First time visiting San Francisco

LeGOATski

26 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I gotta visit San Fran again... The new stuff the are smoking there looks really gr8!

But ya got me. Buffalo Bud 420 and I decided to wake and bake for getting into work

Edited by PetermanThrew5Picks

On 9/24/2018 at 7:49 PM, Another Fan said:

Pretty sure you can take a boat to Alcatraz.  It used to be a museum not sure about today

Just did it in June.  If you dont have tickets, they release about 50-75 each day get there at 5am to insure a seat. It is very neat.  The audio tour is awesome and impressive how close it is too the shore.

On 9/25/2018 at 8:35 AM, Best Player Available said:

The  stienhart aquarium-- in GGP outstanding one of the best in the country. A must. 

Vesuvio's right hext door to city lights bookstore. You never know who will be sitting there. Funky place thats been there

forever. The beat generations SF hangout back in their heyday. 

Tosca's right across the street from,Vesuvios on Columbus.   Doesn't open until 5pm

again lots of crazy people can show up. Met Clint Eastwood in the 90's there for like 5 seconds. 

Awesome irish coffee and hot choclate. worth the price just watching them make it. More of a local hangout.

Which is good. Sit at the bar! 

Buena vista near firshermans wharf. Best Irish coffee outside of Dublin.

They claim they invented the Irish Coffee. That I don't know but they are the best period. 

Decent food to. 

Thats a good start and a day well spent. 

I just want to second these suggestions. All excellent. And if you're wandering around the Wharf (yeah, locals don't go ... I used to live in SF, but I wasn't that snobby to deter visitors from going), follow the signs and wander into the Musee Mecanique. A weird warehouse filled with old arcade machines. I'm not talking 1980s PacMan. These are weird late 1800s/early 1900s machines, most of which can still be played. No charge to get in.

• Like (+1) 1

"First time visiting San Francisco".

Spent a couple weeks in L.A., Hollywood and Santa Monica two years ago. Great to see, except for seeing how bad the decaying of large U.S. city societies are.   

My RW despising lawyer kid was offered a job in San Fran. and turned it down because of what he saw there.....and he lives in Manhattan.

5 minutes ago, I am the egg man said:

"First time visiting San Francisco".

Spent a couple weeks in L.A., Hollywood and Santa Monica two years ago. Great to see, except for seeing how bad the decaying of large U.S. city societies are.   

My RW despising lawyer kid was offered a job in San Fran. and turned it down because of what he saw there.....and he lives in Manhattan.

Manhattan is the nicest, cleanest big city I've been to in years.  I keep telling people out here, "what we need is to elect Rudy as mayor".  They tend to grudgingly agree.

Go to Alcatraz, especially if you like history as you say.

Have you seen any of the movies done on the escape, such as the one with Clint Eastwood?  

I loved those and had a special interest in the escape when I was younger, and so it was really cool to see the real prison in person and connect it with what I saw in the movies.

5 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Manhattan is the nicest, cleanest big city I've been to in years.  I keep telling people out here, "what we need is to elect Rudy as mayor".  They tend to grudgingly agree.

If you think NYC is clean, you need to get to Europe more often.

It's rather dirty and gross in typical American style in comparison to any European big city I can think of.

22 hours ago, North Buffalo said:

Just did it in June.  If you dont have tickets, they release about 50-75 each day get there at 5am to insure a seat. It is very neat.  The audio tour is awesome and impressive how close it is too the shore.

We lived in the Bay Area for nearly 9 years and never did Alcatraz.  We talked about it all the time but never went. We regret it but I go back for work often (as a matter of fact I'll be there next week) so it's still on the list.  

19 hours ago, KD in CA said:

Wait......you find people in SF that agree with that.  Holy hell.  I've only been gone a year.  Glad to hear they are finally coming around.  There is so much cool stuff in that city but the **** (literally and figuratively) that is allowed to take place there is disgusting.  I'll be there next week but busy with clients on the other side of the bay in "idyllic" Walnut Creek. 

On 9/28/2018 at 12:51 PM, Fadingpain said:

Go to Alcatraz, especially if you like history as you say.

Have you seen any of the movies done on the escape, such as the one with Clint Eastwood?  

I loved those and had a special interest in the escape when I was younger, and so it was really cool to see the real prison in person and connect it with what I saw in the movies.

If you think NYC is clean, you need to get to Europe more often.

It's rather dirty and gross in typical American style in comparison to any European big city I can think of.

This is true.  In the last couple years I've noticed the same thing. London > NYC.  Madrid > Chicago. Barcelona > Los Angeles.  What's going on in American cities? Is it just drugs or something else?

I was just up there last year.  San Francisco is a great city to visit.

You need to walk across the GG Bridge.  (Or at least walk out to the middle of it.)

When I was there, I looked down and saw 3 whales pass right beneath me.  Just a wonderful experience.

I don't know your transportation situation, but if you can, do yourself a favor and head up to see the Redwoods.  Being in the presence of those behemoths is something I will never forget.  I'm already looking forward to the next time I visit.

Here's something to do. Last night we did a wine tasting bay cruise. Great scenery, wonderful time. Plenty of wine flowing. This was free for us, as we're members of a certain wine club, but if I was a tourist and wanted a fun evening checking out The City from the bay and drinking good wine...I'd do this. Small boat, only 20-24 other people on board. Not a drunken, party boat type of thing. https://sanfranciscobayboatcruise.com/ 

thumbnail?appId=YahooMailNeo&downloadWhenThumbnailFails=true&pid=3thumbnail?appId=YahooMailNeo&downloadWhenThumbnailFails=true&pid=2

Edited by 707BillsFan

Trip over.

Went to....

Scoma's. !@#$ing delicious

Dim Sum in Chinatown. !@#$ing delicious.

Golden Gate bridge. !@#$ing delicious.

Pier 39. !@#$ing delicious.

The Grove and Lao Table for lunch we're pretty good.

We were able to fit that in around all our high level business meetings, so I feel it was a total success.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Trip over.

Went to....

Scoma's. !@#$ing delicious

Dim Sum in Chinatown. !@#$ing delicious.

Golden Gate bridge. !@#$ing delicious.

Pier 39. !@#$ing delicious.

The Grove and Lao Table for lunch we're pretty good.

We were able to fit that in around all our high level business meetings, so I feel it was a total success.

Too bad you didn’t stick around another couple days, the Blue Angels started practicing today over the city.

• Sad 1