Lost in all the celebration: The OL played well.

GreggTX

After 2 dreadful performances to begin the year, the OL played pretty well against the Vikings. True, the Vikes' DL was without it's best player, but that's football. I've rightly criticized them in the past, but I won't spare the praise when they play well. It wasn't perfect, but they played well enough to allow Josh Allen to have a great game. Let's hope this continues going forward.

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

The played better.  They didn't play "well."  RBs didn't see a lot of holes.  

True, but when you're up by 27 points in the 2nd half and you're handing the ball off 3 times in a row, it's not very realistic to expect much more.

Edited by GreggTX

They played better in pass protection

I still feel like they have not gotten the run figured out which is what makes Ivory such a good pickup......a battering ram that will get you 4 yards a carry out of nothing.

but they need to run block better if we are going to truly utilize Shady.   McCoy is not going to get "tough yards"

4 minutes ago, LittleSammy said:

They seemed to play better with Bodine at Center vs. Groy. May not bode well if Bodine is indeed banged up for Green Bay.

I noticed that Groy is still doing that head nod thing when he snaps, and I think that caused the Vikings defense to turn it up a little when he was in. I noticed we were very poor when Bodine was out. 

I think the switch to Bodine helped. Add on the fact that they're getting more reps together to include Allen at QB I think is helping too... Lines are like that they need some time to gel.

Definitely a better performance yesterday than we've been subjected to the previous weeks. The ball was coming out quicker I think the game plan was altered by Daboll to speed things up in the passing game. That's totally ok with me. At least he recognized he needed to change up his offense to suit the abilities of our lineman.

The only real knock was as others have stated the running game wasn't stellar. So they still need a lot of work maybe they just need some better talent. It's week 3 there's plenty of ball left to be played so I'm just going to watch and see if they can keep building on what they do right week to week. Who knows maybe they aren't bad at all when it's all said and done.

• Like (+1) 2

I think the O-line is getting a more even attack this year. Last season, with Incognito, and Glenn/Dawkins on the left, and Tyrod being as mobile as he was, I think defenses tended to attack the right side of Mills and Ducasse quite a bit more. So, I think the left side is getting a lot more pressure this season. Subsequently, Dawkins is struggling a bit more, and Mills isn't looking half bad. He held up pretty well Sunday, I thought, and was a decent run blocker, as well. Hate to say it also, but I think Bodine was an upgrade to Groy. At least, he stayed on his feet. 

Edited by Rocky Landing

Hats off to OL who really stepped up this week.  Wasn't perfect by any means, but night and day difference from the revolving door it had been in preseason and to start the season.  I have been highly critical of this OL up to this point, so happy to say kudos for putting up a good effort against a dangerous defense.  

Good news is that the Packers aren't the same threat upfront as the first 3 teams we played.  So hoping to see them gel more again this week and put another solid effort out there on the field.  

Make no mistake though, we need to still seriously address this OL this offseason.  We get Allen consistent protection and some receivers who can catch and get separation and we could make a big leap net year.