Bills vs. Vikings All-22 Coaches Film Reviews

26CornerBlitz

17 hours ago, Doc said:

Another thing is that I loved that he skyed the QB sneak at the goal-line.  Gonna be tough to defend that one.

I'd like to see Daboll just give Allen the go-ahead for any 3rd or 4th and 1 or less to not even huddle and just get quickly up to the line and QB sneak for a 1st down the way Brady and the Pats do.

With Allen's 240 lbs pushing behind Bodine he should be able to get 1 yard 100% of the time. 

But it has to be automatic without a huddle so the defense can prepare and scheme against it.

• Like (+1) 1

(WKBW) - In a result that no one expected outside of the players themselves, the Buffalo Bills shocked the NFL by going to Minnesota and blowing out the Vikings 27-6. It's a result that demanded going back to the film to see just what brought about the result.

Up next, the Bills will take on the Green Bay Packers -- another tough road challenge. Before that happens, first is an in-depth look at the individual performances from the Week Three win over the Vikings, which now gives the Bills a 1-2 record to start 2018.

Each week, WKBW.com will review the film, and bring you how each player graded out in the previous week, with the help of the Game Pass app on NFL.com. You can see a full explanation of how the grades get calculated at the bottom of the article.

Before we get to the individual grades, first some takeaways from the game to help fill in some of the gaps between the grades that you'll see:

1) Hughes, Murphy, and Alexander providing a 1-2-3 punch
2) Milano providing consistency to go with his flash plays
3) Offense attempted to manufacture separation and hide the Bills' biggest problem
4) Bodine brought a much-needed upgrade at center
5) Hyde returns to 2017 form, though Poyer lagging a bit

By Ted Nguyen

A couple of young guns

Baker Mayfield entered the game with the Browns down 14-0 to the Jets after Tyrod Taylor left with a concussion just before halftime. Mayfield led them to a 21-17 victory.

The Bills were 17-point underdogs on the road but rode rookie quarterback Josh Allen’s arms and legs to one of the biggest upsets of this young season. Allen threw for a touchdown and ran for two others in the Bills’ 27-6 victory against the Vikings. Although the victory was impressive, Allen just wasn’t as impressive as Mayfield and that’s no fault of Allen. A lot of Allen’s passing yardage came on two blown coverages or check downs in which his receivers made plays after the catch.

Here, the Vikings played a 3-deep pattern match coverage. The Bills ran their version of a concept called “swipe,” which involves switch verticals on the front side (offensive right) of the play. Receiver Zay Jones (No. 11) and tight end Jason Croom (No. 80) ran the switch verticals. What really confused the Vikings coverage was running back Marcus Murphy (No. 45) motioning wide toward the right before the snap.

Linebacker Eric Kendricks (No. 54) was supposed to be responsible for the “final 3” receiver and nickel corner Mike Hughes (No. 21) was supposed to cover the number 2 receiver but there was some confusion about which receiver was number 2 or 3. Murphy motioned out so wide that Hughes thought Murphy became the new number 2 and that he had to jump Murphy while Kendricks would cover Croom. However, both players covered Murphy, leaving Croom wide open for the touchdown.

Looking at the film, the rookie Hughes was likely the player in the wrong here. Allen took advantage of the great play design and a blown coverage and threw the touchdown.

Allen certainly gets some credit for finding open receivers and making plays with his legs throughout the game but the Bills simply can’t rely on blown coverages and for Allen to run the ball 10 times a game (he had 10 rushes for 39 yards and two touchdowns against the Vikings). He’ll have all season to prove that he can do more.

by Rivers McCown

Every year, someone draws the short straw and has to write the meanest chapter in our book. The one that buries a feckless franchise. The one that takes a look at all the goodwill and hope a team has generated in their fan base and just spits right in its face. Such has been my experience with Buffalo Bills fans this season. #BillsMafia has already let me know, among other things, that I am a loser, that stats are for losers, that my wife is fat, and so on. I've cleaned up the language a bit to keep it suitable for publication.

For two weeks, I heard very little from them. They all appeared to retire.

So it was with some chagrin that I noticed I would get to praise what Buffalo did last week as the early scores came in. They became the first NFL team to ever be an underdog of 15 or more points and win by 15 or more points. It was, to be frank, sort of a shocking turnaround for a team that looked completely putrid over the first two weeks of the season. It was also a wee bit of a fluke, a conclusion that I'm sure you have already jumped to, seeing as we're on a stats website.

The Vikings put four fumbles on the ground, losing two. Josh Allen put three fumbles on the ground, losing none. Combine that with a Minnesota interception, and we've got a turnover margin of -3. That even undersells a bit just how damaging the turnovers were. Buffalo scored 10 points in the first quarter on drives in which they gained a total of 29 yards. At halftime, the Vikings were down 27-0. The Bills offense we've all known and loved over the past two games came back strong in the second half, where they managed 35 yards on five possessions. By then, though, the damage had already been done.

Allen looked a bit more polished than I expected him to be in the early going of his NFL career. He still made some boneheaded plays in this one, but when the easy stuff looks easy for a quarterback with this kind of raw talent, that's a great sign. There were a lot of easy yards to pick up. His longest pass play was a busted coverage on Chris Ivory out of the backfield. His touchdown to Charles Clay was a zone window that was open for 10 yards. Minnesota's most daring defender was actually Kelvin Benjamin, who dropped a pair of nice balls that hit him right in the chest. Of the actual deep throws that Allen attempted, he had the same result twice, but radically different processes to get to that result.

In the second quarter, this bomb to Robert Foster was underthrown and was quite interceptable.

In the third, this ball to Foster was actually pretty on the money, Foster just didn't complete the catch.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

26, I was at the game Sunday with my wife, and we were wondering why were there so many "too many men in the backfield" during one point in the game.  Does the All 22 film show what was happening?  I told my wife it's typically caused by the outside WR not checking with the Line Judge when they get to the line of scrimmage...so we started focusing on the Bills WRs from that point on and noticed that indeed they WEREN'T actually checking on a regular basis.  Thoughts? 

10 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

26, I was at the game Sunday with my wife, and we were wondering why were there so many "too many men in the backfield" during one point in the game.  Does the All 22 film show what was happening?  I told my wife it's typically caused by the outside WR not checking with the Line Judge when they get to the line of scrimmage...so we started focusing on the Bills WRs from that point on and noticed that indeed they WEREN'T actually checking on a regular basis.  Thoughts? 

Multiple formations with many personnel packages could easily lead to confusion with so many new players on offense with them being in the 1st year of Daboll's system.  I haven't looked at which players were at fault.  Could have been TEs or WRs not being on the LoS. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz