Allen's Leap

6 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

The TE from Raiders Miller that destroyed his knee and career. 

Zach Miller for the Bears you mean?

Can't find it is why i'm asking

Even so, how many career ending knee injuries occur with a players leg planted on the ground? 

Edited by Figster
  • Sad 1

Just now, Figster said:

I just watched it and there is no similarity IMO.

Same, he made a catch and came down awkwardly on his leg.

These guys are paid to play football. Play it to best of ability. He could get injured dropping back to throw a pass. Should we say oh no don't drop back and throw a pass, its too risky? Fate is in the hands of the football gods. If you are going to get injured, get hurt making a play(not slipping on a mat)...

• Like (+1) 3

At this point of his career, I don't want him overthinking should I slide or make a play? I think there's less chance of him getting hurt following his instincts than trying to make a decision and adding that moment of hesitation letting a defender unload on him.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, jeremy2020 said:

At this point of his career, I don't want him overthinking should I slide or make a play? I think there's less chance of him getting hurt following his instincts than trying to make a decision and adding that moment of hesitation letting a defender unload on him.

Very good point

1 hour ago, Mark Vader said:

An inspiring play for sure. I just hope we don't see anymore of these daredevil plays from him. An injury would be horrible.

What is amazing to me, is that his leap was over a linebacker, not a cornerback or safety, but a linebacker! 

I can't find the link, apparently he did that sort of thing at Wyoming.  Someone posted a link from his JuCo team in response to the Bills twitter.

Patton once said that once in a while he got close enough to the German to be fired at - but not close enough that he'd likely be hurt - just to inspire his soldiers.

I think it was great that Allen hurdled the LB for the first down.  He demonstrated his commitment to winning and willingness to put his body on the line for his team.

I think he'll need to do something like that again once in a while to inspire  the 'troops.'   But I do hope he doesn't get in the habit of recklessly throwing his body around like that.  He's more use to us on the field than on the bench wrapped in medical gauze.    

Great play by Allen but I dont get the comparison to the Kelly play.   That was against the HATED Dolphins, that was for a win on the road in a season where playoffs had meaning, the team was going places.  This team might be going places but its not clear they are this year.   

Allen would need to do something spectacular against NE to win the division from them for this to be comparable.  Could happen in a year or two if things go well.

It was a moment where you were both excited that he did it and thankful that he did not get seriously injured.  Look at what happened to Jimmy G. yesterday.  Sometimes the line between a season ending (career ending) injury and a great effort is thin.  Jimmy G. could easily have stepped out.  He and his team regret that he did not.

In the mean time it will be fun to watch the replay of Alle’s Lead a few thousand times.  What a play.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I can't find the link, apparently he did that sort of thing at Wyoming.  Someone posted a link from his JuCo team in response to the Bills twitter.

You gotta love it , and at the same time you hope other players besides our franchise QB are giving their body up for the team,

thanks for that Hapless

2 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

When Allen hurdled that defender, it reminded of a couple plays from the Bills past.  

The first memory that popped  up was Kelly's dive for the winning TD against Miami in 1989.  The net result of Allen's leap wasn't nearly as momentous but it galvanized the team in a similar way.  I loved hearing Allen's teammates talk excitedly about the play after the game.  

I thought his dive to the pylon reminded me of the Kelly TD myself, though as you said not as dramatic a moment, the swagger and competitive fire in that play was truly Kelly-esque!

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

It was a moment where you were both excited that he did it and thankful that he did not get seriously injured.  Look at what happened to Jimmy G. yesterday.  Sometimes the line between a season ending (career ending) injury and a great effort is thin.  Jimmy G. could easily have stepped out.  He and his team regret that he did not.

In the mean time it will be fun to watch the replay of Alle’s Lead a few thousand times.  What a play.

Jimmy G's injury was non-contact so it might not have mattered.