First time visiting San Francisco

LeGOATski

City View for Dim Sum in the financial district.  If you’re there on a Saturday The Ferry Building for the farmer’s market. If you’re going wine tasting do Sonoma not Napa. If you do Napa stay on the less crowded Silverado Trail.  Iron Horse Vineyards in Sonoma and nearby Boheimian Creamery for artisanal cheese. 

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

City View for Dim Sum in the financial district.  If you’re there on a Saturday The Ferry Building for the farmer’s market. If you’re going wine tasting do Sonoma not Napa. If you do Napa stay on the less crowded Silverado Trail.  Iron Horse Vineyards in Sonoma and nearby Boheimian Creamery for artisanal cheese. 

Thanks. Sun-Wed (business trip). Won't be doing any wine tasting.

25 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Cool, I'm gonna try to make time for this. Gotta take in views of the Pacific shoreline while I'm there.

18 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

Head across the Golden Gate and visit the small town of Tiburon. Charming place. Check out Sausalito too.

We loved Sausalito! 

1 hour ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

Scoma's on Fisherman's Wharf is good.

They saw us coming on Fisherman’s Wharf. I got some seafood special (about 20 years ago!) without asking the price. It was like $87 way back then, and not very special tourist food.

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

I absolutely love, love, LOVE FIsherman's Wharf!

Those seals stink to high heaven! 

1 hour ago, Chef Jim said:

Sonoma was awesome, while Napa was kind of disappointing. This was along time ago. 

We also did some spa time in Calistoga. I takes some effort to get that mud spa out of your.....never mind. 

27 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

Head across the Golden Gate and visit the small town of Tiburon. Charming place. Check out Sausalito too.

Sausalito is a madhouse on weekends now, but it does have a lot of places to eat and the advantage of frequent ferries.  Lots of people rent bikes in the city and ferry over to Sausalito.  Only problem is the ferry line going back to the city after dinner.

Tiburon is more charming;  there's also a cool little museum that shows you how the town was once a big railyard (they ferried railroads over from SF).  Now it's among the priciest real estate in the country.

36 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

Pretty sure you can take a boat to Alcatraz.  It used to be a museum not sure about today

Still is and still hugely popular with the tourists.  I believe they sell out weeks in advance now;  at least during the summer.

Also in Marin, if you want to go to Muir Woods, you need to make a reservation -- no joke -- and also sells out weeks in advance.  Used to be first come, first served on parking but someone over-thought the problem so now they turn locals away from empty parking lots at 5 pm on a Wednesday because they 'don't have a reservation'.  

Of course, you have a whole mountain full of redwoods with all kinds of trails of varying degrees of difficulty, so really nothing that special about that one little section.

Come to Mill Valley for breakfast and hike the Dipsea trail out to Stinson Beach!

Edited by KD in CA

11 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

Take your galoshes. Don't know when you'll step in a pile of ****.

:thumbsup:

Sadly true in union ion square area. 

2 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

Get chioppino while you're there. You'll thank me later.

That at kind of talk is not allowed here...

Check out the sea lions that took over pier 39 years ago.

The Alcatraz tour is really good, but if you go don't be late for the boat you want to take back. I watched a couple show up about 5 seconds after they closed the gate on a half empty boat and they got denied.

I wouldn't go out of my way, but the light show on the Oakland Bay Bridge is pretty cool if you're in that area.

10 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Sausalito is a madhouse on weekends now, but it does have a lot of places to eat and the advantage of frequent ferries.  Lots of people rent bikes in the city and ferry over to Sausalito.  Only problem is the ferry line going back to the city after dinner.

Tiburon is more charming;  there's also a cool little museum that shows you how the town was once a big railyard (they ferried railroads over from SF).  Now it's among the priciest real estate in the country.

Still is and still hugely popular with the tourists.  I believe they sell out weeks in advance now;  at least during the summer.

Also in Marin, if you want to go to Muir Woods, you need to make a reservation -- no joke -- and also sells out weeks in advance.  Used to be first come, first served on parking but someone over-thought the problem so now they turn locals away from empty parking lots at 5 pm on a Wednesday because they 'don't have a reservation'.  

Of course, you have a whole mountain full of redwoods with all kinds of trails of varying degrees of difficulty, so really nothing that special about that one little section.

Come to Mill Valley for breakfast and hike the Dipsea trail out to Stinson Beach!

Muir Woods was awesome! We didn’t need a reservation back then, but it was awesome. Very funny story from there, but I wouldn’t tell it here for a thousand Meadcoins. 

1 hour ago, BuffaloBill said:

Sadly true in union ion square area. 

That at kind of talk is not allowed here...

Yup....although far worse right on Market Street than anywhere else in the FiDi/SoMa/Union Square area.  Hit the ferry building market as someone suggested and walk (or cable car) up California to Grace Cathedral, then walk back to Chinatown, through Dragon's Gate to Union Square.

And whatever you do, don't find yourself in the Tenderloin.

52 minutes ago, Augie said:

Muir Woods was awesome! We didn’t need a reservation back then, but it was awesome. Very funny story from there, but I wouldn’t tell it here for a thousand Meadcoins. 

It is cool for sure and sucks they put the stupid system in place, so if there is a reservation to be had on the website he should go for it, but otherwise you can do your own hiking.

Edited by KD in CA