Russ Bodine made a huge difference

7 hours ago, PeterDude said:

That threw me as well.  I don't recall they tried locking him up long term, they kind of just said meh, we can replace you.

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2018/3/20/17141958/russell-bodine-turned-down-long-term-contract-offer-bengals

Edit: saw someone else posted above

Edited by Bray Wyatt

6 hours ago, PIZ said:

He is correct.  "Russell Bodine turned down long term contract offer from Bengals".  ....

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2018/3/20/17141958/russell-bodine-turned-down-long-term-contract-offer-bengals

"The deal the Bengals offered is said to have been for five-years with little guarantees but far more potential earnings than the two-year, $5 million deal he signed with Buffalo. Bodine turned down the Bengals’ offer and took a gamble on himself in Buffalo".

I think the key words in the above are "little guarantees" and "more potential earnings".  I think he knew the Bengals were looking at drafting a center, and would have been happy to keep him on the roster as an insurance plan - but there was little chance of him seeing those potential earnings and significant chance he'd sign and get cut. 

• Like (+1) 1

I think he's the reason we didn't see the blown protection this game. He may not be an all pro center but he does have years of experience as a starting Center and I have to imagine that helps Allen.

From what I understand it's pretty common for the Center and QB to work out the lines blocks together so I'm thinking just his experience in Allen's ear at the line helped a lot. Groy just doesn't have that experience level playing center.

I'm hoping he's alright does anyone know the status of his injury?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

You couldn’t see the difference between and him and Groy?

In their play?  No, not really, but then I don't have "fast eyes" for following OL blocking and pass protection from the televised video.

What I did see matches with Gunner's remarks, improved protection calls and no unblocked pass rushers, so that's a big improvement right there.  Sitting Thomas and activating Lee may have also played a role.  Thomas whiffed his blocks on at least one, maybe two blitzes last week.

1 minute ago, GrizzReaper said:

Depending on how this line ends up throughout this season I think I want them to draft a monster lineman... At least get us one beast on the line. Idk how FA looks for lineman either but im hoping the line gets some love this off season.

Not great.

The Bills (and the fans) also got to decide on Miller, Groy, Mills and Newhouse all of which are FAs themselves.

Some tough decisions going forward on the OL.

9 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Not great.

The Bills (and the fans) also got to decide on Miller, Groy, Mills and Newhouse all of which are FAs themselves.

Some tough decisions going forward on the OL.

Oh that's just peachy I didn't know all those guys are hitting FA... Well I guess we can take some solace in the fact that they are going to be forced to address the line this off season. 

35 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

Bodine isn't that good. It's just that Groy is that bad. Still, unmentioned ion all the noise about yesterday is the fact that the OL played well -- not great, but that was a solid performance. If they can keep that up, we'll win some games.

Yeah, I have been harping about the OL since we lost Wood and Richie.  I told everyone Groy is not a good starter all off season, and this preseason and first 2 games certainly didn't dispel any of those criticisms.  

That being said, while the OL wasn't perfect, they very much played their best game of 2018 this weekend against a very good defensive front.  I dont know if Bodine is the main difference or not, but certainly was the biggest change we made and a no brainer for next week.  The good news is that GB front 7 isn't as threatening as the first 3 teams we played, so hoping the OL can continue to gel and get some more confidence and momentum in both pass and run game.  

Call me a homer, but I actually believe we will beat the Packers next week.  If this same defense and OL we have had the last 6 quarters of football shows up next week, then I think we will beat the Packers for major odds upset #2.  This team is night and day different between the first 6 quarters of the season and the last 6 quarters we have played.  The last 6 quarters are a team that can beat anyone on any given Sunday, especially as Josh gets more and more comfortable and experience every week.  

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, GrizzReaper said:

Oh that's just peachy I didn't know all those guys are hitting FA... Well I guess we can take some solace in the fact that they are going to be forced to address the line this off season. 

There was some pretty good OL FAs this year and it was the reason I wanted Beane to go and get at least one.

It's water under the bridge now.

There are some decent older lineman available in next years FA so signing 1 or 2 to shorter term deals may be an option.

Not too many prime aged players coming up.

• Like (+1) 1