Allen's Leap

6 minutes ago, mattynh said:

Great play by Allen but I dont get the comparison to the Kelly play.   That was against the HATED Dolphins, that was for a win on the road in a season where playoffs had meaning, the team was going places.  This team might be going places but its not clear they are this year.   

Allen would need to do something spectacular against NE to win the division from them for this to be comparable.  Could happen in a year or two if things go well.

QBs are remembered for their great passes.  But one run of Kelly's I recall clearly is that one that defeated Miami.  It seemed to be an omen of good things to come.

I'm hoping Allen's run will prove to be similarly memorable, inspirational, and an omen of good things to come.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Figster said:

Question,  has anyone ever seen an injury occur while jumping over a player in this manner? Lots of folks calling it foolish, but is it?

Does it fire up the team? absolutely IMO

Cam Newton has made a living with his aggresive style running and leaping ability making him the hardest QB in the league to defend IMO.

Cam Newton has been remarkably injury free, considering.

I will say this, Allen appears to have that instinct to know just where he is in space and how to adjust for the circumstances.  You can see him bring his L arm in and roll, rather than trying to stay straight ahead and stay on his feet as he lands.  That kind of body control does mitigate the chance of injury.  (I wondered so I looked it up.  Says he studied karate as a kid.)

The thing is, what he can't control is what the defenders around him can do and what that could do to him.  And as one of the announcers said, Barr is gonna hear about that from his teammates for weeks to come.  Now that it's on film in the NFL that Allen can and will do that, no LB is gonna want to be "Barr'd" on Monday.

• Like (+1) 1

I heard Allen seem to acknowledge he should not be pulling stunts like that and it's not something he plans to make a habit of --  I for one am glad he did it because that was a huge first down for us, and it's comforting to know that in those "big game moments" when things are really on the line you never know when he could pull something off like that.

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Cam Newton has been remarkably injury free, considering.

I will say this, Allen appears to have that instinct to know just where he is in space and how to adjust for the circumstances.  You can see him bring his L arm in and roll, rather than trying to stay straight ahead and stay on his feet as he lands.  That kind of body control does mitigate the chance of injury.  (I wondered so I looked it up.  Says he studied karate as a kid.)

The thing is, what he can't control is what the defenders around him can do and what that could do to him.  And as one of the announcers said, Barr is gonna hear about that from his teammates for weeks to come.  Now that it's on film in the NFL that Allen can and will do that, no LB is gonna want to be "Barr'd" on Monday.

Awesome stuff,  that helps explain the body control Allen displays,

sound like a broken record, but I love this kid... 

2 hours ago, Soda Popinski said:

The whole organization was down following both the bad losses the previous two weeks, we needed a spark, that was a great spark from Allen.   

That wasn't a spark - it was a freakin' blowtorch, and he lit it under the ass of every player on the team. Unfortunately, some of the receivers were wearing asbestos underwear.

• Like (+1) 2

35 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I can't find the link, apparently he did that sort of thing at Wyoming.  Someone posted a link from his JuCo team in response to the Bills twitter.

Yep, apparently Allen has experience hurdling players... as exciting as it was, not sure I want him to keep it up though!

Here's a couple videos from Wyoming days-

See around 4:35

And in this one around 3:12 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Figster said:

I just watched it and there is no similarity IMO.

It's not just about the landing. Its also about your QB potentially getting smoked by another defender before or just after landing. That, and the increased chance of a fumble. That ball was far away from Allen's body for a moment. 

That play is bittersweet.

On one hand, it was exciting as hell to watch and shows Allen's character.

On the other, he's lucky he didn't get cut in half and he should never, ever be doing dumb crap like that.

I hope we don't see it again, but I loved it the first time.

Loved the pylon stretch 10x more than the hurdle.  The smartest HOF qbs always put their health and ability to play ahead of what was a very athletic and inspiring hurdle. Great to keep on your career highlight reel Josh, but don't ever do that again. I need you upright throwing lasers in the pocket rather than getting airborne and having your knee blown out for the season. 

One thing you can’t debate is that the kid is a genuine playmaker. He just has that air about him, kind of like Milano. This kind of stuff is the “immeasurables” that you so often hear about. You can’t measure his ability to hurdle a defender. But you want a guy that can make plays to extend drives. He slides and it’s fourth down. 

Loved it. Go play football. It’s a dangerous game, so ball out with your jock out.

that being said. I’m more concerned with his propensity to dive instead of slide when he goes down by choice. 

I dont mean the pylon dive; that was epic.