Beane took a lot of heat for his offseason pick ups

Just now, CuddyDark said:

What makes it bad, it goes against your sensibilities?

What makes it bad is it's wrong.

Period.

The young talent that was making plays all over the field? That's a product of BOTH McDermott AND Beane.

Just because YOU don't like some of their moves doesn't make them bad or even wrong. It means you think you're smarter than you actually are.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

What makes it bad is it's wrong.

Period.

The young talent that was making plays all over the field? That's a product of BOTH McDermott AND Beane.

Just because YOU don't like some of their moves doesn't make them bad or even wrong. It means you think you're smarter than you actually are.

And because YOU like the moves doesn't make them good or even right. It's bad because you disagree with it. Because your ego can't take disagreement.

And because YOU like the moves doesn't make them good or even right. It's bad because you disagree with it. Because your ego can't take disagreement.

:lol:

Sure, tell yourself that. But don't be acting like you were on board the whole time when this thing inevitably all works. Mkay?

• Like (+1) 1

Sure, tell yourself that. But don't be acting like you were on board the whole time when this thing inevitably all works. Mkay?

I think saying McDermott is "better" than Beane is probably a stretch at this point but saying he has proven himself and Beane hasn't yet is perfectly fair. Doesn't mean someone is "not on board". I am completely on board with McDermott and have been since day 1. I am content with Beane for now on the basis that he and McDermott are totally aligned. His moves have been mixed this far - but if he has hit on Allen the mixed moves elsewhere matter less.

That isn't digging heels in on anything that is a reasonable take on where things are as of today. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Maybe we should revisit that......

P Corey Bojorquez - Some good some bad today.....has quite the leg

CB Ryan Lewis - thought he played very well considering he is brand new

C Russell Bodine - Hated upon greatly.....and not a star....but has stuck on the Bengals for years....not as bad as made out to be

T Marshall Newhouse - Low end free agent signing

RB Chris Ivory - Has been exactly as advertised and a good signing

DT - Star L. - Not putting up the stats.....but sure does take on the double teams allowing others to do their thing....really helped Milano today

DE - Trent Murphy - getting better by the game.....starting to get pressure and make plays

I think it's true that many of us (me!) have left Ivory off the list when listing Beane's failed signings.

And I notice you're leaving Vonte Davis and Corey Coleman off the list.  No fair.

So.  Beane gets credit for Ivory.  Good soldier, good add.

I sort it now:

Fails:

Newhouse (awful when he plays, may not have the focus to come into the game cold as an extra lineman).  Mills and Dawkins: please take care

Vontae Davis

Corey Coleman

Poor:

Russell Bodine.  I think he may have stuck around because maybe he has a head for the game, but he's just as awful at the point of attack as Groy.

Jury's still out, but stock rising:

Ryan Lewis

Trent Murphy (starting to look like what we thought we were getting)

Marcus Murphy

Nate Orchard

Corey Bojorquez

Good:

Star Lotulelei

Chris Ivory

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think saying McDermott is "better" than Beane is probably a stretch at this point but saying he has proven himself and Beane hasn't yet is perfectly fair. Doesn't mean someone is "not on board". I am completely on board with McDermott and have been since day 1. I am content with Beane for now on the basis that he and McDermott are totally aligned. His moves have been mixed this far - but if he has hit on Allen the mixed moves elsewhere matter less.

That isn't digging heels in on anything that is a reasonable take on where things are as of today. 

This I can tolerate. But people like CD who are in the "Brandon Beane is terrible" camp I cannot. Because it's simply incorrect.

He's a massive upgrade over Whaley.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think it's true that many of us (me!) have left Ivory off the list when listing Beane's failed signings.

And I notice you're leaving Vonte Davis and Corey Coleman off the list.  No fair.

So.  Beane gets credit for Ivory.  Good soldier, good add.

I sort it now:

Fails:

Newhouse (awful when he plays, may not have the focus to come into the game cold as an extra lineman).  Mills and Dawkins: please take care

Vontae Davis

Corey Coleman

Poor:

Russell Bodine.  I think he may have stuck around because maybe he has a head for the game, but he's just as awful at the point of attack as Groy.

Jury's still out, but stock rising:

Ryan Lewis

Trent Murphy (starting to look like what we thought we were getting)

Marcus Murphy

Nate Orchard

Corey Bojorquez

Good:

Star Lotulelei

Chris Ivory

Agree, except I still have Star on the jury out list. A team one dimensional so early, throwing it every play, is not the offense to judge Star against. It is teams who wanna run it down our throats where I need to see his impact to move him to the good. 

9 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

I've been on board with McDermott from day one. I think he's going to be a top ten coach. He needs to actually have players workout and not be busts, especially in free agency. He needs overachievers to come onboard. He didn't get any by my count this offseason. He got 2 or 3 last offseason. Bills actually got 2 or 3 for the last 2 or 3 years. Only change is Beane has full control of the free agent signings.

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Agree, except I still have Star on the jury out list. A team one dimensional so early, throwing it every play, is not the offense to judge Star against. It is teams who wanna run it down our throats where I need to see his impact to move him to the good. 

I was more basing on starting to watch all-22 of the D last week.  I think he was "doing his job" more than believed and that the flaws in run D were more on the LB getting faked out and losing gap integrity.  I think the difference the second half last week and this week was more improvement in LB play. 

