Josh Allen's 10-yard TD was 13th fastest run yesterday

Doc

1 minute ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I wonder what those MPH would be at 10 yard intervals. He seems to accelerate pretty quick too for a tall guy. Usually if they have any speed it's after they get going full speed with the long loping strides. 

The do 10- and 20-yard splits.  Not sure where to find them.  And would be interesting to see if he's slowing down on the back 20.

Edited by Doc

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

a player should theoretically be faster on a track than a football field.  A 4.75 40-yard translates to 17.2 MPH.

No one is chasing you at the combine.  I'm sure they are going 100% to get the best time possible but the adrenaline kicks in when you are in a game. 

Growing up I was fast playing baseball but always felt like I ran my fastest after hitting the ball.  You get that killer instinct that makes you hit another gear.  Was the same way when I was on my swim team.  Was never a fast swimmer but you see the goal and you teammates standing there cheering and you somehow shave 3 seconds off your best time.

1 minute ago, The Wiz said:

No one is chasing you at the combine.  I'm sure they are going 100% to get the best time possible but the adrenaline kicks in when you are in a game. 

Growing up I was fast playing baseball but always felt like I ran my fastest after hitting the ball.  You get that killer instinct that makes you hit another gear.  Was the same way when I was on my swim team.  Was never a fast swimmer but you see the goal and you teammates standing there cheering and you somehow shave 3 seconds off your best time.

Yep. And some guys are faster in shorts but slower in pads and in game situations than their allegedly slower counterparts. Similar to what you said, I was always kind of amazed at guys like Jerry Rice and Andre Reed who looked to be running as fast as they could but when they saw the ball in the air which was going to be a little long they suddenly found more speed and got faster. It's kind of the adrenaline, lift up a car in an emergency kind of thing. 

• Like (+1) 1

I thought about it and I recalled that I said when I was watching Allen at the Combine running the 40 that he looked so nonchalant about it.  I remembered right.  He doesn't appear to be going all-out.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

I thought about it and I recalled that I said when I was watching Allen at the Combine running the 40 that he looked so nonchalant about it.  I remembered right.  He doesn't appear to be going all-out.

Yea that compared to his runs on Sunday were very different.

Running for a good time is different than running for a TD/FD.

1 hour ago, Doc said:

a player should theoretically be faster on a track than a football field.  A 4.75 40-yard translates to 17.2 MPH.

Yes they should- sometimes strengh and determination takes athletes to a different level. But who knows with him- maybe he had a bad day at the combine, maybe he got faster in the offseason for some freakish reaon etc etc...