Beane took a lot of heat for his offseason pick ups

Maybe we should revisit that......

P Corey Bojorquez - Some good some bad today.....has quite the leg

CB Ryan Lewis - thought he played very well considering he is brand new

C Russell Bodine - Hated upon greatly.....and not a star....but has stuck on the Bengals for years....not as bad as made out to be

T Marshall Newhouse - Low end free agent signing

RB Chris Ivory - Has been exactly as advertised and a good signing

DT - Star L. - Not putting up the stats.....but sure does take on the double teams allowing others to do their thing....really helped Milano today

DE - Trent Murphy - getting better by the game.....starting to get pressure and make plays

• Like (+1) 6

Trent looks about as advertised:  a tall, long guy that has some skills but missed training camp and hasnt played meaningful football in a year.   

Bodine was the best we could find on short notice.  Newhouse huge but slow.  (Dumb penalty today v costly)

Ivory slow but better than I expected.

Star overpaid but ok.

Anxious to see Ryan Lewis All 22.  He might be good.  Lord knows we need him.

Orchard flashed a little today at DE.

We should have got Mack, even if it cost us two firsts.  One pick we will burn on an edge guy anyway, so its like giving up one 1st rounder in two years for a second round pick swap (thats the deal chicago got), raiders #2 for bears #1.  Total absolute no brainer to get a dominant guy in his prime that would have loved playing here.    That failure to make the trade will haunt Beane.   

15 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Maybe we should revisit that......

P Corey Bojorquez - Some good some bad today.....has quite the leg

CB Ryan Lewis - thought he played very well considering he is brand new

C Russell Bodine - Hated upon greatly.....and not a star....but has stuck on the Bengals for years....not as bad as made out to be

T Marshall Newhouse - Low end free agent signing

RB Chris Ivory - Has been exactly as advertised and a good signing

DT - Star L. - Not putting up the stats.....but sure does take on the double teams allowing others to do their thing....really helped Milano today

DE - Trent Murphy - getting better by the game.....starting to get pressure and make plays

it does take time but my issue with star is not stats as he is a plugger, I just don't think you need to pay that much for a guy who takes on Double teams.

2 minutes ago, Da webster guy said:

Trent looks about as advertised:  a tall, long guy that has some skills but missed training camp and hasnt played meaningful football in a year.   

Bodine was the best we could find on short notice.  Newhouse huge but slow.  (Dumb penalty today v costly)

Ivory slow but better than I expected.

Star overpaid but ok.

Anxious to see Ryan Lewis All 22.  He might be good.  Lord knows we need him.

Orchard flashed a little today at DE.

We should have got Mack, even if it cost us two firsts.  One pick we will burn on an edge guy anyway, so its like giving up one 1st rounder in two years for a second round pick swap (thats the deal chicago got), raiders #2 for bears #1.  Total absolute no brainer to get a dominant guy in his prime that would have loved playing here.    That failure to make the trade will haunt Beane.   

No way on Mack , we need those picks to rebuild and McD has got the defense rolling again.

I still hate Newhouse and want him gone even more than DuCasse.. 

Newhouse has always been a low effort penalty machine. I’d rather have Benjamin line up at tackle than that guy. 

I was not very worried about the other signings compared to how many were on here going nuts we paid some of these guys to come here. I will stand by my Newhouse assessment though and pray they replace him ASAP. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Da webster guy said:

They are trying to come out of cap hell...they had traded three picks this year to get their two 1st round picks...they weren't going to make another blockbuster that would involve their next two years 1st rounders and then pay $140M contract....Just was not going to happen.

Thought the lot of them played pretty well yesterday.  Especially thought Ivory played well, wasn’t expecting that.  Expected Marcus Murphy to look better than he did when he ran the ball. 

Need to keep it up, one game does not make a season.

Edited by davefan66
  • Like (+1) 1

You forgot to add Vontae to your list John.....

My questions with Trent Murphy were always health. I liked him coming out and he has made plays in the league when healthy. He was 100% not ready to go week 1 he was basically limping out there. He looked healthy for the first time yesterday and the results were encouraging.

On Star, yesterday showed us nothing - the Vikings were made one dimensional early. The test for him comes against teams who want to run it and run it straight at us. I still think we vastly overpaid for an average talent.

Bodine looked like an upgrade on Groy - not massively in a physical sense - but in the sense that I think they made the right protection adjustments yesterday. The free blitzers running at the Quarterback simply didn't happen this week.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

No way on Mack , we need those picks to rebuild and McD has got the defense rolling again.

Agree 100 percent, especially if Hughes would have been part of the trade.  If anything happens to JA, we’ll be right back in the discussion for first overall pick.

Edited by mannc
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

You forgot to add Vontae to your list John.....

My questions with Trent Murphy were always health. I liked him coming out and he has made plays in the league when healthy. He was 100% not ready to go week 1 he was basically limping out there. He looked healthy for the first time yesterday and the results were encouraging.

On Star, yesterday showed us nothing - the Vikings were made one dimensional early. The test for him comes against teams who want to run it and run it straight at us. I still think we vastly overpaid for an average talent.

Bodine looked like an upgrade on Groy - not massively in a physical sense - but in the sense that I think they made the right protection adjustments yesterday. The free blitzers running at the Quarterback simply didn't happen this week.

Dig in on those opinions, gunner.....diiiiiig in

Just now, H2o said:

So........ We don't want to fire Beane this week? 

Anyone shouting for firings after two weeks was being utterly ridiculous.  Equally it is safe to say that the key judgment for Beane is how Allen and Edmunds look this year and how he spends his capital (both $$s and draft) in 2019. His FA class did better yesterday (because Trent was healthy and Shady was not). I still don't think you can yet class it as a good FA class.

• Like (+1) 2

It's important to keep in mind that no GM ever bats 1000. I always assume that you will overpay in FA. It's the nature of the beast. Clearly though, this FO has a plan and is sticking to it. They've cleaned out most of the dead wood, acquired their QB of the present and future, and now will begin surrounding him with talent in 2019.

Edited by DefenseWins

11 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Anyone shouting for firings after two weeks was being utterly ridiculous.  Equally it is safe to say that the key judgment for Beane is how Allen and Edmunds look this year and how he spends his capital (both $$s and draft) in 2019. His FA class did better yesterday (because Trent was healthy and Shady was not). I still don't think you can yet class it as a good FA class.

Allen looked better yesterday and so did Edmunds outside of a couple bad angles when attacking the LOS. Yes, the "fire everyone" talk was as stupid as you can get. It's amazing how Billspolar some people are. 

• Like (+1) 4

56 minutes ago, Captain_Quint said:

Also dont forget about Benjamin. He was last years pick up, but still looks slow and drops every other pass thrown his way. The fact that they came into the season with him as a #1 wasnt a good idea. 

They figured it out in Carolina before we did, but what options did we really have? #DeadCapLife

• Like (+1) 1