Illegal formation Penalty question

Dablitzkrieg

Just now, LikeIGiveADarn said:

I honestly think they were testing the refs to see what they could get away with in the future. Game was effectively over anyway, see if you can learn to cheat a little for the next game.

My question is why is a wr not lining up on the line an advantage?  Honestly asking because it just seems something inconsequential that a person is 1-2 ft behind the line.

Just now, The Wiz said:

My question is why is a wr not lining up on the line an advantage?  Honestly asking because it just seems something inconsequential that a person is 1-2 ft behind the line. 

on a screen, they are further back from where the DB can be, giving them more time to collect the ball.

It seems to me that I see illegal formations many times during NFL games.  A slot receiver isn’t far enough off the line, or a tackle is a little too far off the line, etc.  I thought it was a little weird that these things were being called since it seems to occur so frequently throughout the league.

1st pic, you've got 2 receivers on the right, both off the LOS.  One needs to be on it.

In the 2nd pic, 3 on the left are all off the LOS; one needs to be on it.

In the 3rd, I'd say the problem is a bit different.  Not too many in the backfield, but rather I assume just an illegal formation.  Newhouse (who presumably is an eligible receiver on this play) & Benjamin are both on the LOS & one should be off for Newhouse to be eligible.

58 minutes ago, eSJayDee said:

1st pic, you've got 2 receivers on the right, both off the LOS.  One needs to be on it.

In the 2nd pic, 3 on the left are all off the LOS; one needs to be on it.

In the 3rd, I'd say the problem is a bit different.  Not too many in the backfield, but rather I assume just an illegal formation.  Newhouse (who presumably is an eligible receiver on this play) & Benjamin are both on the LOS & one should be off for Newhouse to be eligible.

Yes on the third one I believe the problem is that Benjamin and Khari Lee are both on the line on the same side. The receiver can't cover up the tight end. So either Benjamin needed to be off the line, or Lee was lined up on the wrong side. 

On 9/24/2018 at 5:39 PM, The Wiz said:

So I decided to clip all three calls and here they are in order.  All 3 were called too many men in the backfield.  Not exactly sure what I'm looking for but this is how they were lined up.  Sorry for the small images, upload limit and all.

play1.jpg.b58fb2f975db2693314ef79db446227a.jpg

play2.jpg.75f3f1da01747e8123162fd8986b5750.jpg

play3.jpg.b5142931b5b97dd01ef99ddf1d25a2a7.jpg

1.  Ticky-tack

2.  Blatant

3.  Ticky-tack

Edited by Freddie's Dead