But TBH I don't have the "football eyes" to pick that stuff up off televised video.

1 minute ago, joesixpack said:

This I can tolerate. But people like CD who are in the "Brandon Beane is terrible" camp I cannot. Because it's simply incorrect.

I don't think he is a proven massive upgrade on Whaley yet. I think Whaley was average, which is better than most on this board seem to.  Can Beane be an upgrade? Yep. Getting Josh Allen right would already make him one. Finding a Franchise QB is the most important part of the job. 

1 minute ago, CuddyDark said:

I've been on board with McDermott from day one. I think he's going to be a top ten coach. He needs to actually have players workout and not be busts, especially in free agency. He needs overachievers to come onboard. He didn't get any by my count this offseason. He got 2 or 3 last offseason. Bills actually got 2 or 3 for the last 2 or 3 years. Only change is Beane has full control of the free agent signings.

FA isn't how you build a team. The draft is.

Also, it's kind of tough to be a buyer in FA with the dead cap. If you were truly a fair judge, you'd see how they do in FA next year before proclaiming the man a terrible GM.

The only upgrade is Josh Allen and he's still a rookie. On every other front I would say Whaley is ahead or it's a push.

Just now, GunnerBill said:

I don't think he is a proven massive upgrade on Whaley yet. I think Whaley was average, which is better than most on this board seem to.  Can Beane be an upgrade? Yep. Getting Josh Allen right would already make him one. Finding a Franchise QB is the most important part of the job. 

I look at his drafting, and find a massive upgrade.

Whaley was absolute **** for drafting.

The only upgrade is Josh Allen and he's still a rookie. On every other front I would say Whaley is ahead or it's a push.

Absurd take. If you're counting Tre White, Milano and Dawkins on Whaley's tab, that's a joke.

Also, it's kind of tough to be a buyer in FA with the dead cap. If you were truly a fair judge, you'd see how they do in FA next year before proclaiming the man a terrible GM.

Never said he was terrible. I don't think he's added any value to his job. Again if Josh Allen becomes a star, fine. But on every other value we have to have hope when it comes to Beane. It's always, wait til next year from people like you.

• Like (+1) 1

I look at his drafting, and find a massive upgrade.

Whaley was absolute **** for drafting.

Absurd take. If you're counting Tre White, Milano and Dawkins on Whaley's tab, that's a joke.

You just make excuses. Everything is just an excuse for you. It's bias and not worthy of discussion.

Except it's not.

:rolleyes:

See, I have the ability to understand that this was at minimum a three-year process. You, apparently, can not.

No I thought it was a five year process. I'd give McDermott five years. I probably wouldn't even fire him after five years because he's a leader of men. As I said before McDermott could have a coaching career like Marvin Lewis and I wouldn't fire him. I would however fire Beane in year three.

5 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

I think both those "hot takes" (massive upgrade and terrible) are premature.

Whaley brought in more talent than most people think, and Brandon Beane so far may have a "blind spot" in one of the places that was a strength of Whaley's crew.

OTOH Whaley had massive failures to "go for the gusto" and bring in the candidate franchise QB and game changer LB we needed. 

Right now it looks to me as though Beane's strengths were Whaley's weakness - and vice versa - which makes it hard to say one is better or worse until things settle out.

If Allen and Edmunds both prove out (over the course of 2 seasons, not 2 1/2 games), I will fully give you Beane is an upgrade overall - but he has GOT to improve his pro personnel scouting and stop with the "high ceiling, low floor" injured pro-bowl-dude/busting 1st round pick rifle shots.  The guys brought in to fill out the roster have to be closer to sure bets.

• Like (+1) 2

You just make excuses. Everything is just an excuse for you. It's bias and not worthy of discussion.

Right.

So tell me again how the LAME DUCK gm was responsible for those picks, not McDermott.

Meanwhile, Whaley's gems in the first round...Watkins (who cost WAY too much), Shaq Lawson (pure trash at the DE position), Manuel (BWAHAHAHA) and Gilmore (massively overrated).

So again, tell me where the bias is in THAT factual accounting.

15 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

I'm not sure what the OP you're responding to means by FA, but you can't fill a roster with the draft, either.  Past the 4th round or so, everyone has low odds.

To me, you have to fill out the roster with FA - not the big name high price FA, but the 2nd and 3rd tier FA guys you bring in to fill gaps and the UDFA you sign to backstop yourself from failure of the late round draft picks.

Beane seems to have a tendency to go for rifle shots - the "high ceiling/low floor" guys like Edmunds and Allen.  To build the franchise, you need a couple key guys who are superstars and unless you're drafting at the top of the draft, that's what a GM has to do.  Bully for Beane.  Whaley never would.

But when you're filling your roster out, you need guys who can play and maybe you hope they can play more or better than they've shown so far.  And Beane has a distressing tendency to go for the same "high ceiling/low floor" guys there (Vontae, Corey Coleman) - which is great if you hit.  So far his track record is mixed at best.  IMHO it looks like their pro personnel scouting has massive gaps and is superficial, or how would they not know who AJM was ("he's not who we thought he was") or what Corey Coleman's attitude and learning curve would be?

Beane does not get a "pass" for the dead cap, because he created it.  Coleman, $2.9M dead cap fluttering off in less than a month, like baby birdies fluttering out of the nest onto the porch floor to be gobbled up by the neighbor's cats.

• Thank you (+1) 1