Biggest Bills win since...?

eball

I'm a "perspective" kind of guy, and while there have been a smattering of "big" wins over the past 20 seasons the majority of them played no eventual role in how the season played out or the trajectory it took.  An impressive win was almost always followed by a head-scratching defeat, and the team rarely won when it wasn't supposed to.  Where does this one rank?  Last year's win at KC was big, but I'm going to go all the way back to 1998 when the big bad Jacksonville Jaguars rolled into Orchard Park and everyone expected them to end the Bills' nice little Flutie story.  If you recall, the Bills were 2-3 after Flutie replaced RJ in week 5 and led them to a victory against the Colts, but those were the hapless Colts while Jacksonville was 5-0 and on a roll.  The Bills stood up to the Jags all day and won it on Flutie's bootleg to send the place into mayhem.  Buffalo rode the Flutie wave to consecutive playoff berths but it was that game that made us believe.

I've misled myself into thinking the Bills were "back" in recent years -- for example, after EJ beat the Panthers in his rookie season, when Bledsoe's Bills started 2-0 (with a shutout of the Pats***), or when Trentative led a 4-0 start -- and it's possible I'm doing it again now.  Such is hopeful optimism.  Something feels different, though.  There's a young, gunslinging QB unfazed by a hostile road crowd who seems to be learning each week.  This was no "fluky" win like the game at Atlanta a season ago -- this was domination from start to finish against a team many pick to represent the NFC in the Super Bowl.  In a league in which almost every game is decided by one or two scores, this one was over after the first quarter.  Maybe it's that I can see Allen becoming the QB the Bills have been searching for since Jim Kelly retired -- a role Flutie served for two brief seasons but which has remained unfilled since.

The current Bills still have holes to plug -- most notably at WR -- but suddenly the young LBs look awesome, the D line is stout, and you can see a blueprint as to where this team is heading as Allen learns on the job.  Hearing a great analyst like Romo essentially gushing about Allen's play yesterday was music to my ears.

If the Bills crash back down to earth next week and are blown out in Green Bay I'm sure some of you will be quick with the "I told you so" quips, but I do trust the process and I think the right leaders are in place for this team and organization.  I think in years to come we will look back upon September 23, 2018, as the day we all started to really believe.  The result yesterday was so unexpected and yet so definitive -- as a Bills fan I've never seen anything like it.  It proves that fans and media have no idea what is really happening inside the locker room, and maybe there's something to be said for what Beane and McD are building.

Here's to enjoying the ride.

• Like (+1) 4

It was actually huge in terms of turning around a bunch of fan base panic. 

Being so dominant over a good team (on paper) means this team hasn’t fallen off the cliff it looked like after week2 and gives hopes the organization still is trending toward getting better and even gives a little hope they could be building from where they were last year. 

5 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

We were playing the 3-8 Colts led by Jacoby Brisset. 

Not to repeat myself , but    We were playing Nate Peterman.     And Jacoby Brisset was supposed to be better than him.  

Nate threw a nice TD to KB before he boneheadly got himself concussed and Shady saved the day in OT  

Lose that game and all chances at the WC were doomed.  we'd be on year 18 of the drought. 

26 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Green Bay honestly hasn't been playing all that great and Rodgers is hobbled.  I don't see a blow out as long as this same team comes to play.

Even with that, gb should really be 2-1. They were screwed in the minny game. They also will probably not overlook us which minny may have. If the front four plays like they did yesterday though, weve got a chance

Edited by BillsSbSoon