

We have lots of older players that drive our average up but its some of these key positions that are young or future young.

pretty sure that's what he is referring to.

Plus a young starting outside linebacker and #1 cornerback as well in Milano and White. Functionally the team is young at many starting positions. I don’t really see a problem with McDermott’s characterization. 

4 hours ago, Dadonkadonk said:

You seem upset.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Domdab99 said:

The young players he's talking about are - try to wrap your head around this - the young players on the team. The older players that skew the age of the team are not going to be here very long. They are place-holders. 

Besides, the spread between the "youngest" and "oldest" teams in the league is so small that it's essentially meaningless. 

Based on this definition every team in the NFL is "young".

5 hours ago, Dadonkadonk said:

Hyde - 27

Poyer - 27

Star - 28

That's old?

Maybe you should check your "actual facts"

28 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

You seem upset.

He forgot to take his ensure

5 hours ago, Dadonkadonk said:

I think they all realize he’s referring to the players playing the most critical positions. They are very young. 

• Like (+1) 2

51 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think they all realize he’s referring to the players playing the most critical positions. They are very young. 

Agreed.

To the OP because the young core is.   the average is  26.9   

NFL teams average ages currently range from 24.9 years to 27.2 years. That puts the average age of an NFL player at approximately 26 years old.

5 players over 30

6 players 30 

5 players 28, 29

13  players over 26, 27

Conor McDermott   25
John Miller   25
Nate Orchard   25
Eddie Yarbrough   25
Cory Carter   24
Jason Croom   24
Dion Dawkins   24
Reid Ferguson   24