Opposing defenses will adjust to Allen going forward

TigerJ

This kid has every single intangible that you would hope for in a quarterback:

Size

Strength

Great arm

Mobility

Strong football acumen

Burning desire to win, sacrifice all to get it done.

We honestly haven't had much of these attributes since Kelly left. Allen is so much more of a quarterback than we have seen in years. To compare Taylor to him is simply laughable, and insulting to the kid. I saw one of the ESPN idiots comment this morning that "Buffalo wishes they had Taylor to tutor Allen." Yes, I'm certain. 

• Like (+1) 5

34 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

I agree.  There is going to be something of a race going on.  Josh Allen is going to be learning and getting better, and defensive coordinators are going to be learning about him and trying to contain him.  I'm not down on him at all, and I'm excited about the future.  It is the combination of learning (Allen and opposing DCs that is going to make the next several weeks interesting and exciting.  I also agree about Allen's skill set.  Opposing DCs were sometimes successful at game planning for Tyrod because his skill set was somewhat narrowly defined.  Allen looks like a far more complete QB.  That will hopefully make the game planning challenge for opposing DCs a whole lot tougher.

Looks like, oh no, he is way more complete and it isn't even close.

55 minutes ago, Max Fischer said:

So far, I'm not seeing many rookie tendencies.  He uses the whole field, has no favorite receiver, his touch passes improve every week and it's just a matter of time before he starts to hit the home run ball.  The greatest weakness is he doesn't have experience and may be susceptible to "new" defenses. 

I think "not having experience" and "new defenses" thing are basically the same thing

46 minutes ago, mattynh said:

He looked great against a great defense but 196 yards is not chewed up and spit out.  He took advantage of the opportunities that were given to him by the defense and made some nice individual plays.      

I think more of that is the Bills taking their foot off the gas in the second quarter.  We were happy to just run the ball and chew up the clock.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TigerJ said:

When you have a rookie QB, the opposing team does not know what to expect in his first few games.  A few more games into the season and opposing defensive coordinators are going to begin to have more extensive game film to study.  That will enable them to game plan more specifically to counter his skill set.  I'm thrilled with what Josh Allen is doing and I am very optimistic for the future, but as we move deeper into the season, that chess game thing is going to happen with respect to game planning.

I guess they should be worried in KC with Mahomes for the same reason, right?

58 minutes ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

just a reminder. this was the very highly regarded vikings defense allen chewed up and spit out. 

Yes it was despite the numerous times they shot themselves in the @$$ with penalties and mistakes. He had a good game against an exceptional defense who was off their game. He took full advantage of it

1 hour ago, TigerJ said:

When you have a rookie QB, the opposing team does not know what to expect in his first few games.  A few more games into the season and opposing defensive coordinators are going to begin to have more extensive game film to study.  That will enable them to game plan more specifically to counter his skill set.  I'm thrilled with what Josh Allen is doing and I am very optimistic for the future, but as we move deeper into the season, that chess game thing is going to happen with respect to game planning.

One can only hope.....I will choose to remain optimistic. 

They will learn to watch for Josh on the run, but all things are connected. The coolest part of today was watching them move to two deep safeties, which bodes well when Shady comes back. 

OK, ONE of the coolest parts!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

I guess they should be worried in KC with Mahomes for the same reason, right?

I don't know that they should be worried in KC, but it's almost a certainty that Mahomes will not maintain the pace that he's had thus far through the entire rest of the season, and part of the reason is that defenses will somewhat catch up to the things KC is doing differently because Mahomes is under center.  I expect KC is going to continue to be effective, just not quite as explosive.   Of course, Buffalo is not looking like anywhere near the offensive juggernaut that KC appears to be at the moment, so it's a bit of an apples to oranges comparison

13 minutes ago, Augie said:

They will learn to watch for Josh on the run, but all things are connected. The coolest part of today was watching them move to two deep safeties, which bodes well when Shady comes back. 

OK, ONE of the coolest parts!

Yeah, that was good to see.  Forcing opponents to adjust to Josh Allen as a passing threat can only mean good things for the running game.

Edited by TigerJ

1 hour ago, TigerJ said:

This would be true if he was only able to handle certain things so shutting them down would be easier.  He's working with a makeshift offensive line and receivers that are C and D grade.  He's doing unconventional things and isn't showing tendencies.  Defenses are already throwing everything at him and he's overcoming some of them with athleticism.  It wasn't a throwing exhibition as much as heart, determination and unbelievable compete level.  

Defenses should be doing exactly what they're doing but he's winning some of those battles.  What would you suggest they do, rush him more?  Shut down the run?  Take away his favorite throwing lanes or outlets?  

I think the more they try and take away the things he's doing - the more conventional things he'll be able to do.  

1 hour ago, harv shitz said:

This kid has every single intangible that you would hope for in a quarterback:

Size

Strength

Great arm

Mobility

Strong football acumen

Burning desire to win, sacrifice all to get it done.

We honestly haven't had much of these attributes since Kelly left. Allen is so much more of a quarterback than we have seen in years. To compare Taylor to him is simply laughable, and insulting to the kid. I saw one of the ESPN idiots comment this morning that "Buffalo wishes they had Taylor to tutor Allen." Yes, I'm certain. 

Sorry to quibble but, with the exception of "Burning desire to win, sacrifice all to get it done.", all of these are tangibles

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Doc said:

His ability to run, not to mention his size, plus what he showed today which was an ability to throw on the run, will make it hard for DC's.  If they get him some real weapons...

I don't know how you game plan for a QB who literally - literally - leaps over defenders

2 hours ago, TigerJ said:

"The tape" has eventually killed off all of the Bills prospective franchise QB's since Kelly.

Flaws get exposed.

Tyrod and Fitz *almost* passed the film test but their flaws eventually got exploited.

That's why it's nice having a all-around gifted physical specimen like Allen.

If he can process the info he should survive the tape.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

"The tape" has eventually killed off all of the Bills prospective franchise QB's since Kelly.

Flaws get exposed.

Tyrod and Fitz *almost* passed the film test but their flaws eventually got exploited.

That's why it's nice having a all-around gifted physical specimen like Allen.

If he can process the info he should survive the tape.

All I know is I look forward to defenses "make him be a quarterback"

I dare you to sit back and keep him in the pocket defenses.....I dare you

• Like (+1) 4

2 hours ago, mattynh said:

He looked great against a great defense but 196 yards is not chewed up and spit out.  He took advantage of the opportunities that were given to him by the defense and made some nice individual plays.      

This is one of those stats not telling the whole story scenarios. Of the 196 yds he had ~180 yds in the first half before they went conservative and ran the ball to sit on the lead. He also had some huge drops by Foster, Benjamin, and Clay that would potentially have added another 100 yds and 3 passing TDs (though he rushed for a TD after the Clay drop).